OT Builds a Cheetah *** Finished ***

A simple GB, convert one thing to another - any subject, any scale, any era, any method, but ending up with a different variant, than what the bits provide for in the box.
GB runs 16th April to 29th May and your host is Martin R.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

OT Builds a Cheetah *** Finished ***

Post by Old_Tonto »

Not being one for conversions this is new ground for me so I have opted for something simple. Famous last words. :roll:

I will aim to turn this 1/72 Italeri Kfir C7 into an Atlas Cheetah 'E' of the South African Air Force.

No fancy resin conversion sets for me just a sharp knife and plenty of sticking plasters. I have a few parts from the spares box to help and this old Kfir kit to donate some parts.
Now for a bit of history about the Cheetah program (feel free to skip this part ;-) )

The aim of the Cheetah project was threefold:
  • To counter the threat of Angolan MiG-23MLs which had superior air weapons (BVR), avionics and greater acceleration.
    To replace SAAF losses and to bolster the strike capabilities by prolonging the service life of the Mirage III aircraft (New aircraft were not available due to the UN embargo).
    To replace the Buccaneer in the nuclear strike role (age had taken it's toll on the fleet with only 8 remaining air worthy)
Three variants of the Cheetah were developed:

1. The Cheetah E, a single seat fighter with canards and dog-teeth very similar to the Kfir C7, which was developed from SAAF Mirage IIIEZ airframes. This version was a quick fix and retained their ATAR 09C engines and entering service in 1986.

2. The Cheetah D, a 2 seat canard variant, similar to the Kfir T7, developed from the SAAF Mirage IIIDZ (and some Nesher\Dagger) airframes.

3. The much more radical and elegant Cheetah C, which was made from retired Israeli Kfir airframes that were zero timed. (The Cheetah C is actually based on the Kfir 2000.)

This series of aircraft attempted to redress a lot of the deficiencies of the ageing Mirage fleet, in that these aircraft possessed a modern cockpit with a host of electronic features, including a variety of countermeasures, a vital air-to-air refuelling capacity (due to the long distance of the sorties) and increased manoeuvrability. The BVR capability was not addressed until the 'C' model entered service in 1992 with the Darter missile. The need to find a modern engine was never addressed although the D & C models were fitted with the ATAR 9K-50C-11 from the Mirage F.1 (possibly sources from Morocco & Iraq). END OF HISTORY LESSON

The Cheetah C & D involve much more radical surgery so the 'E' model is the one for me. So basically I want to turn this:

Into this:

Whilst this may be the simplest option I still need to make substantial changes. My original idea had been to strip an convert and existing model but the more I researched the more convinced I became that building from scratch and converting as I build would be much easier. This is what I need to do:

• 1. Remove air intake at base of tail. Not required for the Atar engine.
    2. A fuselage plug needed at the rear, again for the Atar engine.
    3. Rear fuselage fuel tank needs to be extended further back and widened to accommodate chaff & flair dispensers.
    4. Canards must be reduced by 30% as the original Mirage air frame lacked the reinforcement to house the full size canards.
    5. Additional hard points are required for the mid-wing and under the engine intake.
    6. In-flight refuelling probe and piping needed on the starboard side.
    7. The kit supplied Shafir missiles will be replaced by V3 Kukri missiles.
I think that's it. :???:

Hopefully it will end up looking something like this:

I have some good looking MAV decals on order for this build. I have used these before and they can be a little tricky so some care will be needed.
Can't wait to get started - better clear the bench for this one.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
DavidWomby

Re: OT Builds a Cheetah

Post by DavidWomby »

Lovely choice, OT. looking at your post, shouldn't the nose get an insert between the cockpit and the radome?

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Yes you might be right just haven't confirmed that yet. The 'C' model certainly had one. The air intakes are slightly different too but I'm not sure that you could tell in this scale.
I'm sure someone will bring out a kit for this version as soon as I complete it. :roll:
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Here we go with the usual sprue shots before I start.

I am marking what needs removing so will start with the tail as the surgery here is minor.

