Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Re: A Theme For '16

Post by Blueberryruby »

Dazzled wrote:
Blueberryruby wrote:
TomW wrote:Watching, waiting and having my house extended to accommodate a monster Tupolev ;-)

Regards

Tom
I got "big stick envy" after seeing yours so went and snapped up the Revel B-52 that was in the kit swap for £30. I've been holding off building my Vulcan as i wasn't sure where to put it so have absolutely no idea where the BUFF is going to go!

Tall tail or short tail BR? Think 1991 ;-)
Tall or short? I never knew there was a difference! If we want a 1991 model then i would need to convert it from a D to either a G or H model... is that possible (bearing in mind the short/long tail thing)?

I was thinking that a Big Bomber display would be interesting (B-52, V-bombers, B-1, TU-22m, -95, -160) but that doesn't really go with the 25 years anniversary.
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Kitaholic wrote:Unfortunately yes, never mind
Damn shame mate. We were around all weekend a except for that hour :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
TomW

Post by TomW »

Blueberryruby wrote:
Dazzled wrote:
Blueberryruby wrote:
TomW wrote:Watching, waiting and having my house extended to accommodate a monster Tupolev ;-)

Regards

Tom
I got "big stick envy" after seeing yours so went and snapped up the Revel B-52 that was in the kit swap for £30. I've been holding off building my Vulcan as i wasn't sure where to put it so have absolutely no idea where the BUFF is going to go!

Tall or short? I never knew there was a difference! If we want a 1991 model then i would need to convert it from a D to either a G or H model... is that possible (bearing in mind the short/long tail thing)?

I was thinking that a Big Bomber display would be interesting (B-52, V-bombers, B-1, TU-22m, -95, -160) but that doesn't really go with the 25 years anniversary.

It's quite a lot of work to go from a D to a G/H - not impossible but sadly probably easier to source a G/H kit (not cheaper mind you :shock: )

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

TomW wrote:
Blueberryruby wrote:
Dazzled wrote:
Blueberryruby wrote:

Regards

Tom

It's quite a lot of work to go from a D to a G/H - not impossible but sadly probably easier to source a G/H kit (not cheaper mind you :shock: )

Regards

Tom
I got that impression. This guy has done it but he used two kits.... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... ion/page-1

I did find a conversion kit, for the small sum of $200!!!

I think i might just stick with the D version for now
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

OK, time to spill the beans. Bear in mind this is still not a fully finalised idea although, so far, everything looks promisingly feasible. I'm going to work out some more details and should have a finalised theme proposal in a few days.

Think of the end of the Cold War, 1991. The world changed.

What I propose is a whole themed table illustrating that change. Not all the world though, just a select part of the Northern Hemisphere. The map can be laid out to take up the full 12' x 4' space. Each country will be represented by an "island" of the correct (ish) shape and in the correct geographical position, made of 1" thick insulation board topped with a printed map of said country. On top of these islands are models of relevant equipment and the whole lot is laid on light blue cloth or paper. Basically, it'll look like a map from an atlas with models on.

The point of the 1991 theme is that the end of the Cold War created 15 new independent states https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Soviet_states that suddenly found themselves in possession of some of the most lethal and up-to-date military gear in existence. and these can be represented by a whole range of ex-Warsaw Pact equipment in new markings. Of course, the ex-Warsaw pact countries themselves could also get the same treatment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Pact, so there are lots of possibilities regarding equipment in service at the time.

And the idea doesn't forget the West either. Here I propose though that Europe stays as one "lump" and the West is a little smaller than the East side of the table (say 5') with a model broken wall running along the old line of the Iron Curtain. The West will also contain a bit of ocean so there's a good place to put naval models.

I've done a few calculations and I reckon that this is possible. The USA and Russia won't be full size, because they're huge, so just half of each (East and West respectively) would be mapped. By a happy coincidence this is geographically perfect to show all the new and newly independent states without getting into ridiculous sizes.

There's scope for land, sea and air. The only aim is to fill as many of the countries as possible with appropriately marked models. A big bomber in Russia would be nice (A Tu160 would be perfect ;-) ) and all sorts of other stuff could be added. It won't hurt if we have more than one model per country provided there's room although a bit of co-ordination would be preferable to just using what turns up.

