Marky's Battle in the Mutara Nebula. ***FINISHED***

Any subject, any scale, just so long as it fits within the outer diameter of a CD (or DVD, or BlueRay). And some of those famous UAMF extra ninja brownie bonus points if you can match the CD/DVD with the subject of the build.
Runs 20 Dec to 31 Jan, and your host is jRatz.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Marky's Battle in the Mutara Nebula.

Post by Purplethistle »

splash wrote:I thought about doing a space based theme, but gave up the idea as it would have no atmosphere :-D
I was going to do a jokey space one, but reckoned that there would be disapproval at my lack of gravity :ha:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Oh dear, still, jokes I find funny!. Anyhow, health has improved greatly since Tuesday and work has commenced!. I may have to pinch the CD case idea, as it will make the background picture look better than if it was wrapped around the DVD. Although the K'T'Inga cruiser in the set looked very bendy and soft plastic it's really not bad. The parts of the Enterprise fit superbly, even if it is a snap fix kit. It is hard to see the seams!. Only the sprue gates that attach to the saucer section have left any sort of problem and that is two millimetre sized holes which shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Decals cover almost everything so surface detail is minimal, but you do get aztec style decals to go on the models, plenty of decals, the sheet is A5 size!!.
The DVD was photocopied(!) to make this but it's not very colourful so I might try and use the small movie poster in the boxed set.
Kit box pics.
And the background shot from the scene I am trying to replicate. Unfortunatley the Enterprise's engine does not clear the shot before it changes to the next scene, so I will have to sort that later!.
Half an hour's work yesterday and I had the secondary hull complete, apart from engines, and the saucer done!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
philp

Post by philp »

Another option for the base would be to match it up to the background colors to give that all around Nebula look.

How about some pics of the builds so far? I really want to see how big they are compared to the CD. I have the kits in the 1/1000 line.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

philp wrote:Another option for the base would be to match it up to the background colors to give that all around Nebula look.

How about some pics of the builds so far? I really want to see how big they are compared to the CD. I have the kits in the 1/1000 line.
Working on pics, might get them sorted tomorrow. Sadly I don't think I will get the separation between the two ships on the DVD as there is on screen!. Would need a twelve inch vinyl for that!!.
philp

Post by philp »

I think representing the multi level look from the movie will give most who have seen the show the idea of what is going on.

Now, if you can make them move in the two different plains, that would be cool.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Apologies for the delay in pics, they are taken and on my computer but Photobucket seems not to want to finish loading and was terrible yesterday. Still no go today, my computer may not be the latest thing but PB usually works. Must have had Christmas off as I've heard elsewhere here that others have had the same problems.
Will keep trying. :grin:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:I thought about doing a space based theme, but gave up the idea as it would have no atmosphere :-D
A vacuum of ideas... :razz:
Up in the Great White North
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

If it's mid-day it's time for food, you know launch time :ha:
Besides if I get this done quickly you can wait less.....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

We had a family viewing of Wrath of Khan tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing this now.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

AndrewR wrote:We had a family viewing of Wrath of Khan tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing this now.
Argh! pressure, why do I do this to myself!?! (Enter GB's with a good idea I mean). Seriously though, I am trying to put the decals on the Enterprise right now, they really cover everything and overhang if you don't trim them close. Just remembered I have some clear sprue which will help with mounting them, although it will involve drilling an unsightly hole into each ship, I should be able to hide that enough!.
Going to check PB in a moment and hopefully get some pics up at last!!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Nope, still can't get PB to drop over the finish line. Maybe my computer can't manage it anymore. Will try again tomorrow. :evil:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MarkyM607 wrote:Nope, still can't get PB to drop over the finish line. Maybe my computer can't manage it anymore. Will try again tomorrow. :evil:
I solved some problems by logging out of Photobucket and then logging in again. But it is frustrating when it goes wacky at a peak picture posting time like Christmas.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hooray, PB has managed it, or my computer has!. Just a couple of pics to show the size of the Enterprise (minus engines) to the DVD. Construction has not moved on much since these pics as I am applying the decals while the model is accessible, which is before it is completed!.
Looking to make a mounting hole in the Enterprise's deflector dish to stand her nose down. Not sure about the Reliant just yet but will get going on her later. :grin:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Khannnnnnnnnnnnn!

Looking good Marky!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just a few pics to show progress so far, which is slow but steady. As I think I've said there is little surface detail as everything is decals. They come off the backing paper well and go on well but are prone to splitting. Luckily I've rescued them and they do look good once on. I've also been adopting a policy of decal on then varnish, then another decal and so on. Also have Micro Sol Setting Solution which is a great help.

Return to “"C"ompact "D"iorama GB”