Marky's Whirlwind HAR.10 ***FINISHED***

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of UAMF with a GB of something/anything with a '10' in its name or markings or whatnot
Runs 10 March to 10 April and your host is our founder, Gregers
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Whirlwind HAR.10

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress has been slow. As the nose is meant for the Italeri kit I have had to do some sanding and scraping to get a snug connection but it is on now. Picture above showing the nose against the fuselage is about where I am but the nose is now glued on. I used two part resin glue to give me more positioning time but it takes longer to dry so hence why the slow progress!!.
More later.... :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress has been made at last. Might be boring people with the lack of it as it's gone quiet, must have iggie disease! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nose attached and faired in using plastic card and filler. Looks okay now..

After Splash mentioned the tail being tilted down on this version I had a look and decided it could be done. I cut the boom where it meets the fuselage and also the top of the strake underneath. Tilted the tail down and glued it to the strake. Looks better than in the pics..

Also decided that the tail itself is wrong for the version I'm building (it larger on the HAR.10 than the HAS.22). Built a new on with some more plastic card and sanded to shape. Attached and waiting to add filler etc to blend it in..

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Some great work going on here. That's looking really good
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Neat little modification to the tail. I like it.
Up in the Great White North
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent old school model making going on here.

That's a brilliant solution to the drooped tail problem, I have seen others try to solve the problem, but your looks the neatest.

I'm going to use this thread for reference for when I try converting my mk22 to a later version.

Keep up the great work.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

splash wrote:Excellent old school model making going on here.

That's a brilliant solution to the drooped tail problem, I have seen others try to solve the problem, but your looks the neatest.

I'm going to use this thread for reference for when I try converting my mk22 to a later version.

Keep up the great work.

Regards Splash
Thanks Splash, it's all your doing that I attempted it! :ha: :ha: . To be honest I can't claim all of the credit, the kit just suggested doing it the way I did, came to me rather easily which instantly worried me! :lol: I have thoroughly enjoyed this so far, there's something about making, sanding and so on rather than just putting together that is when I seem happiest. As long as it doesn't take ages!!. :lol: :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Oh no!!!!. Or sigh. Whichever is best. I painted the model Humbrol 196 to take away the silver colour of the plastic but it took a while to dry. Then I painted the first coat of Humbrol 69 which is still tacky two days later!!. :shock: . I've foolishly attempted to paint a second coat which in places is looking somewhat rough. I know, silly bugger. It's currently sitting in the window getting some sun to try and dry it out. (Yes, we are actually getting some sun in between wind and clouds).
Hopefully it will dry enough before too long or it might be a you know what :shock: .
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Hopefully it will dry enough before too long or it might be a you know what :shock: .
Nothing like some unexpected "entertainment" from the chemistry department to miss the deadline :roll: How I wish I could say that never happened to me :sad:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Hopefully it will dry enough before too long or it might be a you know what :shock: .
Nothing like some unexpected "entertainment" from the chemistry department to miss the deadline :roll: How I wish I could say that never happened to me :sad:
I guess it's got us all at one time or another. The paint is still a tiny bit tacky after three days but it was enough to sand the ugly paint bits, I then decided to use a brand new pot if yellow and it seems (fingers crossed), to have gone on better. Old pot was a little thicker. We shall see.... :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hooray!. I think the problem is solved. The new pot of paint was the answer as the third and latest coat appears to have dried in twenty four hours, as opposed to the other two coats not drying in three and a half days!.
Probably looks a smoother job that it does in real life but working on that!. Just remembered I haven't got markings in the kit for the RAF version, better head to the decal box!!.

fredk

Post by fredk »

Glad to hear the paint has dried.
Its looking smart.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

It looks good in the yellow.
Up in the Great White North
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Congratulations the tail looks brilliant. Your old school model making has paid off big style.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

splash wrote:Congratulations the tail looks brilliant. Your old school model making has paid off big style.

Regards Splash
Thanks Splash, it's definitely a nice feeling to actually make something, you know by hand or to scratch build it. Will try to do more of it if possible. I did think the tail was slightly too big but if it looks acceptable to you I'm happy. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Okay, after some deliberation, or thinking hard(!), I decided I was not happy with how the three coats of yellow had come out. She looked a bit rough!. So I started scraping the rough paint bits off and this happened....

Got a bit carried away. Still will give a chance to do the paint scheme properly, you really need a smooth coat with yellow, just as with white. So I painted it in Revell No.5 which is the white I use now. Good stuff and smooth with brush painting...

And here is where we are now with only two coats of a fresh pot of Humbrol 69 yellow..

Of course the windows will need work. Oh, and I've lost the tail rotor!. Sigh. Still, only the markings, undercarriage and tail rotor to do... :-|

Return to “UAMF 10th Anniversary”