Marky's Prototype***FINISHED*** and PR.XIX **FINISHED**

Honoring Edgar Brooks, a Spitfire researcher and contributor to many modelling forums, we have the Every Mark of Spitfire GB -- in which at least one of each will be built, not in a free-for-all, but to a "plan".
The GB runs from 27 Feb 2016 to 10 April and your host are Martin R and Sir T.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Prototype and PR.XIX

Post by MarkyM607 »

Molly-new wrote:Thanks for the advice on the propeller, I had totally drawn a blank on how to tackle it. Nice work on the radiator Marky, I believe the wheels were fully covered on the Prototype with a hinged flap, how will you be recreating this?
No problems, glad it made sense. The undercarriage is something I had seen as well although apparently it depends on when you see the aircraft. Early on she had extra sections on the main doors which are semi circle shaped. I have seen the MDF Spitfire build on this and they say sand the angled end of the main wheel door to a straight line and add a semi circle of plastic on the end. Going to try that.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

MarkyM607 wrote:Early on she had extra sections on the main doors which are semi circle shaped.
Yes, they were removed on 24th July 1936 as a trial and as they had no effect on the performance they were left off therafter.
MarkyM607 wrote: sand the angled end of the main wheel door to a straight line and add a semi circle of plastic on the end. Going to try that.
That should work, and will tie in nicely with the timeline that you are building as after 3rd December 1936 it was fitted with exhaust manifolds and the installation for the 8 Browning guns.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Molly-new wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Early on she had extra sections on the main doors which are semi circle shaped.
Yes, they were removed on 24th July 1936 as a trial and as they had no effect on the performance they were left off therafter.
MarkyM607 wrote: sand the angled end of the main wheel door to a straight line and add a semi circle of plastic on the end. Going to try that.
That should work, and will tie in nicely with the timeline that you are building as after 3rd December 1936 it was fitted with exhaust manifolds and the installation for the 8 Browning guns.
Thanks Molly. Trying to make her as close to first flight as possible but no doubt I shall do something wrong!! :lol: . I'm using Alfred Price's Spitfire Story book and the build in the Spitfire MDF as guides so hopefully all will be acceptable. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Apologies for the lack of pics, things have been here and there but work has continued. The prototype is coming along nicely, even mixed up a colour I think will do. Enjoying the build a lot so far. The PR.XIX is disappointing to say the least. Fit is okay but leaves something to be desired in so much as it's not easy. slot it in. The cockpit went in but I'm sure it's moved and the rest fitted around it but it's far from inspiring me as the prototype has. So I ordered an Airfix PR.XIX last night. It had to be done! :lol: .
Pics tomorrow.
(I understand threads/builds are more interesting when there's less chat and more pics, will stop being lazy asap!).
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The Airfix PR.XIX is a nice kit, but like most of the newer Airfix kits, the fit tolerances are very fine and a coat of paint with glue can often spoil the parts fitting, so dry fit parts before you glue.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Mark,

Was the XIX originally an MPM kit?

Regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks for the head's up Splash, I'll keep an eye out for that. Martin, I'm not 100% sure although their badge is on the Millennium Collection box so maybe. The instruction sheet has 'AIM Limited' on it but that may be regarding the resin parts and vac form canopy.

Anyway, here are some pics as promised...
Additional structure added to the radiator. I may have posted these already!...

Wing 'plank' lines, I've seen images and read stuff that says the prototype was made from panels on the top wing at least, so this is my effort at reproducing that..

And finally the undercarriage door additions. Went quite well actually!. I've also done the domed hub the prototype had but they might be too large. Haven't done a pic of those!.

I've also painted her in my interpretation of the infamous 'blue' but that's for another post!!!. :grin:
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Nice work on the undercarriage doors, the extra work will definitely make it stand out.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks Molly. I keep thinking they are too close together but I think I'm just used to u/c legs without them!. It has been an enjoyable build so far. I have also ordered some pre-WWII serial numbers and letters in black with a white outline which I think I will need for this. They should be here soon!. :grin:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That does indeed look Great Marky!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks matey. Despite my advice on using tiny nail scissors for vac canopies, I couldn't get the vac replacement canopy to slot together as it was in three sections. I took the alternative route and sanded down the top of the kit one. With some gentle scraping and vanish it came out really well! :shock: , also had to remove the armoured windscreen. :grin:
iggie

Post by iggie »

This one has slipped under my radar Mark; some great modelling going on, and looking forward to seeing the continued progress with it
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:This one has slipped under my radar Mark; some great modelling going on, and looking forward to seeing the continued progress with it
I've been slipping under life's radar for years!! :lol: :lol: . Thanks for the comments, have really enjoyed the Prototype build although I think I painted her too soon as I've added more filler to remove panel lines and gun access panels underwing. Apparently the aircraft had very little in the way of surface detail!. She's also starting to get untidy with all the painting and sanding so I've got to make sure she doesn't get away from me and spoil the build.
In other news:-
You shall go to the PR.XIX ball...
Despite previous disillusionment with this kit I have pressed on and the kit is now looking a lot better. Some filler and sanding and scraping around the wing root and underside where wing meets nose has improved things greatly. Also the right wing had a slight overlap of about a millimeter but that was scraped away. All is well... :grin:
(Not fancying those butt joining tail planes though...)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's looking great Marky.

I had the same butt jointed tailplanes on my PR.X. I was lazy with mine, I made sure the surfaces were square and then just used thin CA glue.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Sir T wrote:That's looking great Marky.

I had the same butt jointed tailplanes on my PR.X. I was lazy with mine, I made sure the surfaces were square and then just used thin CA glue.
Thanks!. That sounds like what I was going to do!, although I only have cheap 50p Super Glue in stock at the moment!!. I might put a thin rod in the horizontal tails but I'm rubbish at making them line up with the hole in the fuselage!.

Return to “Edgar Brooks Memorial - Every Mark of Spitfire”