Heavy Metal **Finished**

Any subject, any scale, just so long as it fits within the outer diameter of a CD (or DVD, or BlueRay). And some of those famous UAMF extra ninja brownie bonus points if you can match the CD/DVD with the subject of the build.
Runs 20 Dec to 31 Jan, and your host is jRatz.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Heavy Metal **Finished**

Post by philp »

Ok, the Dakota is in the final stages so have some time to finally start this.

Still not sure which of the ideas I have but will probably go with this one to start.

These are from Bombshell Miniatures and based on their mascot, Maelee. The main components were from a Kickstarter I supported. This gave me Maelee, the robot base she is standing on and 3 of the BdE robots. I also got an extra Leader bot to add to the fun.

Besides painting them up I need to decide what to put on the base. The big bot is just a waist up relic so I can either try and add some leg bits buried in the ground or just add some debris for the rest of the base. We will see how things go as I might add some building ruins but will see how long it takes to paint everyone up.

Other titles I have thought about this are Mr. Roboto by Styx (but it is just the song) or maybe something from Iron Maiden as Maelee fits but would have to look at some of their albums so will probably just stay with what I have.
Clashcityrocker

Re: Heavy Metal

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks very cool. The Artist and Album naming was just for a little bit of extra fun. The main game was to put a diorama on a compact disc. :grin:

Nigel
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Cool! Great idea and interesting figures!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Should be interesting !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Pick any Manowar album. Problem solved.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
philp

Post by philp »

Dakota is done and published (picks in my Workbench) so on to this one.

I cleaned up the mold lines (actually pretty faint) on the figures the other day and today I drilled some holes in some feet and superglued some pins.

Got them lined up and sprayed with Tamiya primer.

And the base bot also got cleaned up and a primer coat.

Tomorrow I can start the flesh tones on Maelee and the basic colors on the bots.

Still trying to figure out what to put on the rest of the base to tie it all together. Lots of little gears and bits on the robot base so will have to add some bits and bobs around as I go.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Those figures are really sharp. White metal?
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
iggie

Post by iggie »

Interesting figures, I've not seen or heard of them before and am looking forward to seeing the finished article!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
philp

Post by philp »

Arcwelder wrote:Those figures are really sharp. White metal?
The figures are metal but the base bot is resin.

I have quite a few figures from them and they are all very nice.
philp

Post by philp »

Day started with some snow flurries but they have since turned to rain.

Still managed to spray a base coat on the bots.

First the trooper bot which got some Tamiya Pure White.

Then the Squad Leader got a different color so they know who is who. Tamiya Bare Metal this time.

And finally our hero got an initial coat of Vallejo Dark Flesh.

Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Looking good, I have never tried other media such as white metal or resin so will be watching this with added interest.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
philp

Post by philp »

Ok, quick update.

The bots got a little detail painting and a black wash which I obviously left on too long and now they look kind of dirty. Really want them to have more of a clean look so will probably have to go back in and repaint the basic colors. Also they will get some red eyes except for the one that got clobbered. His will be black but will add some colors to the wires in the neck. Probably.

Maelee also has most of the base coats added. Next will be a brown wash on her skin and clothes and a black wash on the tools. Hopefully I will do a better job on this. After that will be some highlighting and some detail painting and she should be done.

The robot base got an aluminum coat which I will add some masking and then spray over with probably a green as on the cover art but that might change.

Still need to do the base work. Notice the spindle on the CD case sits above the disk when it is in there. Was hoping to leave the CD loose so it could be spun for viewing but now have to decide if I want to maybe add another disk to get above the spinner or what? Then probably some Celluclay for the groundwork and dig through the parts boxes for bits and pieces to add to the rubble.

Less than a week. Will see how things pan out.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is cool!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I agonized over where to place the model and spinning CDs and finally ended up putting a sheet over the bottom of the CD case, putting some pieces over the CD hole, drilling a hole and putting a shaft down - in short it looks different than a CD in a case, but the darn CD will rotate now ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
philp

Post by philp »

Found some foam core poster board and used my new circle cutter to cut out a piece to put on top of the CD. This will also allow me to pin the bots into the base.

Also got some green on the base bot (Tamiya IJN Green) after masking off the bits I wanted to leave aluminum. Rubbed off a bit more of the paint and now will have to add a little rust and probably a wash.

Rummaged through the parts bins and grabbed a few things which I might use as scattered rubble. Some of these may get cut into bits to fit in and some may not get used at all.

Think I am going to pick up some spackle for the base coat as will need to go around the edge of the base also. Don't think the Celluclay will cover that as well plus it is messier and has a tendency to shrink.

Return to “"C"ompact "D"iorama GB”