Sign-up and Chat

A simple GB, convert one thing to another - any subject, any scale, any era, any method, but ending up with a different variant, than what the bits provide for in the box.
GB runs 16th April to 29th May and your host is Martin R.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by fredk »

slowly
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I am concerned, but still going.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

One thing I find about conversion builds is that, about half way through, I begin to get annoyed with the difference between my view of what I hoped to do with the kit, and the reality of what my skill can actually achieve. My remedy is just to keep plugging on, trying to do something almost every night; if I don't the momentum ebbs away. The final result may not be as good as I first hoped, but its usually much better than what I imagine mid build. Don't know if anyone else feels the same but, if so, just KBO.

regards

Martin
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Martin R wrote:By my reckoning, yesterday was 4 weeks in, so just under a fortnight to go. How are we all doing?
Not nearly fast enough, but then, I realised a few weeks back I'd overreached. Doing a conversion is one thing, designing and producing a conversion set along the way something rather different.
Realistically, the best I can hope for is to have all the parts for the exterior made up and installed in the kit, and hopefully the masters for the interior completed before the end of the GB. In other words, I hope to be able to produce the conversion kit withing the GB timeframe, rather than also do the conversion with that kit.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Martin R wrote:One thing I find about conversion builds is that, about half way through, I begin to get annoyed with the difference between my view of what I hoped to do with the kit, and the reality of what my skill can actually achieve. My remedy is just to keep plugging on, trying to do something almost every night; if I don't the momentum ebbs away. The final result may not be as good as I first hoped, but its usually much better than what I imagine mid build. Don't know if anyone else feels the same but, if so, just KBO.

regards

Martin
I completely agree. You are not alone!
Up in the Great White North
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not too bad at all, just really slacking with posting pics!!. Just have the u/c to make, paint and attach and she's done. Will try to get some pics up tonight. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Not as far ahead as I would like, but that's down to me not researching what was required in the first place, there again if I had known what I was letting myself in for, I probably would not have started. So technically further ahead than I thought I would have been.

So if things don't change, they will probable stay the way they are :roll:

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Anyone dying for an extension or are we all sick of the sight of conversions for the time being?

Regards

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Martin R wrote:Anyone dying for an extension or are we all sick of the sight of conversions for the time being?
Regards
Martin
Definitely NOT sick of conversions (watch the RN GB) but an extension will not get the RRAC done in a short period of time.

I regret not finishing here -- it was doable -- but my calendar got overwhelmed, which accounted also for my spotty participation for which I apologize to my fellow builders.

I quite enjoyed the GB -- thank you for the suggestion and for running it -- and will finish this thread elsewhere, probably up in the military vehicles forum.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:
Martin R wrote:Anyone dying for an extension or are we all sick of the sight of conversions for the time being?
Definitely NOT sick of conversions
Same here, although I will be slowing down a bit now. I vastly overstretched on this one, and need to recover for a bit..
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I would appreciat eanother day if possible. My decal disaster has pushed this one back a bit.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Old_Tonto wrote:I would appreciat eanother day if possible. My decal disaster has pushed this one back a bit.
O_T

You have another day!

Regards
Martin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A big thank you to Matin for running this GB, I have really enjoy moving out of my comfort zone, I'm declaring mine as a DNF and will continue on my workbench thread.

One thing in particular I liked about this GB was picking up all the hints a tips and seeing how people handle different problems in different ways.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “One Thing to Another Conversion GB”