Marky's Warthog and Tonka ***FINISHED***

This is a historical subject GB for any kit, any scale, any variant, any markings of a participant in the Desert Storm campaign, 17 January to 28 February 1991.
Runs 30 January through 28 February and your host is dwomby.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Warthog and Tonka ***FINISHED***

Post by MarkyM607 »

Will get pics up at the weekend, but this will at least be the Hasegawa A-10A from their P-47/A-10 combo. And possibly the Revell GR.1 Tornado, suitably desert painted. Might need nose art decals if Gulf War is not a decal option in the kit.. :grin:

EDIT: Doing both!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DavidWomby

Re: Marky's Warthog and/or Tonka

Post by DavidWomby »

So which will it be (he asked while prevaricating over to decide what to build himself)?

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

It will be this one...
Although I'll have to get decals for the Tornado for Desert Storm. The A-10 can stay as it is, certainly as far as markings are concerned.
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

If you need decals for the Tonka,PM me as I have a few spare sets for Gulf War tonkas.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I've made a start, the A-10 shockingly doesn't start with the cockpit!!. It starts with the engines. Granted two steps later you do make the cockpit!!. The Tornado does start with the 'office', I have that and the hog's engines nearly done construction wise. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Some pics of building at last!!.
A-10 wings and engines, the cockpit tub is just poking into view at the middle of the wings.
Tornado cockpit,
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I thought I was really old-fashioned using tube cement - I still use it for large assemblies - but I see you use it too.

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

dwomby wrote:I thought I was really old-fashioned using tube cement - I still use it for large assemblies - but I see you use it too.

David
I'm really still using up a large supply of tube cement I've had for ages, although I have been using the precision glue bottles for a while. Grew up using tube cement so probably will use them for some time!. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Sorry for the lack of pics so far, I've got to sort out my camera so I can load pics onto my PC. Will try and get it sorted asap. As far as progress goes the A-10 is largely complete except for pylons and weapons. The Tornado has been held up by the wing pylons which unlike the F3 I built from Airfix, can pivot to allow a choice of wing positions. I used the tiny 'c' clips to keep the pylons in place but one was lost. When I found it the other three seemd to have vanished!!. I then resorted to the old heated screwdriver method which worked fine. Then I decided one pylon wasn't straight and while straightening it it broke. I had to make a tiny disc of plastic to recover it. That was after finding the Airfix GR.1 pylons are not the same and that the one GR.1 kit I have that had a suitable replacement was missing the pylon sprue!!!.
All is well now, but I couldn't put the wings together until this was sorted and couldn't put the fuselage together until the wings are in place!. Pics to come. :grin:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Blimey! That was a bit of a saga :-D

I hope all is swivelling as it should now :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Blimey! That was a bit of a saga :-D

Sorry!, I was trying to paint (well type) a picture until I could sort out my camera. Which it now is. Sorted I mean. The wing swivelling is all good. Should get pics up later. :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
iggie wrote:Blimey! That was a bit of a saga :-D

Sorry!, I was trying to paint (well type) a picture until I could sort out my camera. Which it now is. Sorted I mean. The wing swivelling is all good. Should get pics up later. :lol:
SIGH!!. The super genius solution failed my last night. I now have a three pyloned Tornado and the only solution so far is to glue the plyon back, therefore ruining the wing sweep. :cry:
Anyway, some pics at last....

The white disc is my original solution to the pylon problem. This has now failed...

Tornado finally looking like a Tornado. Never a big fan of this aircraft in the past but liked the F models. Since building the F.3 (Airfix), and starting this one it's growing on me!. Just before it retires :lol:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Shame about the pylon. It's probably too late now if the wing is closed up but I made the pylons on my Afx F3 swivel using bent pins.

I bent a pin to 90 degrees, cut a vertical groove on the inboard side of the pylon, dropped one leg of the pin down through the wing lower half and then superglued the pin into the groove on the pylon. The fitting has to be quite tight or the pylon will wobble about and I had a scary moment with one when some superglue got between the pylon and the wing but managed to break it free with a sharp knife and twisting the pylon. The pins are just visible if you look really closely but they pretty well hidden on the inboard side of the pylons.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice try on the pylon fix.....Is it worth thinking about cutting a hole in the top side of the wing above the location hole in the lower side to effect repairs?
You could try David's bent pin solution then
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks for those ideas chaps, will give at least one of them a try!!.

Return to “Desert Storm 25th Anniversary”