Greg's OV10. ***FINISHED***

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of UAMF with a GB of something/anything with a '10' in its name or markings or whatnot
Runs 10 March to 10 April and your host is our founder, Gregers
Gregers
Forum founder

Greg's OV10. ***FINISHED***

Post by Gregers »

I have a bagged kit which I am assuming is the Hasegawa kit. I've had this kit for so long I can't remember when or where I purchased it. It's never been opened by me and it has a price tag stating £3 and I can make out HALES on one corner of the instruction sheet. I'll not open it until the 10th.
For decals I have the excellent UAMF decal sheet done by Mike Grant and that has a US Navy option for the Bronco on it.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Greg's OV10.

Post by Gregers »

Thought I'd better drag my thread from the bottom of the page and get some progress pics sorted.

Bagged Hasegawa OV10.

Obligatory sprue shot. Smile please......

I'm painting this one the wrong way round, but it's probably th easiest for this scheme. Did I ever mention I HATE painting white schemes? This is after four coats!!!

Red panels getting painted, using xtracrylics Red Arrows red.

Second coat of red, one more to follow. OI, who drank my tea?

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

This is going to be bright.

Unless you're for doing it wheels up, this needs a LOT of lead to prevent tail sitting. So far I have put 6g in each engine boom and I'm up to about 14g in the fuselage, with a 3g w/m seat to add. Now it prefers to keep the front wheel down.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers for the heads up on that Fred. I've already got a couple of white metal seats (though I'm not too sure they are correct for the OV10, we'll see) and a couple of packs of no8 fishing line shot for sorting the nose weight out. The nose is filled already after cutting a little bit of plastic out of the floor panel so I could pour it in after the fuselage was glued together. Pics soon.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Gregers wrote:Did I ever mention I HATE painting white schemes? This is after four coats!!!
Never could do them right with the hairy stick. An airbrush helps immensely in this case, and even rattlecan will do. I apply that even to figures.

That said, I think I may have found paint that will go on with little or no fuss: Titanium White artist's oil. I just did a test shot over black (no need to make this easy), and I could have gotten full cover in one pass. I rubbed it out too much for that though (this stuff can be spread out almost without limit), as a single heavy coat is likely to take weeks to dry. I should have it done in two layers though.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers for the tip Rob, much appreciated. I have some Citadel skull white that gives good coverage but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment. I do agree that several thin coats are better than one thick one.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

An unusual approach Greg, is there a cunning reason for painting it first or are you just giving it a try for devilment?
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I'm getting the red on so it will be easier to mask later, well thats the theory anyway and I'm putting it to the tes . :grin: The green and gray will be painted once the kit is together.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

What's your thinking behind painting things on the sprue Greg? If you don't mind me asking.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

It's worked for this project but I wouldn't recommend it for everything. Touch ups on the mating surfaces can be awkward with light colours but not too much of a problem. Hopefully I will get pictures uploaded tonight with progress so far (I'm at work at the moment) the airframe is together and the aforementioned touch ups are almost done and the main colours of green and grey are next.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Time for some progress pics. The construction held no real problems, I sort of cheated with the filling of the fuselage pylons and engine/booms as I glued the middle areas where they contacted and put a bead of filler around the outer edges, when put into place this oozed out and I wiped the excess and it left them pre filled as the glue dried. A trick I'll use again where possible. Anyways, enough of me banging on, here's the pics.

cut away part in nose to aid filling with shot.

Apart from painting the green and grey that's where I am at the moment, sorry about the lack of pictures, the ones I took were lousy (too blurred)

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Nice. I like the colourful scheme a lot 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Time for an update on the Bronco. I've got a fair way through the model but it's fought me a bit. Lining the paint demarcation for the scheme was a pain (glad I did most of it whilst the kit was on the sprue), The canopy was a swine to line up. and to cap it off even though I had left doing the canopy for quite some time after supergluing the bang seats in it fogged badly (It's in the pics) so I had two choices, bounce the thing off the nearest wall or remove the now stuck solid canopy. Fortunately the glue joints broke fairly painlessly and I cleaned the fogging off with a wet cotton bud (q-tip) and varnished the inside. Anyway, enough of my bleating on. Pics time.

Current state of play, spares box sidewinders in place and ready for decals and undercarriage doors.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
fredk

Post by fredk »

Coming on nicely
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
59North

Post by 59North »

The canopy cleaned up very well.
Certainly a different scheme, and I like the eye-catching look. It's looks similar to the earlier SAR colors before yellow took over.

Return to “UAMF 10th Anniversary”