Marky's Lusty Lady! ***Off to sea***

Ships of the Royal Navy from Henry VIII (1510) to 2016, including the "Sister Navies" RAN, RCN, RNZN, etc. Any kit, any scale.
GB runs 4 June - 17 July, and your host is Paul Bradley.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Marky's Lusty Lady!

Post by AndrewR »

Yes, I believe that the Revell kit is a rebox of the Dragon kit.
Up in the Great White North
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

I have to admit I don't know. Had a quick look on Scalemates and it doesn't seem to say so. Might be wrong. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MarkyM607 wrote:I have to admit I don't know. Had a quick look on Scalemates and it doesn't seem to say so. Might be wrong. :grin:
I was going by this review:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/ ... ahrill.htm;
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Fair enough. I admit I don't know. Anyway, here's the bigger version so far. Hey Chrism, don't do what I did and put the funnels on facing the wrong way!. Managed to prise them off without too much damage and they are now facing the right way!.
Lots of small bits added to the island/superstructure...

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just out of curiosity to anyone with knowledge, I am also building HMS Warspite alongside the Illustrious (May have mentioned or shown it). I'm thinking the upper hull/superstructure is too dark a grey, the instructions say Humbrol 123 but the model looks very dark to me. Should I repaint her?.

chrism

Post by chrism »

You look like you got an am amazing large workspace. Very nice. (and a lot of stuff on the go!)

As for Warspite paint colours, I have just dug out my airfix instructions: In the latest issue in red box 3-4 year ago, they had 2 paint schemes:
1940 scheme - use H103, 78 73 and 64
they also give a camo scheme for the 1944 D-day landings which uses 106, 103, 78, 73 and 64.
if you want more info or the paint scheme details etc for either of these I can send you a link to them online to grab.

Good to see your progress on Lusty. I've not got onto upstairs yet - I am still struggling with the bottom. Hopefully get some time end of week to get back to mine
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

chrism wrote:You look like you got an am amazing large workspace. Very nice. (and a lot of stuff on the go!)

As for Warspite paint colours, I have just dug out my airfix instructions: In the latest issue in red box 3-4 year ago, they had 2 paint schemes:
1940 scheme - use H103, 78 73 and 64
they also give a camo scheme for the 1944 D-day landings which uses 106, 103, 78, 73 and 64.
if you want more info or the paint scheme details etc for either of these I can send you a link to them online to grab.

Good to see your progress on Lusty. I've not got onto upstairs yet - I am still struggling with the bottom. Hopefully get some time end of week to get back to mine
Thanks Chris. I'll see how those colours look later, although my kit is the 1915 version I'm sure they will do. I did also have to re-glue the right side of Lusty's hull at the back. It doesn't seem to have a big 'ledge' for the deck to sit on.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I will check my resources when I get home to see what colour Warspite should be as I need it for my build.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I checked my "The Battleship HMS Warspite" book and guess what it shows 3 view colour drawings of her in all her different colours but the only one without a colour description is 1915 :shock:

Looking at the other pictures it looks like light grey on all sides with wooden main deck and stern deck with dark grey on all first level decks with light grey on the decks above.

I think I need to do more research before I start painting mine.

Regards Splash
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Wasn't the world black and white in 1915? :ha:

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Wasn't the world black and white in 1915? :ha:

Nigel
Well yes, but it was various shades of black and white!. And grey. About fifty I think!. :ha:

Sounds about right Splash, it having no 1915!!!, thanks for looking anyway. I tried Humbrol 106 as Chrism stated and it looks so much better than 123. I think I'll stick with that, although I might re-do the deck as it says Humbrol 9 which also looks darker than I think it should!.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Ships decks got scrubbed every day with soap and salt water and tended to go quite light in colour plus it got bleached by the sun.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Holystoning!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:I checked my "The Battleship HMS Warspite" book and guess what it shows 3 view colour drawings of her in all her different colours but the only one without a colour description is 1915 :shock:

Looking at the other pictures it looks like light grey on all sides with wooden main deck and stern deck with dark grey on all first level decks with light grey on the decks above.

Regards Splash
Some of the upper decks might have been corticene - a brown non-slip material. Used where the weight of a wooden deck was too great. Hood has some bridge decks finished like that.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

AndrewR wrote:
splash wrote:I checked my "The Battleship HMS Warspite" book and guess what it shows 3 view colour drawings of her in all her different colours but the only one without a colour description is 1915 :shock:

Regards Splash
Some of the upper decks might have been corticene - a brown non-slip material. Used where the weight of a wooden deck was too great. Hood has some bridge decks finished like that.
That's handy, I have a bottle of Corticene in my HATAKA RN Warship paint set. :-D

Return to “In the Navy - Royal Navy Ships”