Shaun's Cold War Builds

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Shaun's Cold War Builds

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry for the lack of progress but my sciatica has been giving me some gyp. I managed to push forward a bit but then took three steps backwards by messing up the Dutch vehicle's paintwork with some over zealous weathering - it's going to get a repaint :evil: These things happen! Still, the German version is looking OK and I will start to put the decals on once I can sit at the bench for more than 20 minutes!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Sorry to hear that Shaun - I get those pains on occasion and it's not fun - get better soon mate.

Sorry to hear about the Dutch Leopards paint - it can't be any worse than my Vickers! I'm sure you'll sort it.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Hope you're sciatica is better mate and what a bummer about the paint. Still, as the old saying goes, when life gives you lemons.....make models ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for your kind words boys and I'm now, hopefully, back in action!

The Dutch Leopard has now received a re-paint in Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green. I can't help feeling that this is the colour that I should have used in the first place as the NATO Green looked a little too light in shade. The model has received basic weathering using washes of Burnt Sienna oil paint and Humbrol matt black, heavily thinned with white spirit, dot filters of white and yellow oil paint and dry brushing using Tamiya Flat Earth, Deck Tan and Khaki Drab.

And here are both models together. The German Leopard has received the same basic weathering as the Dutch version.

Tomorrow I aim to apply a gloss coat to both models in preparation for the decals.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Nice paintwork Shaun. The different colour schemes give much more of a contrast between the two tanks than I would have expected.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Those look excellent Shaun - as Darryl says, is amazing how different they look with the differing colours.

iggie

Post by iggie »

They look the business for sure!
I have one knocking about in Coalition markings from Desert Storm somewhere, they are a nice looking tank
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks boys. I'm hoping that it shouldn't take me too long to finish these builds now. Goodness knows, I've been on them long enough - I bet they've long since nodded off at the back :ha:

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Although the workbench is now quite full of aircraft carrier, I haven't forgotten the Leopards. The German vehicle has now received its decals and a coat of Humbrol matt coat. The decals behaved themselves well enough and settled down nicely with Microscale solutions.

There's not a great deal to do on this one now, the weathering needs fine tuning, I will attempt to make up a better turret MG mount, make some tow cables and add a pair of antenna. With the Dutch vehicle I am going to hang fire until I've been to the Huddersfield show next weekend on the off chance that I can pick up either a Revell Leopard A5 NL kit, which will yield some useful Dutch decals, or see if any of the vendors have some sheets that I can use. Otherwise, I can return to Plan A and see what I can cobble together from my spares.

Thanks for looking

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Looks fantastic Shaun. Sets the bar quite high for other vehicle models 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

You're too kind Daz! but thanks anyway :grin:

IPMS#12300
TomW

Post by TomW »

Dazzled wrote:Looks fantastic Shaun. Sets the bar quite high for other vehicle models 8-)

Agreed :grin: I'm gonna have to pull out the stops on my Warrior and others now!

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

That is superb Shaun!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for your kind comments boys. I will try and finish up this one at the weekend.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

And the German vehicle is now finished. I tarted up the turret machine gun mount with a bit of rod and an ammo box made from a bit of square section rod. The machine gun itself is supposed to represent an MG3 but is rather poor and lacks detail. The MG3 is basically a modernised wartime MG42 but all of my decent replacement MG42s are in 1/35th so I was forced to remain with the kit effort. I could have left it off I suppose but I think the model looks better with than without. I replaced the stiff looking kit tow cables with examples made from twisted together fine lead wire, which I feel gives a more pleasing effect. The model was finished off with a couple antennae made from stretched sprue.

Leopard 2 A4, 2. Kompanie, Panzerbataillon 24, D (Bergen), 1990

The Dutch version is now on hold until I can locate some decals as my decal bank did not prove up to scratch. I have a feeling I will have to buy another kit, possibly Hobby Boss, who I believe do an A4 with German/Dutch markings, to get the required markings.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Cold War Builds”