Rob's hussars *Finished*

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of UAMF with a GB of something/anything with a '10' in its name or markings or whatnot
Runs 10 March to 10 April and your host is our founder, Gregers
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rob's hussars

Post by rob_van_riel »

I'd say there's a bit of progress there..

The converted legs look like they'll be up to the job, so I can join them to the corresponding torso. The flung pelisse is ready for painting. The rolled up cloak didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but is certainly good enough. The saddle will take quite a bit more work; not seen in the picture are two really nasty gashes where I cut through the sides, which will need rework, and the join down the middle could could do with some attention as well. However, having come this far, I will no longer need the horse as scaffolding, so I'm free to start completing that as well.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've joined up the spare torso and legs. Not a bad match.

The torso and legs of the rider tried to separate while I was dong some sanding. I think the only thing that still held them together was the rim of Vallejo putty. Normally I'm not particularly fond of this materials flexibility, but it may well have saved me in this case. As it was, I was able to dribble thin CA into the hole where the head is supposed to go later, which seems to have re-joined the halves. I might give it another dose later, just in case. Given the dubious connection between the parts of the spares guy, I think I'll give him the same treatment from the start.

The flung pelisse is now painted red. With the gazillion cords on the front, I'd like to space out painting the three coats a bit; one is quite enough for a single painting session, thank you. :roll:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Coming together nicely. :ha:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Some excellent work going on here, the ends for the rolled up cloak seem to have come out really well.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Looking good. I have a few Airfix 54mm figures in the stash. This might inspire me to tackle one!
Up in the Great White North
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Molly-new wrote:Some excellent work going on here, the ends for the rolled up cloak seem to have come out really well.
The cloak is OK, but no more than that. I managed to get the rims slightly off-centre, and up close, it shows. Next time, if ever there is one, I'll have to be more careful in placing the dots I used for aiming. Can't hit the bullseye with skewed sights...
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

AndrewR wrote:I have a few Airfix 54mm figures in the stash. This might inspire me to tackle one!
If only for the change of pace, do. They're still the best figures I know of to start out with.
I'd hoped that these Master Box kits would be as good and replace them as 'starter' kits, but this build cured me of that particular delusion. How anyone's ever going to get started with figures once all the Airfix ones are built, I don't know :sad:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I did the buttonholes (yes really, that's what they started out as..) on the trumpeter's pelisse. Not perfect (and the pictures show up issues the naked eye will never find), but it will have to do. It didn't help that the level of detail here isn't all that sharp, and that I've been 'best-guessing' some of this.

The rim and fur edge will have to wait until a bit later.

Hint to all you boys and girls considering getting into some figure work as well: Don't start out with a hussar, or anything else that wears a dolman or pelisse; madness and frustration threaten even for the old hands ;-)
But do they ever look cool....
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The rear halves of the crossbelts are moulded separately. Not entirely surprising at this stage, they don't line up too well. The one going over the pelisse is workable (only needs a small gap bridged by filler), but the one intended for the dolman is rather more interesting:

It needed bending with pliers to just short of the breaking point, followed by glueing under tension to the ends to line up (which is why I'm typing this with one hand - the other is busy keeping said tension on). Once the connection has set, I'll run some solvent over the tightened curve to relieve some of the stress.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looks good to me. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

rob_van_riel wrote:I'd say there's a bit of progress there..

Some nice work here....even if the 'Rob does Hieronymus Bosch' photo is quite unsettling! :shock:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Purplethistle wrote:even if the 'Rob does Hieronymus Bosch' photo is quite unsettling! :shock:
I can't really image what a day without a few dismembered critters would look like :twisted:. Probably something to do with the local climate; Bosch lived about 20 miles from here :-D
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Ah! his spirit appears to be channelling through you! ....errr....you're not going to do 'That trumpet thing' with those legs are you? :shock:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Some great work going on here and not just the single handed typing! :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Purplethistle wrote:you're not going to do 'That trumpet thing' with those legs are you? :shock:
Don't know what you're referring (haven't studied those paintings in much detail), but I'm guessing it's pretty gross. No need to worry though, the legs have been joined to a torso and head (no arms for a while yet :twisted: ) and are beginning to look rather too cheerful for any of the old chap's work.

Return to “UAMF 10th Anniversary”