A Theme For '16

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A Theme For '16

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:Is there an idiots list of what you then (ideally) need in the way of models to do this with that we can reference what we have versus what we need to source (ideally cheaply)

I'll be working on a guideline list very soon Chris. For the larger nations, i.e. USA and Russia, more than one model would be better, representing their still considerable force projection capabilities. The USA, particularly, could include an aircraft carrier, perhaps the Theodore Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln (in a manageable scale :) ) as these were the newest in the US fleet at the time.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:This is a good idea Darryl. Exuse me for perhaps being a bit thick but am I right in presuming we are looking at the position in 1991 up to and including the final acknowledged ending of the CW on 25th December of that year, excluding nations that became independent thereafter such as the Czech Republic? or are we going to stretch the remit a little?

That's pretty much it Shaun. All of 1991 up to the end. I think the remit could be stretched a little if there were, say, a limitation on decal availability, so long as the model is a piece of Cold War equipment that changed hands at the time.

There can always be a little wriggle room ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Falcon wrote:Cut off date for the Cold War SIGs builds was always December 25 1991.

This was agreed with the IPMS(UK)E.C. upon formation of the SIG.

Anything past that date falls outside the SIG remit.

Glad to read your input Chris. Got any thoughts on potential models?

Lots of F-16s in Europe at that time ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi dazzled will you be looking to include us equipment stationed in europe also which shows do you think you will be attending with the cold war sig and will there be any themes running before telford 2016 btw good luck with the sig
cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

planecrazyman61 wrote:hi dazzled will you be looking to include us equipment stationed in europe also which shows do you think you will be attending with the cold war sig and will there be any themes running before telford 2016 btw good luck with the sig
cheers craig

Hi Craig. I've only just taken over as SIG leader so I have a few things to sort out before I can organise show attendance but I will be looking to get the SIG represented at as many shows as possible to raise it's profile among the modelling community. Plans are afoot that will allow us to attend shows in a wider catchment area than was previously possible. Watch the Cold War section for regular updates.

I don't have any other themes in mind for the moment but just want to put on a general Cold War display table at as many shows as we can get to between us. New models built in readiness for Scale Model World can get an airing at these shows.

The Telford plan doesn't call for US equipment in Europe, I'm afraid. The idea is to represent the equipment of the particular country upon which the model is placed. That's not to say that models of US equipment couldn't be placed on the USA base.

Darryl 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi darryl re telford plan would sweden and finland be included or is it not feasable due to table size/shape
craig
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Well I have to say it sounds like an interesting idea - I'm looking forward to seeing your finalised plans.
I assume in the interests of fitting everything in you'll be sticking to a constant scale - Or will it be a mix to make best use of the models you already have?

Regardless I'd be happy to contribute some builds, maybe even some armour.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
chrism

Post by chrism »

I think a mix of scales will be necessary. Armour is readily available in 1:72/76. Whereas aircraft Carrier might prove a problem tht scale. I'd build one .. But We wont have half the hall to ourselves or the budget for paint for one that big ... as for planes ... They typically will be 1:72 or 1:44 I guess.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
chrism

Post by chrism »

Having seen the us hangar at Duxford replicated in models as it is this weekend ... You coułd do the Cold War hangar at Cosford ... Foods for thought possibly
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Mixed scales will be a necessity for a couple of reasons. First, some of the countries are pretty small and even with some artistic licence won't offer a great deal of display area and, second, a constant 1/72 wouldn't translate too well between types of equipment as we want the full spectrum of land, sea and air, and maybe space too.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:Having seen the us hangar at Duxford replicated in models as it is this weekend ... You coułd do the Cold War hangar at Cosford ... Foods for thought possibly
It's one to consider Chris. It'd certainly be compact :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Ha... yeah I'd forgotten Sea and Space :-D

A 1/72 Super Carrier although a great looking model, would certainly be a bugger to fit into the display!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Sir T wrote:Ha... yeah I'd forgotten Sea and Space :-D

A 1/72 Super Carrier although a great looking model, would certainly be a bugger to fit into the display!
Not to mention the back of the car :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

Don't mention the boot of car. The trial packing that went on for 3 weeks before this last foray was enough of a problem with all stuff I had to bring up (luckily it didn't all go back). I barely had an inch of spare space anywhere the stuff ie clothes that could be unholdalled and rammed into gaps ... Nothing moved as I cornered mind.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:Don't mention the boot of car. The trial packing that went on for 3 weeks before this last foray was enough of a problem with all stuff I had to bring up (luckily it didn't all go back). I barely had an inch of spare space anywhere the stuff ie clothes that could be unholdalled and rammed into gaps ... Nothing moved as I cornered mind.
It's a shame that Telford isn't on the coast.....

.....a 1/72nd supercarrier could be sailed there :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”