Alternative Canberas

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Alternative Canberas

Post by Ghostrider »

Hi guys

I have an air fix 1/72 scale Canberra PR9 in my stash, was thinking of doing something a bit different with it. Anybody have any ideas/photos/research/advice. Im a fairly experienced modeler so could probably handle some intricate work. I'm mainly looking for ideas for unusual PR9s

Cheers
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Alternative Canberas

Post by Dazzled »

Hi Ghostrider and welcome to the forum. You have a lot to choose from with Canberras. How about some of the RN ones or a target tug?

BTW, you might like to put an introduction in the "Welcome" forum. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

Cheers Dazzled

Didn't know there were RN Canberras. I'll start some research there, I was having some thoughts along the lines of a maritime strike variant. Thinking of something with more speed then a Shackleton but could be guided by it. Maybe some air to sea missiles mounted on underwing pylons?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

There were actually strike versions of the Canberra. Try researching Canberras with AS-30 missiles.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

Sadly I couldn't make it to Telford. But I've just seen a great pic in one of the magazines. An alternative Canberra which was carrying two underwing mounted bloodhound surface to air missiles! Looks amazing.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Welcome to the forum Ghostrider!
As it happens I have been restoring a Canberra PR.9 and she'll end up after being converted looking like this:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Buccaneer radar trainer 8-)

1:1 scale?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Possibly.
The real thing is sat in a hanger at the Newark Air Museum.
Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

Wow, looks interesting, what's known about this variant?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ghostrider wrote:Wow, looks interesting, what's known about this variant?

It's a one-off called the T.22. Originally intended as a trainer equipped with the Blue Parrot radar used on the Blackburn Buccaneer it was developed into an aircraft with a much more sinister purpose. See this link. http://thempirestwilight.wikia.com/wiki ... rm_(ABAAP)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

OK, Much More sinister. however it ties in nicely with what I see as a real theme around Cold War technology. basically with both NATO and WARPAC tied into an ongoing arms race, we see any number of R&D projects like this. its really interesting.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Ghostrider wrote:Sadly I couldn't make it to Telford. But I've just seen a great pic in one of the magazines. An alternative Canberra which was carrying two underwing mounted bloodhound surface to air missiles! Looks amazing.
Yikes!
Can't imagine a Canberra carrying one Bloodhound, let alone two!
Perhaps the Fireflash missile would present a more likely what-if for self-defence, or the good old Bullpup ASM (there were a few different varieties, some available in 1/72 in the Hasegawa weapons sets).

cheers,

David
Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

Hmmmmm...An air defense variant, interesting idea!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sorry I am late with this but that all black Canberra isn't a PR9. It standard life as a standard bomber variant then had the nose changed for the B(I)8 type. After that it was used for trials work. Thus the spray rig under the rear fuselage. I have worked on this beastie and it went down the production line where my Grandad worked when it was first built.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Thanks Greg, you saved me the trouble, nice looking machine though, I think a Frogspawn B(I)8 & my old Airfix Buccaneer might have a future together. :)
For Ghostrider, I think the only thing that grew out of a PR.9 was a PR.9 afaik, most of the odd ball Canberras & there was no shortage of them, were based on B.2s & B.6s & their derivatives., Of course, in whif world, what you fancy is yours to call. :grin:
Steve.

Return to “Cold War Builds”