Telford SMW 2016 Display Proposal

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Telford SMW 2016 Display Proposal

Post by Dazzled »

As I've not received death threats regarding my proposal for a 1991 Cold War Legacy display for next year's Scale Model World I've spent a few hours working up the display idea. Most of that time was spent constructing a prototype.

It's a roughly 1:7 scale model of the display layout. I've taken quite a few liberties with the map, shuffling and stretching bits of the world to best suit the illustrative purposes of the display and to provide maximum space for models. The Atlantic Ocean, for instance, is now so narrow that Columbus could have crossed it with a long plank :) and the smaller ex-Soviet states are quite a bit bigger than they have any right to expect as, I'm sure you can see, is Europe.

So, the basic proposal is to show the world as it was immediately after the collapse of the Soviet Union illustrating the new countries that suddenly came into existence and others than found themselves free of Soviet control. The point is to illustrate that the world didn't necessarily become a safer place after the Cold War. All the weapons were still out there and many were in the hands of politically unstable infant nations. Russia still had a huge arsenal at it's disposal and the West, who had spent years developing and deploying equipment aimed at countering one particular threat, now found themselves unprepared for the new shape of the world map and the new threats it carried.

So, to explain the prototype....

It's based around measurements of 12' x 4', a standard table at SMW. There's a short backboard, about 10 or 11 inches tall and made in 2 pieces for transport, mounting a museum style information display, the title of the display and 2 shelves for model subs. These are, I propose, 1:350th scale ballistic missile boats and I just happen to have both Typhoon and Ohio classes in the stash :) .

The map will be laid on a base of either light blue paper or cloth. Mrs Dazzled is already looking to source this for us. Land sections of the map will be raised, constructed of 12mm insulation board topped with printed maps. The board is light and relatively cheap and I can make these in my workshop plus it'll straddle the table joins and give a flat surface to display on. Building the prototype has revealed better ways to group nations than I had originally envisaged and this will cut down on the amount of cutting required.

The "models" parked on the map are for illustrative purposes but they are pretty close to what 1/72nd aircraft will look like. I'm afraid that a 1/72nd Tu-160 will be out of the question as it'll be bigger than Russia! In fact any large bomber would be better represented in 1/144th. The ship in the Atlantic is a (very rough) representation of a late Nimitz class aircraft carrier, I was thinking the Roosevelt or Lincoln, in 1:720th scale. Italeri produce a kit of both. There's also room in the ocean for more sea-going models so perhaps a guided missile destroyer or similar for somebody who'd like to build one.

I'm sure that you will all have spotted that, despite my best planet creating efforts (Slartibardfast has got nothing on me ;-) ) some of the nations are a bit on the small side. I was thinking that we could fill the gaps with small scale armour. I know there's at least one member of our SIG who likes building these and there are a number of excellent kits on the market. In fact, a bit of armour dotted about would, I think, balance the whole display. We could also include figures too if anybody is that way inclined.

And that's about it really. If anybody dislikes the idea please say so. I won't be offended and I'd be happier myself knowing that I'm not turning a hobby into a chore for anyone. Nothing in the proposal can't be changed and I'd welcome any suggestions or criticisms.

Darryl 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Telford SMW 2016 Display Proposal

Post by JamesPerrin »

IF you builds this then I thing you should also take this model of the display itself, to which you could add a small model of the display ad infinitum :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I think that's a superb idea Darryl - the mock up looks really good.

I think your right - it'd be nice to have a mix of aircraft, ships and tanks (one of those 1/72 mobile missile launchers would look good) - maybe even a few rotor craft.

What sort of info would you have on the back board?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

I like it.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
chrism

Post by chrism »

You've got a good mini layout made there already. I can already see a carrier coming on. According to scalemates reference site there are two italeri kits shown... kit 509 and 5531. Which one would you prefer ... (and which one can I source not via ebay/amazon is more to the point) for Roosevelt.

There is I think a Trumpeter 1:700 one for Roosevelt. Is that the wrong period/fit? I might even have one of them.... theres something American and carrier'ish up in the cupboard. I've not been up there in a while.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:You've got a good mini layout made there already. I can already see an italeri carrier coming on. According to scalemates reference site there are two kits shown... kit 509 and 5531. Which one would you prefer ... (and which one can I source not via ebay/amazin is more to the point) for Roosevelt.
Either one would be fine Chris. They're both the same basic mould but 5531 is listed as "extra parts" so maybe it's the more accurate.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

JamesPerrin wrote:IF you builds this then I thing you should also take this model of the display itself, to which you could add a small model of the display ad infinitum :mrgreen:

And place them on shorter and shorter tables :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Sir T wrote:I think that's a superb idea Darryl - the mock up looks really good.

I think your right - it'd be nice to have a mix of aircraft, ships and tanks (one of those 1/72 mobile missile launchers would look good) - maybe even a few rotor craft.

What sort of info would you have on the back board?
The back board will have information about the events of 1991, so the break up of the Soviet Union, a piece on Yugoslavia, something about the Western Powers, that sort of thing. I can work something up.

Funny you should mention missile launchers and helicopters. I have the 1/72nd Zvezda SS-25 and Topol launcher in the stash plus a Kamov Ka-50 built in Soviet markings for the Uzbekistan conflict.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Looks like a great idea Daz, got quite a bit in the stash that would work, including a 1/144 Tu-160 if it's needed. Got quite a bit of braille scale armour from that period too (including the SS-25 as well)
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
TomW

Post by TomW »

Yep I like it, count me in :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Kitaholic wrote:Looks like a great idea Daz, got quite a bit in the stash that would work, including a 1/144 Tu-160 if it's needed. Got quite a bit of braille scale armour from that period too (including the SS-25 as well)

The 1/144th scale Tu-160 would be brilliant Kit. Please build away. 8-)

The same goes for the small scale armour too particularly if you can vary the markings around the former Soviet states :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TomW wrote:Yep I like it, count me in :grin:

Regards

Tom

Sorry about your 1/72nd scale Tu-160 mate. It would have been just a little too magnificent for the display.

I think I might have just prompted another round of size-related puns :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

No problem. Do you want the 160 in Russian/Soviet markings or Ukrainian?
Regards

Gord

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Dazzled wrote:
TomW wrote:Yep I like it, count me in :grin:

Regards

Tom

Sorry about your 1/72nd scale Tu-160 mate. It would have been just a little too magnificent for the display.

I think I might have just prompted another round of size-related puns :roll:
Oh hell, have I just admitted mines smaller than Tom's?? :oops: :ha:
Regards

Gord

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Kitaholic wrote:No problem. Do you want the 160 in Russian/Soviet markings or Ukrainian?

Russian please. I have Ukraine covered (literally ;-) ) with a 1/72nd Foxbat.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”