Rob's hussars *Finished*

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of UAMF with a GB of something/anything with a '10' in its name or markings or whatnot
Runs 10 March to 10 April and your host is our founder, Gregers
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rob's hussars

Post by rob_van_riel »

Now, where was I again...

The trooper has been assembled, save for his arms and shako. I had to come up with something to do for his left arm, which (for obvious reasons) is posed to hold the reins of his horse. This chap is on foot, and wherever his horse is, it's not here. I separated the thumb from the fist, bent it upwards a bit, and drilled a hole (big one, 0.65 mm...) at the base of the thumb. Then, with the shaft of the drill still in the hole, I bent the forward part of the thumb down again to make contact with the fist. The hole will be filled with the stem of a tobacco pipe from the Historex odds and ends box.
The shako didn't fit, so I put a blob of milliput into the bottom, and squashed it into shape with the head. Not perfect, but I think it will do. Some fiddling with the crossbelts was also needed.

The trumpeter is progressing very similarly, except that here the left hand was merely opened a bit to be able to run the reins through it. I then added a splash of colour to the figures. Should give you some idea of where this is going.

The horse is also ready for painting, but I'll have to spend some time pondering how to do the grey coat before I dig in.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Couldn't resist doing a little mock-up while working on the base... :-D

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Tricky thing, that armless horse riding :ha:
Up in the Great White North
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

AndrewR wrote:Tricky thing, that armless horse riding :ha:
I don't know, really. There's several horse cultures that train to ride without using your arms (to literally keep your hands free). No idea if hussars were trained to that sort of level. Being flashy bastards, I guess they would really have liked that sort of trick riding. It might be just the natural way of riding for them.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

rob_van_riel wrote:
AndrewR wrote:Tricky thing, that armless horse riding :ha:
I don't know, really. There's several horse cultures that train to ride without using your arms (to literally keep your hands free). No idea if hussars were trained to that sort of level. Being flashy bastards, I guess they would really have liked that sort of trick riding. It might be just the natural way of riding for them.
Try getting on the horse without arms :ha:
fredk

Post by fredk »

These are coming on nicely
rob_van_riel wrote:... No idea if hussars were trained to that sort of level. Being flashy bastards, I guess they would really have liked that sort of trick riding. It might be just the natural way of riding for them.
Not only Hussars, but Dragoons and Lancers were all trained to fight without using hands on reins. Horses were trained to respond to the pressure from the riders knees. They were also trained to bite and slash with their fore hooves.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

AndrewR wrote:Try getting on the horse without arms :ha:
Sounds tricky, but then, I'm hardly a cossack, and even getting on a horse with a complete selection of limbs sounds tricky to me :roll:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

rob_van_riel wrote:
AndrewR wrote:Try getting on the horse without arms :ha:
Sounds tricky, but then, I'm hardly a cossack, and even getting on a horse with a complete selection of limbs sounds tricky to me :roll:
Totally agree with you. :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Lots of work on skinny bits today; base coat for the horse, and hands and faces for the hussars. The guy on foot has a completely asymmetrical face. The right side looks positively skeletal, while the left side is more normal. I decided this must have been due to some violent misunderstanding in the past, and made the right cheek (or what was left of it) into what can hopefully pass as a mess on red scar tissue. The mounted man ended up with rather wierd eyes; the right eye sits lower on the face than the left. I'm certain I put the eyes just where the plastic had them though.

Pictures after I've added hair and mustaches....
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

A bit of a set back in the equine department.
The horse had been given a base coat of dark grey, and today I started putting increasingly lighter layers of artist's oils on. Didn't work. Try as I might, I can't get rid of the brushstrokes. The blending effects on the shades of grey work well, but the contrast with the base colour is too great for my meagre skills.

I'm going to have to give up on this particular attempt for now, but I'm confident I can still fudge a decent result out of it. I'll let the paint dry properly, then revert to the old airbrush and enamels to smooth over the coat.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Her Furryness has installed herself between me and the bench, and on my chair. I'm a wimp, so she'll get away with it for at least some time. Some delays likely.. :roll:

On the bright side, the horse doesn't look so bad from over here :-D
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Can't see any brush strokes in that last pic!! :lol: :lol: . Could you sand it with extremely fine sandpaper or the like?.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Could you sand it with extremely fine sandpaper or the like?.
Possibly, but given the extremely thin coats of paint, there's a risk I'll end up with bare plastic entirely too easily. In any case, experimental recovery on a failed experiment is not my idea of solid tactics (well, not unless the entire build was considered experimental; I might have tried this had I run into trouble with Napoleon here). This build, however, is supposed to end in some presentable result, so I'll use tried and tested techniques for recovery.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Pictures after I've added hair and mustaches....
As promised, a pair of mugshots.

While doing the hair, I realised MasterBox missed some characteristic details there: no tails, and no braids. Those were de rigeur for any self respecting hussar! Sadly, these gents will have to do without, as we're quite past the point where I'm willing to consider some re-sculpting on these chaps.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:I'll let the paint dry properly, then revert to the old airbrush and enamels to smooth over the coat.
I decided I needed to see where this was going rather sooner than the oils might like, so I oversprayed today. We'll see if this comes back to haunt me later, but for the moment, I think the fudge is close enough.

I depending on how this looks tomorrow, I might hit it again with a mist of white over the top, to create some more colour variation in the coat.

Also, more of those infernal buttonholes :roll:

Return to “UAMF 10th Anniversary”