Finally, I'd like to put up a short backboard clamped to the table with some relevant information about the state of the world the audience is looking at.

So far that's pretty much it. "1991, The Cold War Legacy"

I've worked out how to make most of it and I think that it might convey a message that the world wasn't really any safer with the Cold war over. I'm going to work on some illustrations and post them up on here in a few days.

Any thoughts?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Wow, that will look really cool and will mean that the Cold War SIG will return to Telford with a bang!

I've got a few questions, comments and observations....

Although not strictly a result of the end of the cold war Yugoslavia started to break up in 1991 as well. Are we going to also include the beginnings of that? Croatia, Yugoslavia (aka Serbia), Slovenia, and Macedonia. Bosnia came along in 1992 so can be ignored.

Is this actually part of the remit of the SIG? As technically we are showing the situation AFTER the cold war (even if it is a by a few days!)

Following that point... as i understand it... we can't display any equipment in Gulf War schemes

I assume that we will display a united Germany as reunification happened in 1990. It might be interesting to show a Luftwaffe Mig-29 or some other ex-soviet kit in NATO colours.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Some good points and well made BR.

I have given some thought to Yugoslavia and, in the spirit of keeping things as close to the Cold War as possible, I think it would be best to treat Yugoslavia as one nation (plus I already have a Mig-29 in 1991 Yugoslav marking). Also, that particular area might get a bit cluttered if we include Serbia, Croatia etc. Bearing in mind your previous suggestion regarding nations that ceased to exist post Cold War, this would seem a good one to include alongside those that were created. In fact it was that idea that kicked off the whole concept.

I admit the SIG remit is pretty rigid but does allow, at a stretch, for Cold War equipment in other, or later markings. Besides, the concept relates to the direct outcome of the Cold War and I can't think of another SIG under whose remit this would fall.

The Gulf War thing is really about it being an entire separate conflict not concerning the protagonists of the Cold War. Plus we don't really want to step on the toes of the Gulf War SIG.

I agree about the unified Germany idea and the post unification Luftwaffe did operate some Soviet types. Again, I have a Mig in colours appropriate to the period albeit as the last flight of the DDR air force.

Thanks for the comments though. This kind of dialogue really helps to define and improve things 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

OK that all makes sense!

I've been doing a little research... below is a list of countries that we will need to represent (I've listed out what i think are "Western Europe" even though the plan is to lump them all together)

After having done some research it seems that a few of the former USSR states didn't have a military in 1991 and relied on Russian funded and commanded forces. Some of these went rouge (such as 201st Motorized Rifle Division in Tajikistan) and other states had guerrilla fighters so maybe we could tell that story when it comes to countries like Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

It still keeps to the theme of a less stable and predictable world post-cold war

USA

Former USSR:
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Estonia
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Latvia
Lithuania
Moldova
Russia
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Ukraine
Uzbekistan

Former eastern block:
Czechoslovakia - Dissolution was in 1993
Poland
Hungary
Romaina
Bulgaria

Yugoslavia - Show as a unified state

Western Europe:
UK
Germany - Show as a unified state
Ireland
France
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Netherlands
Belguim
Luxumberg
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Switzerland
Austria
Iceland
Greece
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Yep that'd be about it. We could skip some of the European countries though and some could be simpler models, maybe 1/76th armour. With some of the smaller nations that might be all that'll fit.

At the opposite end to the rouge nations though Belarus inherited a number of state of the art Su-27s. Even the research is interesting 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

The Cold Peace?

bestest,
M.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Is there an idiots list of what you then (ideally) need in the way of models to do this with that we can reference what we have versus what we need to source (ideally cheaply)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a good idea Darryl. Exuse me for perhaps being a bit thick but am I right in presuming we are looking at the position in 1991 up to and including the final acknowledged ending of the CW on 25th December of that year, excluding nations that became independent thereafter such as the Czech Republic? or are we going to stretch the remit a little?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Cut off date for the Cold War SIGs builds was always December 25 1991.

This was agreed with the IPMS(UK)E.C. upon formation of the SIG.

Anything past that date falls outside the SIG remit.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mattbacon wrote:The Cold Peace?

bestest,
M.

Nice idea Matt but it would be a very short and limited era to model :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”