Martin's Zerstorer Pfeil *** finished! ***

A simple GB, convert one thing to another - any subject, any scale, any era, any method, but ending up with a different variant, than what the bits provide for in the box.
GB runs 16th April to 29th May and your host is Martin R.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Martin's Zerstorer Pfeil

Post by splash »

It was a clever idea and design and makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if they had got into mass production.

You have to admire the a/c designers for coming up with such radical designs. The push/pull design must have drastically reduced the drag produced by a conventional twin design and improved the roll rate, plus cured the torque problems prop a/c have.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

splash wrote:It was a clever idea and design and makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if they had got into mass production.

You have to admire the a/c designers for coming up with such radical designs. The push/pull design must have drastically reduced the drag produced by a conventional twin design and improved the roll rate, plus cured the torque problems prop a/c have.
I agree, Alan, it was very innovative and looking at it one tends to forget it was also rather big. I suppose if the jet engine hadn't come along when it did, we might have seen a few other companies try this layout. As it is, the only other one I can think of is the Cessna Skymaster O-2A!

Martin, I have to ask: how many rounds of PSR did you have to do on the spine? It looks great. Whenever I do something like that I seem to go through endless rounds of thinking I am finished and then finding another flaw - a small hole or a low spot - and starting another round. It gets a bit wearing after a while and I tend to walk away and leave the ting for days at a time.

David
TomW

Post by TomW »

The damage these could have done to bomber streams is a sobering thought :shock: Good job they didn't go into mass production really, even though its such a fantastic shape.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's really good work, fairing all that in ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

dwomby wrote:
splash wrote:It was a clever idea and design and makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if they had got into mass production.

I agree, Alan, it was very innovative and looking at it one tends to forget it was also rather big. I suppose if the jet engine hadn't come along when it did, we might have seen a few other companies try this layout. As it is, the only other one I can think of is the Cessna Skymaster O-2A!

Martin, I have to ask: how many rounds of PSR did you have to do on the spine? It looks great. Whenever I do something like that I seem to go through endless rounds of thinking I am finished and then finding another flaw - a small hole or a low spot - and starting another round. It gets a bit wearing after a while and I tend to walk away and leave the ting for days at a time.

David
David

That's after 1 major set of ps, although different parts of the airframe were done at different times. It's now had a second, and a partial rescribe. Looks quite 'bitty' again.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I came across this film on the '335 on youtube.

http://youtu.be/jK8ydLY5QHQ

Regards

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That looks much better after the primer! What camo are you going to do?
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

AndrewR wrote:That looks much better after the primer! What camo are you going to do?
You wouldn't like it after the subsequent sanding! Re your question, I'm thinking late war Luftwaffe grey / green camo with a Reich defence band, but I haven't got further than that.

I want to get some white primer on tonight in preparation for the paint scheme, then get the wheel wells painted, add a landing light and start fettling the gear legs.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

After rescribe and a scoosh of white primer:

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That looks much better after the primer!

Deja vu :-D
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Unfortunately I had to almost immediately mar the primer finish. I attached and sanded to shape the landing light cover. Some more polishing required, methinks:

And here is the paltry progress on the nose gear.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And after a couple more nights of fiddly undercarriage "enhancement", the gear legs are all on and drying.

Now on with the paint. How about an all-black cowling, white recognition band round the rear fuselage, and RLM 75/83/76 camouflage for a fictitious aircraft from 10.(Sturm)/JG3?
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And after 4 coats of xtracrylics RLM76, we have:

And setting the beast upright, you can see she ain't no tailsitter!

I have also given the canopy frames an RLM66 undercoat.

Another coat or two of '76 tomorrow and then on to the topside camo.

Regards

Martin
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Always dug the 335. One built as the ersatz two seater and most of an unbuilt second hand kit in the stash.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And after another coat of '76, 3 coats of '83 and some detail painting, we are here:

Tomorrow, finish off the '83, shadow shade with '75, and I'm ready for mottling.

Regards

Martin

Return to “One Thing to Another Conversion GB”