I will also need some new drop tanks with pylons as none are provided in the kit. :sad:

Next up the cockpit. Nothing too grand about the office in this kit just a very basic seat, tub, stick and IP without decal. :roll:
Once I get the fuselage halves together I will beging the major surgery.

More to follow. :smilie_flagge3:
Current Projects:
Barry

Post by Barry »

Sexy airplane...looking forward to it.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Barry wrote:Sexy airplane...looking forward to it.
Lets wait and see what this turns out like before we get too excited shall we? :lol:

I have cut the tail fin and it looks ok. Next up I have put one half of the Kfir fuselage up against the Heller Mirage IIIE fuselage to give me a guide as to how big a plug I will need for the Cheetah back end. Quite a lot me thinks.

Not sure how I am going do this yet but I have an old kfir to rob or the spare that comes with the R.V. mirage kit.

I have assembled the wings and the drop tanks from the sapres box which I will have to make attachment points for as the kit only provides to two outer weapons stations.

Next up is the tricky bit of creating the counter measures dispenser on the underside. It will go here:

And should end up looking something like this:

I think Miliput & plastic card may be the way to go here with maybe some mesh for the dispensers themselves. I will have to widen the back third and square it off before tapering the whole thing.

Enjoying this already. 8-) More to follow.
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Construction of the countermeasures dispenser continues. I chopped off the extruding parts on the kit in the area I need to amend and stuck
some plastic strip to either side whilst bending the strip around the fuel tank.

Then I came across this coffee stirrer which just happens to be about the right size so I attached that too.
Another layer of evergreen strip stuck on to give the construction some strength then on with the Squadron green putty.

Looks like a carbuncle doesn't it? :lol:
Anyway, after a little bit of sanding to shape I think it's getting there:

It still needs a little filler and I have to find a method of representing the grid pattern of the dispensers but it is looking hopeful.
I can't really progress much further until this bit is done as it will be very difficult to sand it once attached to the fuselage.

I've been plugging away at the smaller parts too. IP is done:

Not my best work but I'm pretty sure it won't be visible once installed and the hood closed. The seat has been painted too although it is very basic,
I would recommend you get a replacement if you want anything that looks at all authentic.

So the fuselage will be joined tonight before more butchery this weekend 8-) .
Current Projects:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OT

Great progress. I love seeing how other modellers solve scratch building conundrums (conundra?). Well done on the dispenser and good luck on the jetpipe mods.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Thanks Martin. I'm really enjoying this group build but I must confess to winging it a bit as I haven't actually planned all the changes properly, just the odd idea on the back of a beer mat but this method seems to be working. This is where I'm up to with the counter measures 'Lump'.

I will use a little filler around the edges of the mesh once the super glue has dried. After that I can't do much more with this area until the wings are attached to the body.
Then I can finish blending it in. So onto the back end and some bold fettling:

The drogue shoot housing on the Kfir seems to be much larger than on the mirage kit. Although this could just be either kit manufacturer getting it wrong! :???:
Never mind I will fettle it.

And after some fettling here it is attached before getting blended in.

Whilst that dries I need to fit a small plug in the nose so out with my chopper again.

I wasn't sure I needed to do this but once I realised that I had forgotted to add any weight to the front end the decision was made for me. :roll:
Current Projects:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Forgetting nose weight is easily done!

Happens to me all the time :roll:
Up in the Great White North
TomW

Post by TomW »

Looking ace OT 8-)

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

This Cheetah's but is well & truly plugged.

Drogue parachute housing will be fixed tonight with a bit of sprue filling the gap. I have painted the engine exhaust so will attach that and mask it off as well.
Then just follow the normal assembly instructions to fit the wings. A test fit does not inspire me! :roll:
Current Projects:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Nice work.
Up in the Great White North
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Lovely job on that rear fuselage extension, OT.

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Thanks guys. Drogue shoot housing fettled.

Next up, nose extension and fit wings.
Current Projects:

Return to “One Thing to Another Conversion GB”