2016 SMW Builds

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 2016 SMW Builds

Post by Dazzled »

Maverick231 wrote:Hey all!
I'm going to keep my list to a minimum(If its ok for me to take part of course)
I'm only going to try and complete 2 builds from each side.
They are:

Soviet:
Tupolev TU-16 Badger G
Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhound

NATO:
Avro Vulcan B.2
TB-58 Hustler
Hi Adam, it's great to have you aboard for the SMW 2016 display. However, the concept is for equipment in service in 1991 so out of your list only the Mig-31 really applies. Which manufacturer is it from and what are the marking options?

These links should give you a better idea.....

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=12835

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=12846

As for the other models, we'll still have a general Cold War display at other shows so build them anyway. The last thing I want to do is stop anybody enjoying what they build and I'm sure they'll look great on the display table 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Dazzled wrote:
They are:

Soviet:
Tupolev TU-16 Badger G
Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhound

NATO:
Avro Vulcan B.2
TB-58 Hustler
Hi Adam, it's great to have you aboard for the SMW 2016 display. However, the concept is for equipment in service in 1991 so out of your list only the Mig-31 really applies. Which manufacturer is it from and what are the marking options?

As for the other models, we'll still have a general Cold War display at other shows so build them anyway. The last thing I want to do is stop anybody enjoying what they build and I'm sure they'll look great on the display table 8-)
I am pretty sure the Badger was also still in service in 1991.

In 1990, Soviet Naval Aviation had around 215 Badgers (various versions) and the Soviet Air Force had around 230 Badgers (various versions) in active service.

The various versions include tankers, medium bomber/missile carriers, ECM and recce aircraft, although all of these aircraft are thought to have been retired within 2 years of the demise of the Soviet Union.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Falcon wrote:
Dazzled wrote:
They are:

Soviet:
Tupolev TU-16 Badger G
Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhound

NATO:
Avro Vulcan B.2
TB-58 Hustler

I am pretty sure the Badger was also still in service in 1991.

In 1990, Soviet Naval Aviation had around 215 Badgers (various versions) and the Soviet Air Force had around 230 Badgers (various versions) in active service.

The various versions include tankers, medium bomber/missile carriers, ECM and recce aircraft, although all of these aircraft are thought to have been retired within 2 years of the demise of the Soviet Union.
You're absolutely correct Chris. Although in 1/72 it's going to be a bit on the big side. Your own Tu-16 (an excellent modell BTW 8-) ) occupied quite a bit of table space at the Midlands show as I recall.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Spanish F-5B to my build pile. I really fancy building the Matchbox kit.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok Daz that's fine so the Hustler is out, XH558 was in service with the Vulcan Display Flight till 1992 if that counts?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Maverick231 wrote:Ok Daz that's fine so the Hustler is out, XH558 was in service with the Vulcan Display Flight till 1992 if that counts?
The Vulcan is going to be a bit big mate. Besides which we have the UK covered by Stu's Tornado. Please check out the country list to see what's still available/applicable :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ahh ok so the criteria is not big and something that was in service in 1991 with a country that someone else hasn't already covered.

After thinking a lot about it I'm going to stick with my Russian Air Force MiG-31 Foxhound Daz.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Maverick231 wrote:Ahh ok so the criteria is not big and something that was in service in 1991 with a country that someone else hasn't already covered.

After thinking a lot about it I'm going to stick with my Russian Air Force MiG-31 Foxhound Daz.
That'll be great Mav. Russia is a big old area to cover.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Yeah I love Russian kit.
Right here goes asking CBK SIG if I can display a 1/72 Concorde on their table.......
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Happy new year!

I've been under radio silence for most of December due to Xmas and house building getting in the way but I've had the time to do a little research. I share the concerns of Falcon about over-stepping the Sigs remit regarding dates but i think this only really applies to the former Soviet states.

I've tried to find out what equipment was in use in each country in 1991 that has not already been claimed on this page - http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=12846

Hopefully people will find it useful and we can fill in some of the blanks!

Armenia
Although the airforce was only officially created in 1992 it is reported that Armenia took control of 1 Mig 25 and 2 SU-25, and some Mi 24s in 1991.

They also converted civilian Mi 8 to bomb civilian targets in their 1990 conflict.

Source

Azerbaijan

SU-24
Mig 25
Mi 24
T-55 tank

Source

Georgia
Only had a national guard, no aircraft that I can track down in 1991. They obtained trainers in 1992.

Edit - They had SU 25 airframes in the factory that built them which happened to be based in Georgia. These were later given to the Georgian air force

Moldova

Mig 29

Source

Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan
Neither had any aircraft in 1991 - All air defence was supplied by the Russians at this time

Main military force in Tajikistan was the Russian 201st Motorised Rifle Division - A semiautonomous pro-Communist Russian division.

Source

Turkmenistan
Land forces made up of the Kushka and Kizil-Arvat divisions.
Airforce remained under Russian command until 1994, however it did have a number of disassembled su25 airframes in storage which later formed part of the airforce.

Source

Uzbekistan
The Uzbek airforce was not official until 1992 however it started operating in 1991 and with a large number of aircraft.

SU-27 B/C
Mig 29 A/B
SU-24 C
SU-17 J/K
SU-25 A/B

Mi 24 D/E
Mi 8
Mi 17
Mi 26
Mi 6

Source
Source

SU-25 Source
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for sharing this BR. As I keep reiterating there is absolutely no intention of exceeding the remit of the SIG which runs to the end of 1991. However, there is a small amount of leeway to allow for difficulties in obtaining decals or specific kits.

Also, there's a lot of scope for more research. Personally, I've found some research to be rather difficult. The TOS-1 mobile rocket launcher for instance appeared in a number of former Soviet countries post Cold War but how they got there is something of a mystery as they remained classified until the late 1990s even in those countries that appear to have inherited them.

Still, so long as we do our own research and there is at least a credible case that a particular piece of equipment was in use at the time I don't see any issues.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

I completely agree with you, I think it's an excellent subject and makes for interesting research. I've found quite a bit written about the equipment left behind but not images to see what the paint schemes were. I like to imagine hand painted roundels over the soviet star but have no evidence!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Work is progressing on a 1/72 Block 40 F-16C of the Turkish Air Force.

I am not too happy with the paint job so will be doing parts of it again before I take any photos.
Chris.

Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Re-masking and re-spraying appears to have done the trick.

It would appear that when I first sprayed the darker of the greys, I had knocked the air pressure up a little too much and the paint had come out far too glossy.

I think I am starting to get the hang of spraying enamels again.

Chris.

planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

thats looking good chris what loadout are you hanging on it
craig

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”