ChrisM's dabblings

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

ChrisM's dabblings

Post by chrism »

I've offered to do been coerced into a carrier build. It is going to be a while before I actually get the paint out on the hull and plastic meet glue on other areas, due to household circumstances etc which I have inflicted on myself, but I shall in the meanwhile get myself sorted out so I know what is what and sort out the paints to be used, work out how I will base/display it and may get the airwing and deck vehicles done as I will be able to do some little stuff still.

So here is what I will be dabbling with on this one.

and with all those aircraft to identify it is a good thing I have this for guidance:

That said any advice and guidance from anyone looking in is welcome on any aspects, before I attempt them.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Re: ChrisM's dabblings

Post by Dazzled »

Nice to see this build thread Chris. The aircraft in the kit are all correct for the period so just trust the kit.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

We need a popcorn smiley - looking forward to seeing this go together!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
iggie

Post by iggie »

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

Before I get too much further into this - I ought to ask "how you would like it"? Full hull on the stand and with that on a base? waterlined and in a water base? or any other combination of either of those - just with the stand attached to the full hull, or waterlined and not in a base? (bearing in mind - you are taking charge of it as end of Telford weekend ... All I shall take and keep as a momento are a couple of the aircraft)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Please build it as you see fit Chris. There'll be room on the display for it however it's displayed and some variety in display methods does look quite good IMHO. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oooh Chris, what a choice, this will make you Queen of the Carriers 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

OOOH Shaun... a Carrier Queen ... what a thought... sounds quite gay!

Well...

There has - as there needs to be - a bit of progress at last. It will be full hull on a stand.

What a nightmare 24 hours of modelling time then ensued; the lower hull had to be cut from the sprue and the upper hull likewise and joined ..
sounded simple, but the join and potential to warp and not fit easily was a definite cue for a few hours of beginning to regret what I had agreed to do. This was also combined with hefty swearing, and lots of fettling and filling and painting and rubbing back and repeating all over again...

Anyway the war was won in my favour. I did have to resort to a wide strip of plasticard on the inside to try and help provide a secure mating point for the two parts, and I also added scrap sprue to wedge the sides to stop them warping in. Thereafter there was a lot of coats of paint over the join seam and sanding back to try and build it up to be smooth. It is now acceptable, and I think it will "pass muster" once I get waterline tape on for the black boot line after the proper two colours of paint go on

Next up will be the red lower hull painting, then a few bits that stick out and need to be applied before the deck goes on will be added and then I will fix the deck, before going for the upper hull grey paint. I have also found out an MDF base that I shall paint and fix the supplied stand supports onto.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Good work in winning the battle Chris 8-)

Surprised by the fight you had though. In my experience the Italeri supercarriers go together quite nicely.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, it's great to see this coming together Chris. I also found it a little nerve wracking joining the hull sections on the old Ark kit although it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting but it did need a little filler at the stern and I resorted to some strips of thick plastic card inside the hull halves to help bolster the join. I shall watch this build with interest and with a view to pinching some of your techniques as I know you can turn out a good looking ship :grin: 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Glad to here you got it sorted in the end, I'm looking forward to seeing this go together.

chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks Daz, Shaun and Sir T for looking in and keeping an eye on proceedings.

This weekend I had been looking forward to a full on weekend of model assembly and painting. As normal, things didn't entirely go to plan. I did have a full on weekend of painting, but it involved 5 litre tins manufactured by Dulux.

What modelling time I did get, was spent getting the carrier advanced. The vessel is now nearly all done. She threw up a few more tantrums when it came to getting the rudders and propellers on, as they then promptly all fell off again, once I turned it back up the right way having convinced myself the glue was dry! But a change of glue and a good dose of cyano and brute force won out in the end. I did have to go back and do an interesting touch up, but it is all underneath and not easily seen.

Thankfully the demarcation line went on cleanly, and when Tamiya tape came off I was pleased as no touch ups were required. (I trust you know the trick with painting the tape once its on before doing the second colour Shaun? - if not I will elaborate).

The deck had two coats of grey and then two coats of the alternative to Klear floor polish I use (mine came from the 99p shop) and the deck is now ready for the decals of which there appears from the instructions to be one not included, so a bit of masking and some white paint will be needed first .... just hope the decals then line up OK after that when they go on...

The rest of the hull just needs some fine touching up with a small brush with the model the right way up on its supports.

I only lost 2 parts to the carpet during the construction of this section, thankfully it relinquished them back quite easily.

It should soon be time to think about the other interesting bits that go on the deck... and that will be the closest I have been to building an aircraft in a good few years.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great progress Chris. This is going to look terrific in the centre of the Atlantic.

That's on the display map of course, not literally ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Great stuff - it looks superb!

TomW

Post by TomW »

Looking ace Chris 8-) cant wait to see it populated with an airwing.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10