SAM-6 Gainful Missile System

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

SAM-6 Gainful Missile System

Post by Dazzled »

OK, I'll go first :)

I picked this up at Telford last year.

Seems like a nice kit. Link and length tracks, some photo-etch, plastic tubes and springy bits. I'll run through the contents in my next update.

Tonight I'm celebrating my birthday.

......AGAIN ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Re: SAM-6 Gainful AAM System

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:
Tonight I'm celebrating my birthday.

......AGAIN ;-)
Yeah right! Image

Many happy returns though!! Image
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Re: SAM-6 Gainful Missile System

Post by Dazzled »

Thank you iggie. I've had a very nice birthday with all the family round. 8-)

And I've debagged the SAM-6 for a good look. According to the box it has 292 parts, so lets see how things break down.

First up, in separate bags, are a small etched fret and some plastic tube, springs and wire cable (copper for some reason) plus a small decal sheet. Markings are provided for USSR, with 2 different insignias, Czechoslovakia, Poland and East Germany.

Upper and lower hull parts are very crisply moulded with excellent detail. It's a shame that the underside won't be visible.

Sprue A contains the missiles, road wheels and suspension arms. There are 3 of these sprues.

Sprue B contains mostly parts for the missile carrier with a couple of wheels and hull bits thrown in. There are 2 sprue B's.

Sprue C is the largest in the kit. Just one of these containing mainly parts to attach to the hull.

Sprue D contains the main parts for the missile carrier.

Two sprue E's form the link and length tracks. I rather like link and length as they are far superior to rubber band tracks but less hassle than individual links.

The painting guide is nice and colourful but only has three-views of an all green machine so if you want to build a camouflaged machine you're going to need your own reference sources. Colour callouts are Gunze paints and should be taken with a pinch of salt. ;-)

Instruction sheet is standard Trumpeter fayre. Nothing complicated although I think I've spotted an error in parts numbering just from an initial glance. A deeper study will reveal whether or not I'm correct.

The parts in the box look really nice; well moulded, no flash, sink marks or misalignment. Ejector pin marks all seem to be placed in out-of-sight areas. Hopefully it'll build as good as it looks. The suggested build sequence, as usual with armour kits, is pretty illogical in that it requires the builder to fit the roadwheels and tracks first. There appears to be a logical parts breakdown though and I'm pretty sure I can see a route through this one.

Hopefully, I'll get to make a start before the weekend.

More updates soon 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That looks to be a nice kit. Was it one of these that shot down MH 17? and I hope you had a Happy Birthday :beer:

Nigel
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks Nigel 8-)

MH17 was shot down by a later system called the buk which carries 4 SA-11 missiles.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's certainly an interesting kit and not the sort of subject you see built everyday - a good choice!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Not seeing any images.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That's odd Chris, it's all working for me. It might be PostImage having another minor meltdown though :roll: .

Not as much progress as I'd hoped for with the SAM-6. A last minute unexpected trip to North Wales yesterday put a damper on my plans for massive progress but bumped up my styrene loft insulation hugely ;-) .

So, just a little assembly to show.

The kit assembly route I'm going along breaks the kit into four parts: the hull, the missile carrier/turret; the missiles; and the tracks and wheels.

As the pictures show, the hull halves are together. They went together very nicely too. Unfortunately, the same can't be said, so far, for the missile launcher. The main box went together OK, although some seams will need to be hidden, but the 3 rails to support the missiles aren't that good. Each is comprised of four sides and I'm slowly getting them together one piece at a time using liquid cement and clamps. The problem is that, despite locating lugs they can't seem to help but misalign. They also don't seem to fit up against the box at the back and this has required some remedial sanding.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this kit.

More soon hopefully.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Time for a quick update.

The main bit of progress is the missile carrier is complete. Construction wasn't exactly straightforward. Surprisingly some filling was required at some of the seams and the launcher rails were quite awkward to line up largely due to vague locations and the rail structures being slightly misaligned. I got there in the end though.

The hull detailing continues apace. There are quite a lot of parts to attach, a lot of which could have IMHO been moulded in.

On the bright side the styrene seems to love Liquid Poly and it sets up pretty quick too.

The kit is let down by a few small flaws. Some parts, such as the periscope head shown below, had quite noticeable mould lines on them.

And others had ejector pin marks in exposed places. This is the same component alongside the larger periscope head with some pretty impressive sink marks. Things like this do tend to slow down the build process.

And that's about it for now.

The part alongside the vehicle is described as the "immobility clamp" in the instructions. Everything has been moved to the "in progress" shelf for a while so I can concentrate on the RN Ships GB. I've been quite clever with my choice of ship. It's a CBK so can appear at Telford and it's a Cold War destroyer so we can use it as part of our regular display.

Hopefully, more updates soon. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War GB”