For SWM 2017 theme : Korean War Chinese Howitzer 1/35 scale

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

For SWM 2017 theme : Korean War Chinese Howitzer 1/35 scale

Post by chrism »

In an annual effort to build something for a number of tables/SIGS and having no idea of what was needed/wanted for this one for 2017, I took the easy option and gave Daz money and a simple remit: go off and buy something that you want on the table at SMW in 2017, and just make sure it isn't a plane, and then I will build it and if its 1:72 ish scale I may keep it, but if it is bigger; it will, like the US carrier this year, be brought along to Telford or any other earlier show once finished and handed over to you. I did also hint that I fancied something armour-ish rather than a boat this time:

So he returns with this

and some change from the money I gave him. I then spent that change on the set of figures which with a little adaption should (according to TomW) be fine, and will mean I can have a commander type one poking out top and do something else with a couple of others... ;-)

(if this needs moving into a specific 2017 show folder? someone probably ought to do so once one gets made.)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
chrism

Re: For SWM 2017 theme : Korean War Chinese Howitzer 1/35 s

Post by chrism »

a bit of internet oogling and I have some ideas for something to do with it, and an idea of what I am trying to replicate in assembling kit. This is when modelling can (and it will with this) be fun and pleasantly challenging.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm glad you're happy with what I found Chris :)

I shall start a 2017 SMW build thread asap.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Nice find Chris and good hunting Daz!
Looking forward to seeing this built and displayed at SMW17!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Whilst having a secondary fondle before I shelve items onto my modelling den racking, I decided to open the box of figures... parts for 4 of the supposed 6 in the box are AWOL. An email has been fired off to Ian at Heritage/Kits for Cash. I will wait and see what he comes back and says. He claims on his web-site that he checks all kits! :twisted:

(it really was my year for bad luck this year with preorders and other stuff. However, Hannants are due fair credit and kudos, as one call on Monday and the 5 missing items (over £50 value from a £220+ order (a good half of which is not for me - a club-mate and I combined as I was at SMW) ) all arrived in the mail Tuesday morning.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Jeez Chris that sounds so unlucky!
Atleast Hannants sorted your order out, £220! I only spend just over £50 and got 18 full kits!
Shows the value of aftermarket parts!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Maverick231 wrote:Jeez Chris that sounds so unlucky!
Atleast Hannants sorted your order out, £220! I only spend just over £50 and got 18 full kits!
Shows the value of aftermarket parts!
I had to collect over a dozen pots of their paint for my mate which accounted for over £50; and I had half a dozen CMK sets of resin figures at £7 a go, which quickly add up, then with a couple kits, plus decal sheets, and both Eduard and Aber aftermarket are not cheap ... which helped push the total up.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Yes it sure sounds like you got a good haul mate and why the heck not :D.
If I could have got anything else I's have bought a 1/72 Tornado Update Set https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VL0517;
I think I can honestly I personally think it was the best model show I've ever been to.
Thanks again everyone I can't wait till the next one!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Ian at Heritage was very good. Once I had sent a couple photos through to show his price ticket on box and the contents which were missing he arranged a refund which I now have. So just need to source a couple figures again... plenty time and shows etc to sort that out.
chrism

Post by chrism »

I can now report that this is in progress. Thought I ought to make a start, as I foresee a long and interesting stage with assembling and fitting the tracks in my future.

Stages 1 and 2 have been assembled tonight. The plastic is quite soft on some parts, while the attachment points on such parts are large and thick. I am taking care as best I can getting bits off the sprue and trimming attachment points back, but a couple of cover caps have suffered; I am sure that once undercoat painted a bit of tippex etc or thin filler will as always work wonders on any worrying areas.

There are a couple of other pieces I shall add and then it is painting for the lower hull. Mr Hobby /Aqueous Hobby 309 (Dk green) or 66/19 (drab brown type colour from colour chart) are suggested. I shall be going for a green - either revell 68 or 65 which are two different greens I regularly use on armour. If anyone with more experience reading this suggests some other Revell Aqua shade for this 1951 Chinese artillery regiment... do speak up please
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Nice to see this under way Chris. I shall do a little research into Chinese armour colours. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Dazzled wrote:Nice to see this under way Chris. I shall do a little research into Chinese armour colours. 8-)

Green, Revell R65/ R68 is still the way I think to go with this, unless anything more apt and appropriate should be used. I will probably be at the point of trying to get a coat or two on it over this weekend.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:
Dazzled wrote:Nice to see this under way Chris. I shall do a little research into Chinese armour colours. 8-)

Green, Revell R65/ R68 is still the way I think to go with this, unless anything more apt and appropriate should be used. I will probably be at the point of trying to get a coat or two on it over this weekend.

Sorry Chris. Fact is I plain forgot about this. :oops:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

It's been Christmas and with littlun arriving modelling took a back seat ...

If you have more accurate info to contradict my thoughts of the revell green .. I will hold off to give you a slug of time ... But I'm juggling builds for more clubs and Sigs than is good for me
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Having a serious illness didn't help either :cry:

However...A good colour for Soviet armour of this period is Tamiya XF-61 (Dark Green). This is equivalent to Revell 32165 (Bronze Green) or Humbrol 161.

Hope this helps. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”