2018 and Onwards

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

2018 and Onwards

Post by Dazzled »

I've been thinking lately about future themes for the SIG to adopt over coming displays at SMW. Personally, I'm hoping to stay as SIG leader for as long as work and personal circumstances will allow. With this in mind I'd like to make some provisional plans for SMW's, and perhaps other shows, for the next few years. As I'm sure you're all aware it takes a lot of models to fill a 12' x 8' table so it's mostly a case of "forewarned is forearmed".

As I see it, and after discussions with some of you at shows, there is more than one route we can go down for the next few themes.

For 2017 we are covering the early period of the Cold War, 1947 to 1962, and we could go on with this for 2018 and 2019 by using period 2 (1963 to 1976) and period 3 (1977 to 1991) sequentially. Of course the exact years could be open to change as per the member's wishes. This is neatly predictable and allows us to accumulate stashes as appropriate or, indeed, earmark ready constructed models for display.

Another suggestion for next year is to celebrate the RAF's contribution to the Cold War to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the service. This may be a little limiting though as we would have little apart from aircraft and ground equipment as potential subjects.

A further suggestion, and one discussed at length by a few of us, is an "attack from the sea" theme. This basically involves constructing two 1/350th scale naval battle groups, one soviet and one US (ambitious eh?) plus any other naval vessels relevant to the subject. If you add in carrier-borne and maritime patrol aircraft plus assault vehicles, there is quite a diverse potential in this theme. Given the complexity of this theme I thought I'd get it out there now as it'll require a fair bit of lead time to get done.

We could put any future theme on hold until we have exhausted the time periods idea or intersperse these with the other themes, or any you'd like to suggest.

So, what do you all think? Are there any other suggestions?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
planecrazyman61

Re: 2018 and Onwards

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi daryl my preferred option is the continuation of the cold war timeline (1962 -197?),i have plenty in the stash for this period and can build a few more for 2018,it's an interesting period with a bigger is better approach to aircraft design means we should able to fill the table with no trouble ,there were also some interesting developments with armour during this period
cheers craig
chrism

Post by chrism »

Whatever way things go ... I am happy to continue to commit to helping you ... like I have past 2 years by committing circa £25 a year to you, for a kit or kits and will build whatever you in turn nominate as suitable and needed. My only two caveats for my contributions: one is not a plane.. and two: that whatever it is, you may have to then keep charge of thereafter.

If you went for the naval idea, are enough kits of the vessels needed, and other associated models and bits and pieces available easily? or would you have to mix scales and go for forced perspective type thing for overall idea. my other concern would be: have you enough people building or prepared to commit to carry this off.. plus you have to get any background set type material built and face some cost in doing so, plus when you arrive on-site and only have 3-4 passes for getting people in to help set it up unless you have it all made and mocked up at home and a very understanding wife au-fait with it all first to be second in command for re-assembly.... (If you do go this route I could consider an increase in my annual outlay for suitable ships and or but I would need to have a good long lead time on building items as I have a fair few tables/sigs asking for a model or 3 and I like to offer everyone something each year, and a bit more every-so-often...

BTW: 12 x 4 is standard Telford allocation of 4-tables
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Hey Daz I too would prefer the part 2 and 3 option.
Attack from the sea I'd have nothing to contribute with at all.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Has there been any more thought into the 2018 theme yet?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Absolutely. There won't be a theme. Thinking about it we already build to a theme. That is, after all, the purpose of a SIG; to build to it's theme.

There are a lot of advantages to this line of thinking, not least of which is that we will always have something to display from pre-built kits.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

That's actually a really good idea!
See this is exactly the reason your SIG leader now Daz as apposed to me :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Guys

I hope you don’t mind me commenting as I’m not part of your excellent SIG.

With reference to your display, I’m about to finish two 1/72 scale T-55’s would they be any use to you?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Absolutely Alan. We have a superb display of small scale armour built by Kitaholic and a couple of T-55s would be welcome addditions. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Daz

I can send you any of these but I think the Challenger 1 is a bit too late for your time period.

PM me what you want and your address and I will get them in the post.

Regards Splash
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks Splash. PM sent.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dazzled wrote:Thanks Splash. PM sent.
Got it and will stick them in the post.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just want to say a big thank you for the tanks Alan. They looked great on the display 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”