Appeal for Updates

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Appeal for Updates

Post by Dazzled »

Hi guys. I've been reviewing the build progress for the SMW display and it doesn't paint a pretty or encouraging picture. We're going to be quite a bit short of enough models to fill the space we have and that's assuming that everybody still in actually shows up at the show with models in hand. I really need some updates as to what you all have built and available or can guarantee to finish and bring along. We're still quite short on a lot of completed stuff. If it won't work then I'll need to come up with a plan B and I really need to know before I invest in materials needed to build the display.

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Re: Appeal for Updates

Post by chrism »

the carrier is as you saw from photos months ago all built, finished, boxed up and ready to go, and I plan on bringing it to Farnborough to handover to you then.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TomW

Post by TomW »

Currently:

1.Kirov class just needs P/E finishing and can be called complete.

2.Warrior is awaiting decals and final fiddly details.

3.STRV.103B construction has begun.

4.Belgian Mirage 5 is not started - may not be available but will need to re-assess at the end of Aug.

5.Dutch F.16B is complete and available.

6.BM-21 'Grad' not started but will be ready in time.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi daryl progress on my builds
f4f phantom built still to paint
mig29a built but might add some photo etch still to paint
super etendard built bar a few detail small bits to paint
su22um-3k wings ,ordanance built and fuselage 1/2 done
j35j draken damaged resin cockpit had held up progress,sorted, should build fine now 1/3 done
for greece i have a built mirage 2000c to be painted ,though the mirage f1 is still an option
the l39c albatros had some build issues if i can get intakes/ plates off intact will continue the build

all should be done by telford(possible exception is the albatros)
btw i have a nearly finished alpha jet (belgium)
cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the updates so far guys. I'm thinking that, perhaps lifting the restriction on large 1/72nd scale aircraft might help. I have a Tu-22 Backfire that I can probably finish in time and that will help to fill a reasonable sized gap in the Eastern side. Also, I'm going to be less fussy about national markings. If you have anything relevant to the period in Soviet stars I can find a place to put it.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Completed models so far

1/72
TOS-1
T-72B
T-64 mod 1981
Leopard 1A5 (afaik someone else has done one but it's there as back up)

1/700
Los Angeles class
Typhoon class
Kilo class
Akula 1 class
(again think a couple of these may be doubles but consider them back up)

In progress

1/72
M60A3
M1A1
Challenger 1

1/144
Tu-160
B-52H

Preparing to start

1/144
Tu-95
B-1B
A-90 Ekranoplan

Time permitting

1/144
Tu-16
TR-1A
LCAC ( but this one is unlikely)
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry for the tardy response Daz. As you may remember, I finished up the German Leopard from my promised builds in the early part of the year. The Dutch Leo is painted and gloss varnished and Craig (Planecrazyman) has kindly provided me with some decals that I can use and I will do my utmost to make sure that the model is finished on time.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the replies guys. It's looking a little more encouraging. I've figured out what to make the map from and I'm looking to have all the materials in hand by the end of the month.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

The materials for the map display are on order. Hopefully they'll arrive in the week when I'll have a little time to spare. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Hiya Daz.
My MiG-31 Foxhound is built and ready for the show as promised.
Also the Tu-16 and possibly the Vulcan are still aviable if you need to fill space?
And I see there's no one down for the UK, I could bring 2 or 3 along if you want?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Maverick231 wrote:Hiya Daz.
My MiG-31 Foxhound is built and ready for the show as promised.
Also the Tu-16 and possibly the Vulcan are still aviable if you need to fill space?
And I see there's no one down for the UK, I could bring 2 or 3 along if you want?
The Mig-31 would be most welcome Mav but the Vulcan and Badger fall outside the 1991 remit of the display. I'd be very grateful for a UK contribution so long as it's relevant to the time period. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Dazzled wrote:The materials for the map display are on order. Hopefully they'll arrive in the week when I'll have a little time to spare. 8-)

The materials for the map display are no longer on order. "Hobby's", the supplier I chose, apparently don't have enough sheets of Styrofoam in stock despite what their website states as a stock level :frown:

And then they waited 5 days to tell me and provided a contact number that nobody answers when I ring them :evil:

I've e-mailed and asked for a refund (hopefully I'll get my money back) and now I'm back to casting around for an alternative. Considering the way time is closing down I'm considering, despite the expense, getting the map printed full size.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

That I guess was hobbys in London there is a hobbies of Dereham in Norfolk who are reliable or else hobbycraft who do mail order ?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It is , indeed, Hobby's of London Chris. A company I'll likely avoid in future.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And, after much faffing about, I've ordered some green eva exercise mats from eBay. Coming from China but should still get here in plenty of time....I hope.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”