Beany's 10 Day BOSS Build - 1/48 F3H-2 Demon

For Hobby Boss kits -- any genre, type, scale, etc ...
GB runs 1 to 29 Nov and your host is TobyC.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's 10 Day BOSS Build - 1/48 F3H-2 Demon

Post by beany »

I said I would have to leave this until after Telford but I seemed to have let time get away from
me, so this will have to be somewhat of a Blitzbau.

My chosen subject is the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale McDonnell F3H-2 Demon. The kit has 220 parts,
7 clear parts, a small etched fret and markings for any of four different aircraft. Here is what
I'm starting with (some parts already removed sprues but no gluing or painting has been done).

Two differing shades of grey plastic have been used - I couldn't tell you why, but I know there are
different variants of this kit available, so maybe there are common sprues for all, but individual
ones to determine the final variant?!

Three of the four decals options shown on one side of the colour painting plan sheet...

...and the fourth on the other side. I haven't decided which one I will be doing yet.

Example instruction sheet pages - very nicely laid out - colour call outs are for Mr,Hobby and
Gunze Sangyo paints, but can easily be found on colour comparison charts for Humbrol or Tamiya
(and maybe even Xtracolor) paints that I have to hand.

Right, well I'd better crack on then. It doesn't help that I'll be working away from home on 12 hour
shifts for part of next week, but I'll try as best I can to finish it for the 29th!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Beany's 10 Day BOSS Build - 1/48 F3H-2 Demon

Post by iggie »

This is going to be worth watching!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Popcorn at the ready, go beany go
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Now that looks like a good kit.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

beany wrote:Two differing shades of grey plastic have been used - I couldn't tell you why...

It turns out I can tell you why - it's because there are two kits in this box, not one. :oops:
The other kit is a Revell 1/48 Phantom which I put in this box because I hate the stupid end-opening type boxes Revell use and so cut it up!

So, we'll say no more about that and get on with the build. Cockpit first as always - quite nicely detailed although the seat is a bit bare - no cushioning or seat belts provided, but I had toyed with the idea of stealing one of the Phantom pilots that come with the Revell kits and seating him in the Demon, to mask the lack of seat detail - I only hope he can be made to fit.

I threw together the supplied weaponry as well while the cockpit parts were drying.

A feature I like with this kit is the way the manufacturer has tried to protect delicate parts on the runners with foam and tape - 10 out of 10 for effort there!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Hobby Boss kits”