A Theme for '17

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

A Theme for '17

Post by Dazzled »

Some may consider this a little early with efforts currently ramping up towards SMW 2016 but I think it's time to start discussing plans for SMW 2017 so this is a thread to put forward proposals and ideas for the SIG's 2017 display at Telford.

Some of you who've attended shows with me this year will already be familiar with my own proposal which is to mark the 70th anniversary of the start of the Cold war although, unlike this years theme of sticking to one year, I propose that we look at building models to represent equipment from the first decade of the Cold War, illustrating that it wasn't all supersonic bombers, nuclear subs and ICBMs and that it all started with some old-fashioned WW2 surplus machinery. There's also scope for marking major events and changes during this period and for demonstrating the many advances made during this time. To achieve this I propose grouping models into relevant display groups, for example the Korean War, the Berlin Airlift, jet aircraft development, SEATO, NATO, Warsaw Pact etc. I'd like it if individual SIG members could adopt a theme as their own and organise the display section accordingly. In my view, this is a less constricting theme than 2016s and should be easier to achieve.

Any more proposals or comments guys?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
IronMan129

Re: A Theme for '17

Post by IronMan129 »

I'd back your proposal Daz!
I have plenty of WWII NATO equipment I could bring along for the display and I have loads in the stash available for this.
Or/and I could put myself forward for the Jet Aircraft Development section.
chrism

Post by chrism »

No, it is not too early to think about a display for a year ahead - it is very sensible - as it allows people time now to think through what they could offer, and/or fancy tackling, and then there is plenty of scope for purchasing and building at leisure over the coming winter, and it is what I know a number of clubs do, and they are the ones with the well organised and planned displays.

As for this suggestion - I would be quite happy to build a little something towards it, once we can identity what - other than a Berlin Chieftain. I have an airfix one and the conversion stuff, and just need a roll or two of masking tape and the impetus to do it.
If this does go ahead I might well think about a couple of other items, if we can identify them early enough for me to source necessary kits and conversion stuff this November.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

The idea is that SIG members can pick their own theme so long as it falls within the timespan and then work towards it either solo or by soliciting help from other members. It doesn't matter what the theme is so long as a small display can be made from it. Personally, I'm quite drawn to a few ideas (e.g., The end of colonialism, the formation of the Warsaw Pact, early CW naval power) and I'd be perfectly happy to contribute towards others. By running it in this way I hope that we can each contribute to the organisation and make the best out of previously built models and what we already possess in our stashes.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

This could be a GB to consider as an excuse to build some early Cold War subjects.

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14451
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”