2016 SMW Builds

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Falcon
F-16 Fan

Re: 2016 SMW Builds

Post by Falcon »

No idea what I will build yet.

Quite baffled however.

We are the Cold War SIG, yet everyone seems to want to build outside the 1946-1991 timeframe.

Surely the whole point of the SIG is to build within that 45 year Cold War timeframe.

When the SIG was originally set up I was told by the IPMS(UK) President, Paul Regan himself, ''Nothing outside those dates. No Gulf War, Falklands, Middle East Conflicts or South American wars as there are already SIG's that cater for these builds''.

It took a lot of work on my part trying to get the SIG off the ground in the first place due to how large the scope is for a Special Interest Group, I personally think we should always try to respect El Presidente's decision.

Cheers.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That was kind of what I was wondering in my previous question Chris. While I love the idea of the world immediately after the fall of the iron curtain - the 'legacy' - it does present me with a problem on my two Soviet builds - Kazakhstans armed forces didn't gain independence until June 1992 and the Belarus Airforce didn't come into being until 1993 - so to build in those markings falls way outside the sig - as in reality they would still be in soviet markings in the immediate post cold war period.

thoughts anyone?

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi darryl iknow i'm down to build 5 kits for the display but while i was in the loft locating the su 22 fitter i spotted this next to it
so i pulled it out a and will build it in this scheme
lithuanian markings+shark mouth, is it too big to fit over that area you will have a better idea of the space available , if it is i'll still build it for the cold war sig tables at the other shows i.e cosford
cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

planecrazyman61 wrote:hi darryl iknow i'm down to build 5 kits for the display but while i was in the loft locating the su 22 fitter i spotted this next to it
so i pulled it out a and will build it in this scheme
lithuanian markings+shark mouth, is it too big to fit over that area you will have a better idea of the space available , if it is i'll still build it for the cold war sig tables at the other shows i.e cosford
cheers craig
Please do Craig. It looks too nice a kit not too. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:Tom: Feel free to take and commit to the Roosevelt, from Italeri and then I can find something else to do. At the moment the best price I can find is £15.31 post free from Amazon, via models4hobby but I don't do internet shopping like on there to be able to take advantage. I was intending to ask our esteemed leader what if any other ships would be appreciated, then I can see if my best sources can get me something suitable
Some sort of guided missile destroyer perhaps? Maybe something from one of the smaller navies? :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TomW wrote:Can I throw my hat into the ring with a 1/72 Mirage IIIBA for Belgium? Plus I see we have two 1/700 supercarriers offered but would you like a 'Harrier Carrier' for the UK as well? If so I'll buy one later.

Regards

Tom
I think we might be OK for carriers but I'll keep your offer in mind. The Mirage III would be nice though. Mind you, by necessity, it will overlap into France ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Falcon wrote:No idea what I will build yet.

Quite baffled however.

We are the Cold War SIG, yet everyone seems to want to build outside the 1946-1991 timeframe.

Surely the whole point of the SIG is to build within that 45 year Cold War timeframe.

When the SIG was originally set up I was told by the IPMS(UK) President, Paul Regan himself, ''Nothing outside those dates. No Gulf War, Falklands, Middle East Conflicts or South American wars as there are already SIG's that cater for these builds''.

It took a lot of work on my part trying to get the SIG off the ground in the first place due to how large the scope is for a Special Interest Group, I personally think we should always try to respect El Presidente's decision.

Cheers.
I appreciate your concerns about going outside the SIGs remit Chris but it's not the intention of the theme to do so. I intended the display to be representative of the Western world at the point the Cold War ended and the 25 year anniversary seemed to be something we should commemorate. I thought a little leeway would allow more people to take part without having too much trouble sourcing kits and decals and help to demonstrate how dangerous the world had suddenly become while the general perception was that it was safer.
As Stu pointed out, the Belarus AF didn't officially exist until after this period but they were using former Soviet Cold War aircraft on behalf of the new government in the meantime and they were given national markings despite the fact that their air force didn't officially exist. Historically it was a time of confusion with most new states in limbo. That was the world of 1991, still within the remit of the SIG.
I'm also hoping that this display will be eye-catching enough to provoke some more interest in our SIG.
For my own part it would have been easier to have gone for an earlier period. It would certainly have made a big chunk of my stash more useful. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Only thing I have in the stash that kinda fits the 'Endings' that is an appropriate size is the Sukhoi SU-34.

First flown in 1990, I could do it in this scheme....
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
TomW

Post by TomW »

Dazzled wrote:
TomW wrote:Can I throw my hat into the ring with a 1/72 Mirage IIIBA for Belgium? Plus I see we have two 1/700 supercarriers offered but would you like a 'Harrier Carrier' for the UK as well? If so I'll buy one later.

Regards

Tom
I think we might be OK for carriers but I'll keep your offer in mind. The Mirage III would be nice though. Mind you, by necessity, it will overlap into France ;-)
No problem Darryl :grin: I'll save my pennies for now though I am drawn to some of Trumpeter's 1/700 range of ships.

We can strike the Netherlands off the list too as I have an F-16B in Dutch colours for the correct time period.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Falcon wrote:Only thing I have in the stash that kinda fits the 'Endings' that is an appropriate size is the Sukhoi SU-34.

First flown in 1990, I could do it in this scheme....
How about something that was in service at the time? Late block F-16 or F-15E perhaps? Quite a bit of earlier equipment was updated and in service at the time. Craigs j-35j is a good example. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TomW wrote:
Dazzled wrote:

Regards

Tom
No problem Darryl :grin: I'll save my pennies for now though I am drawn to some of Trumpeter's 1/700 range of ships.

We can strike the Netherlands off the list too as I have an F-16B in Dutch colours for the correct time period.

Regards

Tom
Hi Tom

Your F-16 will end up sitting on the Belgian Mirage :lol:

I don't suppose you have Turkish markings for it, do you?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

TomW

Post by TomW »

Dazzled wrote:
TomW wrote:
Dazzled wrote:

Regards

Tom

Regards

Tom
Hi Tom

Unfortunately it's already built Darryl :roll: but I'll look into the Turkey situation. It would be a different nation to those I normally build.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Turkish Phantoms look very cool. And they're Phantoms, not lawn darts... what more excuse do you need? ;-P

bestest,
M.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TomW wrote:
Dazzled wrote:
TomW wrote:
Dazzled wrote:

Regards

Tom

Regards

Tom
Hi Tom

Unfortunately it's already built Darryl :roll: but I'll look into the Turkey situation. It would be a different nation to those I normally build.

Regards

Tom
That'll be great Tom. Bring the Dutch Falcon though. The more the merrier :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mattbacon wrote:Turkish Phantoms look very cool. And they're Phantoms, not lawn darts... what more excuse do you need? ;-P

bestest,
M.
Fancy building one to show us what they look like Matt? :-D
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”