*NEW SET UP RULES @ SMW*

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

*NEW SET UP RULES @ SMW*

Post by Dazzled »

While I was away working in Germany a letter arrived at Dazzled Towers outlining some new rules for setting up/tearing down at SMW this year. These have apparently been forced upon the IPMS by the venue for reasons of "health and safety" but IMHO they're going to cause a lot of unnecessary hassle. The document is quite wordy so I'm going to break it down into points.

1. I have to nominate a set-up team of up to 4 people. These will be the only people from the SIG allowed in the halls during the set-up periods (3 to 9pm Friday, 8 to 9 am Saturday and Sunday. They will receive appropriate wrist bands.

2. All the set-up team must be IPMS members. This is something that I think the IPMS have shoved in themselves.

3. Other SIG members will only be allowed access once the show is open. Non-IPMS members will only be allowed access from 10am Saturday and Sunday. I think that this rule is unfair. I fully recognise the huge contribution that non-IPMS SIG members are making to this display and believe that they should be 100% involved in set-up and running of the display.

4. Non IPMS members must vacate the venue at 4pm on Sunday. Break down begins at 4:30pm. This is going to create havoc as non-IPMS members try to reclaim display models. It's also going to create a great deal more work for other SIG members. I can see a number of clubs/SIGs in similar situations being forced to break down their displays early.

Personally, I'm pretty ticked off with this whole arrangement and I'll be bringing this up at the SIG/Branch leaders meeting. Whether somebody wants to be a member of the IPMS is a personal choice and many clubs and SIGs have members who are not in the IPMS. I feel that these regs are being used to penalise those not in the organisation and if, as claimed, the IPMS has been left with no choice by the venue to implement these changes then perhaps it's time to look for a new venue for Scale Model World.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: *NEW SET UP RULES @ SMW*

Post by PaulBradley »

We've a discussion going here, Daz:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=335&t=14393;

May I suggest you get together with Shaun, Tom and Al to work out the best approach? :)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:While I was away working in Germany a letter arrived at Dazzled Towers outlining some new rules for setting up/tearing down at SMW this year. These have apparently been forced upon the IPMS by the venue for reasons of "health and safety" but IMHO they're going to cause a lot of unnecessary hassle. The document is quite wordy so I'm going to break it down into points.

1. I have to nominate a set-up team of up to 4 people. These will be the only people from the SIG allowed in the halls during the set-up periods (3 to 9pm Friday, 8 to 9 am Saturday and Sunday. They will receive appropriate wrist bands.

2. All the set-up team must be IPMS members. This is something that I think the IPMS have shoved in themselves.

3. Other SIG members will only be allowed access once the show is open. Non-IPMS members will only be allowed access from 10am Saturday and Sunday. I think that this rule is unfair. I fully recognise the huge contribution that non-IPMS SIG members are making to this display and believe that they should be 100% involved in set-up and running of the display.

4. Non IPMS members must vacate the venue at 4pm on Sunday. Break down begins at 4:30pm. This is going to create havoc as non-IPMS members try to reclaim display models. It's also going to create a great deal more work for other SIG members. I can see a number of clubs/SIGs in similar situations being forced to break down their displays early.

Personally, I'm pretty ticked off with this whole arrangement and I'll be bringing this up at the SIG/Branch leaders meeting. Whether somebody wants to be a member of the IPMS is a personal choice and many clubs and SIGs have members who are not in the IPMS. I feel that these regs are being used to penalise those not in the organisation and if, as claimed, the IPMS has been left with no choice by the venue to implement these changes then perhaps it's time to look for a new venue for Scale Model World.
I hope I don't cause offence but the last paragraph of your post is sort of why I haven't joined IPMS. I know there are lots of benefits and it's nice to have everyone on board, but I've always felt you're thought of in a higher vein if you're a member and less so if you're not (please let me know if this isn't the case, it's probably my depression having a go at me!! :lol: ). However I also realise there is a need for organising things and H&S seems to rule and ruin a lot of things that should be simple. Anyway, apologies where necessary. I will never knock IPMS for nothing (or at all), but I just like everyone to be welcome regardless.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Dazzled wrote:While I was away working in Germany a letter arrived at Dazzled Towers outlining some new rules for setting up/tearing down at SMW this year. These have apparently been forced upon the IPMS by the venue for reasons of "health and safety" but IMHO they're going to cause a lot of unnecessary hassle. The document is quite wordy so I'm going to break it down into points.

