Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Telford SMW 2016 Display Proposal

Post by TomW »

Kitaholic wrote:
Dazzled wrote:
TomW wrote:Yep I like it, count me in :grin:

Regards

Tom

Sorry about your 1/72nd scale Tu-160 mate. It would have been just a little too magnificent for the display.

I think I might have just prompted another round of size-related puns :roll:
Oh hell, have I just admitted mines smaller than Tom's?? :oops: :ha:

Well one doesn't like to brag but......... :ha: :ha:

No worries about the 1/72 Tu-160 Darryl, there will always be another year when it will fit. I'll have to have a rummage through the stash and see what else is good to go for this.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi darryl really like this idea and nice job on the mock up helps visualise how its going to look,possible idea about the raised land areas -fasten them down with velcro onto the blue cloth also can i express an interest in being involved and supplying a few 1/72 models -j35j draken(sweden) -f4f phantom ICE(germany)
cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

planecrazyman61 wrote:hi darryl really like this idea and nice job on the mock up helps visualise how its going to look,possible idea about the raised land areas -fasten them down with velcro onto the blue cloth also can i express an interest in being involved and supplying a few 1/72 models -j35j draken(sweden) -f4f phantom ICE(germany)
cheers craig

Hi Craig. Very interested in both models. It'll help to fill in a bit of Europe and I'm sure we can squeeze the Draken into the small lump of Sweden next to the backboard. 8-) Even if the nosewheel has to go on Denmark :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A separate thread for build lists and for making ambitious promises :lol:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=12839
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:You've got a good mini layout made there already. I can already see a carrier coming on. According to scalemates reference site there are two italeri kits shown... kit 509 and 5531. Which one would you prefer ... (and which one can I source not via ebay/amazon is more to the point) for Roosevelt.

There is I think a Trumpeter 1:700 one for Roosevelt. Is that the wrong period/fit? I might even have one of them.... theres something American and carrier'ish up in the cupboard. I've not been up there in a while.
The Trumpeter kit looks to be just the right period. It'll certainly be superior to the Italeri option. 8-)

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 36&start=0
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

I've been upstairs (loft) looking through a dejected pile of items. There is a the remains of a trumpy carrier but its a WW2 fit Essex, and its is now in bin bag. kept planes! Also found planes and instructions for Carl Vinsen but no idea where hull is - it may have been spared the walk of shame and never have made it up there.

So I would need to source a kit. if I do so it needs to be "cheapish" as once built and delivered to you at Telford next year, I wouldn't want it back so its "yours for the sig" assuming you have space to keep it, else it would be binned. During my loft clearance I have found a couple of other non-ship items up there, that I will review tonight - ie see if there all there before I shame myself further to you.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Good looking idea Darryl. One suggestion to enable more aircraft to fit per country would be to mount some in flight on poles - acrylic rod or whatever. Also, if you have a backboard similar to the one we used on the CBK display this year, again aircraft could be placed up on this or supported by rods/poles projecting out from it. It would make the whole display more dynamic and three dimensional, but like I said, just a suggestion mate.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

beany wrote:Good looking idea Darryl. One suggestion to enable more aircraft to fit per country would be to mount some in flight on poles - acrylic rod or whatever. Also, if you have a backboard similar to the one we used on the CBK display this year, again aircraft could be placed up on this or supported by rods/poles projecting out from it. It would make the whole display more dynamic and three dimensional, but like I said, just a suggestion mate.
Cheers
Al.
I was thinking something along the same lines mate, particularly for 1/144 aircraft. Only from the baseboard though. I don't want to risk it from the backboard which is going to be quite low in any case. BTW, do you fancy building something for us? In return I can offer my 1/144 U-boat and classic 1/35 Corporal missile for the Revell stand :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:I've been upstairs (loft) looking through a dejected pile of items. There is a the remains of a trumpy carrier but its a WW2 fit Essex, and its is now in bin bag. kept planes! Also found planes and instructions for Carl Vinsen but no idea where hull is - it may have been spared the walk of shame and never have made it up there.

So I would need to source a kit. if I do so it needs to be "cheapish" as once built and delivered to you at Telford next year, I wouldn't want it back so its "yours for the sig" assuming you have space to keep it, else it would be binned. During my loft clearance I have found a couple of other non-ship items up there, that I will review tonight - ie see if there all there before I shame myself further to you.
That's very generous of you Chris. I'm sure that I have storage room for a Cold War carrier and will be happy to display it at the shows we attend 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

Having found a review of the kit its not inspiring me to pay a lot for one.... but I will see if I can source a second hand/cheap one.
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.p ... nt&id=5921;
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:Having found a review of the kit its not inspiring me to pay a lot for one.... but I will see if I can source a second hand/cheap one.
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.p ... nt&id=5921;
I think the review is a bit harsh personally. I've built a couple of Italeri's carrier kits and they make a fine base to work from. Of course they're nowhere near as sophisticated as the Trumpeter kits but that is reflected in the price.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Dazzled wrote: BTW, do you fancy building something for us? In return I can offer my 1/144 U-boat and classic 1/35 Corporal missile for the Revell stand :)
Sure thing mate, as far as I know I'm still a Cold War SIG member (I've never resigned and don't recall being thrown out :ha: :shock: ). I know I have an Academy 1/48 MiG21 with Hungarian markings, but will that be too big? I've also got Revell 1/100 French Mirage IIIC, Luftwaffe F4-F and UK Bucanneer if any of them are any use? There's bound to be other stuff in the stash for the more obscure countries on the list I expect, so I'll get looking.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

beany wrote:
Dazzled wrote: BTW, do you fancy building something for us? In return I can offer my 1/144 U-boat and classic 1/35 Corporal missile for the Revell stand :)
Sure thing mate, as far as I know I'm still a Cold War SIG member (I've never resigned and don't recall being thrown out :ha: :shock: ). I know I have an Academy 1/48 MiG21 with Hungarian markings, but will that be too big? I've also got Revell 1/100 French Mirage IIIC, Luftwaffe F4-F and UK Bucanneer if any of them are any use? There's bound to be other stuff in the stash for the more obscure countries on the list I expect, so I'll get looking.
I think anything in 1/48 will be too big mate :cry: and you are a member of the SIG. You're one of the few I have contact details for :) .

BTW, I also have a couple of Revell 1/9th Ducatis in the cabinet 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

iggie

Post by iggie »

Not a member of the SIG, but just wanted to say I very much like the proposed display idea!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

iggie wrote:Not a member of the SIG, but just wanted to say I very much like the proposed display idea!
Thanks iggie. :)

You're welcome to join up ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”