ChrisM's dabblings

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: ChrisM's dabblings

Post by ShaunW »

This is shaping up very well indeed Chris 8-) What's the trick with the masking tape Chris? I'm being a bit thick and don't quite follow what you mean.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Shaun - Rather than clog this up - I have sent you a PM - hopefully you will understand my jibberish - and we can take matters from there.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

chrism wrote:Shaun - Rather than clog this up - I have sent you a PM - hopefully you will understand my jibberish - and we can take matters from there.
I've read and replied and can see where you are coming from now. Many thanks Chris.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

A fairly productive few days, with the decals and the fiddly little bits to go on the deck. First though I sorted out the stand.

This is made from half of one of those dinner place mats that you get in sets with a printed pattern on ... I cut it in half and rounded the other two corners off, then placed the kit supplied cradle stands on there, and as they didn't really "cradle" the hull went for a belt and braces approach with a couple pieces of brass rod, as thus. I then just had to make a couple holes in hull and slot it on! :roll:

As for the aircraft, I followed kit instructions and painted them all light grey, 2 coats were needed. Then, again following instructions gave them a dob of blue to represent the windscreen bit. Wasn't very happy then, so that was overpainted out and then I still thought that they looked a bit dark ... so I went for adding a coat of much lighter grey. Two coats of that later and I was not at all happy with the resultant mess... So 3 hours later had got most of that off (oven cleaner works well on enamel, not on modern acrylic so it was a case of painting on Tamiya thinner and rubbing to get it soft and get it off.

A couple days later I went for a different colour which I mixed up myself. Two coats of that and I was happy, so a gloss varnish went on then the supplied decals on as many as I could, and for those (8) there were no decals for, I hand-painted a little splodge on the wings.

Here they are in progress.

Then I added a dob of black for the exhausts, and a thin little dab of colour just to add some detail on the tail bits. My reference book showed that the different flights on the ships had their own insignias.

I will not bore you all with a load of pictures of the deck once it was decalled, or the superstructure added. So here it is, all I am going to do now is glue the aircraft down in a day or two when we get good light again.

Missing from the deck of the supplied planes etc. are: two planes, one helicopter and a deck crane. These I intend to mount on a small base and keep for myself as my "momento" of building this kit, as I have bought and built this for the SIG's benefit, and will be delivering it to Darrel in November and leaving it with him. Once I've laid those few items out on a small base I will add a shot of them.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent!
That'll do your build ratio a power of good if you count each aircraft separately!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That's brilliant Chris. I'm mightily impressed at how quickly and how well you've built this 8-)

P.S. the stand idea is very clever too. You've got me eyeing up the wife's best placemats now ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Daz - search the charity shops for a set of old placemats. Typically I might pay £2 to £3 for a set of 4 or 6. Depends on condition - but if you are going to put scatters and make a scene on one .... and the small mug size coasters are great for a small vehicle or a large figure

The beauty of them is they are MDF type stuff and cut easily and sand up good, and have cork stuff underneath
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is looking superb Chris!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now that is mightily impressive Chris 8-)

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks Daz, Sir T and Shaun for the kind comments. It was an enjoyable build, and I may have caught a carrier bug, as I have tonight got Lusty out of the cupboard and dusted the box off. I am now in a state of fondling the plastic but need to consider a few "family practical type" things though before I get stuck in

Return to “Cold War Builds”