Sign-up and Chat

Any subject, any scale, just so long as it fits within the outer diameter of a CD (or DVD, or BlueRay). And some of those famous UAMF extra ninja brownie bonus points if you can match the CD/DVD with the subject of the build.
Runs 20 Dec to 31 Jan, and your host is jRatz.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is a holiday mojo-builder that started from a thread here, which itself has links back to two threads that are the real root - and for which we must credit members Splash and Sir T for the idea and preliminaries.

The GB runs from December 20th to January 31st (all times local); your GBL is jRatz.

The GB is a play on words - Compact Disc and Compact Diorama - and the purpose/goal is to build a model of any scale or subject or whatever, preferably a small scene, that fits completely within the circumference of a CD (or equivalent size DVD, BlueRay - you get the idea.)

Extra credit and karma is awarded if the subject of the diorama matches the CD title.

I think all questions have been answered in the main thread, but here's a summary:

-- The title was Compact Diorama to match Compact Disc, the limiting base/size for the model. It is really difficult to say a real diorama was intended or that was just a clever play on words or both, but then again, an aircraft or car sitting on tarmac is essentially, albeit weakly, a diorama. Probably the best assumption was that the CD would be covered with something and we'd not just have a shiny CD, hole and all, sitting there. But in the end, just building a model that fits within a CD is OK ....

-- To fit completely within the circumference might require some creativity, we have already had some discussion about placing an aircraft in an extreme bank to get the wings to fit.

-- The CD may be in any position, not just horizontal - we have had some discussion that suggests something creatively blasting out of a vertical CD.

-- You may use an old, blank CD, as the base - you do not have to ruin a good one (although some have dangerously suggested using one of their partner's sappy favorites - that's a judgment call for which UAMF bears no responsibility). However, if you are claiming the CDio matches CDisc award, you must display the subject CDisc next to your CDio.

That should do it, but if not ask away.

I am really looking forward to this - when it first came up, I had an idea snack me right in the forehead and I have been waiting ever since. Since then we have had a couple discussions that indicate some very creative ideas. I hope everyone is ready .... we start on the 20th.

So, check in here and start your thread as soon as you can ....
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by philp »

Checking in. Will start my thread when I get to that point. Still have a Review kit that has priority.

Also still stuck on which idea(s) to go for. Will need to look at the models and make my choice(s).
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Checking in with photos on the morning.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
fredk

Post by fredk »

Checking in. Will start as soon as I can but don't know just when.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

All present and correct (ish) here!
Photos to follow, but I'm unlikely to start before Chrimbo due to work and family pressures......oh and the Revell Merlin helicopter currently occupying the bench :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I will be joining in, but an early start is unlikely, as I am still marking exams!
Up in the Great White North
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Dammit! ....just had another idea! ....need to see if I can pick up a 1/144 Me.262
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Checking in and able to start straight away as I have no work to get in the way. :-D I will lose a week in the middle though as I will be off to 'sunnier climes' mid way through.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Purplethistle wrote:Dammit! ....just had another idea! ....need to see if I can pick up a 1/144 Me.262
Revell did one in their recent Micro Wings series.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
fredk

Post by fredk »

Arcwelder wrote:
Purplethistle wrote:Dammit! ....just had another idea! ....need to see if I can pick up a 1/144 Me.262
Recent? :shock: you're a new boy on the block. :lol: That kit is over 40 years old. Its terrible, but also very cheap. About £2 at LMS or £1 when I got mine from Hannants [no longer in stock]
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Although I'm not taking part I shall follow this with interest. Hoping someone will have a Thin Lizzy CD with a Lysander on it :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Here's my USS Freedom in 1/1250 ish scale. It's a no-name prepainted model, but I've added the camouflage and done some detail painting and weathering.

Up in the Great White North
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

fredk wrote:
Arcwelder wrote:
Recent? :shock: you're a new boy on the block. :lol: That kit is over 40 years old. Its terrible, but also very cheap. About £2 at LMS or £1 when I got mine from Hannants [no longer in stock]
Heh. I meant the "Micro Wings" branding. And yes, it ain't great but at least cheap.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I'm on board - thread started. I'm really busy at this time of year but I hope to do something.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote:Here's my USS Freedom in 1/1250 ish scale. It's a no-name prepainted model, but I've added the camouflage and done some detail painting and weathering.

That is really nice Andrew!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “"C"ompact "D"iorama GB”