I hope I don't cause offence but the last paragraph of your post is sort of why I haven't joined IPMS. I know there are lots of benefits and it's nice to have everyone on board, but I've always felt you're thought of in a higher vein if you're a member and less so if you're not (please let me know if this isn't the case, it's probably my depression having a go at me!! :lol: ). However I also realise there is a need for organising things and H&S seems to rule and ruin a lot of things that should be simple. Anyway, apologies where necessary. I will never knock IPMS for nothing (or at all), but I just like everyone to be welcome regardless.
Whilst I am not a member of IPMS, this sounds very much like one of the 'let's use Health & Safety' to justify a decision that might be unpopular; whether it is the venue or the IPMS that has decided to limit numbers is obviously open to question.
Think about this logically; the venue is designed and (to the best of my knowledge) operates successfully as a conference/exhibition venue, used to managing considerable numbers of people on a daily basis. Why then all of a sudden are the limited numbers of people usually (and apparently historically) involved in setting up the respective club tables and displays a safety (or health) risk?
I would suggest that this is more likely a security issue raised by the venue, or a move by IPMS to restrict pre-show entry to as few as possible to reduce 'unfair' access to traders/under-table sales etc or just plain increase the number that pay to get in on the day(s).
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm of the opinion that this is a genuine H+S concern in that the venue will no longer be responsible for people setting up shows and this now falls to the IPMS who are wary of taking risks. However, I do feel that there is some element of elitism being enforced and that this is being used to justify it.

My view is that all SIG members should be allowed in for the set up and I'm particularly galled that non -IPMS SIG members have to wait an extra hour before being allowed in to the venue on Saturday and Sunday. If you contribute to a SIG or club you should have the right to be there as part of that group.

Finally, I just want to say that I have no issues with Cold War SIG members not being in the IPMS. It's a personal choice and it shouldn't bar you from joining in at shows. At any other show it's not a problem, just SMW. At all other shows we attend everybody is welcome to join in fully.

So, if you'd like to volunteer....... ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Okay matey, sounds like a lot of places are protecting themselves and the staff these days. No problems with that. I'd volunteer if the show is close to Cambs or reachable by train or bus (and isn't too high a fare!!). :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

ISTR the H&S card has been played over the last few years to restrict access. I can understand that the Committee want to keep tight tabs on who is admitted for set up, but their approach is outmoded for these internet days. While many Branches still have a physical presence it is easier for them to coordinate exhibits among a small group of representatives. This is not the case with internet based SIGs where the logistics are a nightmare. There's no simple, easy solution; but there must be a more accommodating one.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

For the past 6 years that I have attended it has always been the case that the only people meant to be in the halls on the Friday were those who are involved in setup, and that those people should be IPMS members. Likewise the 9am entry on both days is a "perk" for the members, like the free-entry for the weekend is, its just a benefit of your annual membership fee.

At any other model show around the country, anyone who is a member of a local club or special interest type group can just turn up and play. There are issues with insurance etc surrounding any club or sig having a display at any show now; and the clubs and sigs which are ipms affiliated, and where the members do each have ipms membership, those members are covered if there is an issue, such as a table collapses, or someone of the public has an accident and catches a table and falls on a model or a model falls off or somesuch; but it is only the members who are the valid ipms members that can call on that insurance if needed.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
fredk

Post by fredk »

I fully endorse and understand why the new ruling has been made.
Its not H&S per se its the mis-use of it and petty legal action for minor incidents which has brought this about
I can tell you of an incident here which would have escalated if it hadn't been pointed out that the offender was in breach of clearly posted 'set-up' rules.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Whether we like the set up changes or not we're stuck with them so let's make the best of things and not let it mar the weekend.

Just 2 weeks to go 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Dazzled wrote:so let's make the best of things and not let it mar the weekend.
Indeed - it is what it is, and I understand that IPMS will monitor how this works to make adjustments in future if necessary. Our 3 SIGs appear to have worked out how this is going to work this year and, ultimately, that's the most important thing at the moment.

2 WEEKS! Cripes - I need to get a move on..... :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Reading this Daz Il have to bring my models in through the main gate with me once the main gates open and Il have to be packed and ready by 4 as I'm no longer a member.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm afraid it looks that way Mav. :sad:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

One week left for me till I have to head to the dock to catch a ship.

Do ya think 25lb line will be strong enuff?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fredk wrote:One week left for me till I have to head to the dock to catch a ship.

Do ya think 25lb line will be strong enuff?
Maybe a 26? ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”