Chris tames illustrious aircraft carrier - NOW SAILING

Ships of the Royal Navy from Henry VIII (1510) to 2016, including the "Sister Navies" RAN, RCN, RNZN, etc. Any kit, any scale.
GB runs 4 June - 17 July, and your host is Paul Bradley.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Chris tames illustrious aircraft carrier - NOW SAILING

Post by chrism »

I am now in possession of most parts from an early-ish boxing of the Airfix 1:350 carrier Illustrious.

It has been a long time since I have played with a boat in the bath, but that honestly was the only place big enough to attempt washing the sprues. Everything is now drying nicely on an old towel, and I shall hopefully try and cast off and get under way tomorrow.

I did take a photo but camera has died and is now on recharge, so that will have to wait.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
MarkyM607

Re: Chris tames a very invincible illustrious aircraft carri

Post by MarkyM607 »

chrism wrote:I am now in possession of most parts from an early-ish boxing of the Airfix 1:350 carrier Illustrious.

It has been a long time since I have played with a boat in the bath, but that honestly was the only place big enough to attempt washing the sprues. Everything is now drying nicely on an old towel, and I shall hopefully try and cast off and get under way tomorrow.

I did take a photo but camera has died and is now on recharge, so that will have to wait.
Look, I told you to go find your own subject. Don't make me come down there (wherever you are!!) :ha: :ha: :ha:
(Only joking Chris!!!) :lol: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Moving on then... The sprues are quite large as Mark has already alluded, and once a few parts come off these 3 large ones get depleted quite quickly.

This photo shows sprue 4 and the aircraft sprues, which I was not given for this build, but have taken out of my other boxing
of the ship, as I shall need a set of aircraft for the deck, plus I need to see what bits are missing off sprue 4 and how to cobble my around them....

I set sail early this morning and was surprised at just how quickly it grew. Later today, I realised I made my first GB error and forgot to take too many photos,

There are some nice little detailed parts like these inflatables (they supply 2 each in two sizes!) but once the sides go on they will mostly be hidden

However this is where I am at 8pm tonight. It has all gone together far too easily so far, and I am expecting trouble soon as I have been warned the sides are a pain to get joined together neatly and filler will be my friend.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Good start, Chris!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie

Post by iggie »

Gosh that seems to have flown together :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Do you get the choice of having the lifts Up/Down & Halfway?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
chrism

Post by chrism »

It did just fall together yesterday and being a warm day the acrylic paint was dry in 10 minutes so an hour and I had loads parts painted twice and in place ...

This morning it is turning into a fist fight getting other side and lower hull together.

Pictures and more progress tonight.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Splash - yes you get 3 positions to put the lift spacers in - fully down, half and three quarters up - and if you want it closed up there is a different filler piece to fix under the deck
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

chrism wrote:Splash - yes you get 3 positions to put the lift spacers in - fully down, half and three quarters up - and if you want it closed up there is a different filler piece to fix under the deck
That's a nice touch by Airfix, looking at your photos I can see Airfix have even supplied the scissor link lift gear below the lift deck.

The lift mechanism's on those ships was a clever piece of design, from what I recall the whole mechanism fitted into an area the same size as the lift deck and was only about 10 feet deep. The only trouble was it was prone to failure during heavy seas.
iggie

Post by iggie »

splash wrote:The lift mechanism's on those ships was a clever piece of design, from what I recall the whole mechanism fitted into an area the same size as the lift deck and was only about 10 feet deep. The only trouble was it was prone to failure during heavy seas.
You mean you want clever and working? :shock: :shock: :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

I have taken a quick photo of the lift pieces that come in the kit so you can both see what they give you and how it links together

As for progress today, having got the two sides in place and added the lower hull piece I now have a few rounds of sand and fill to get rid of a nasty seam and hopefully fill a hollow warp like void on each side which does not show in the photos as bad as it actually is:

Whilst I am waiting for filler and sanding stages to dry/set on the hull I will try over next couple days to make a start on painting the deck. I will be limited to an hour in the evenings for the rest of the week so progress will slow up a bit.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Great Scott - she's almost done already! Steady on, Chris - this isn't a Blitz! :lol:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I like all the detail on the lifts and the hanger walls, I see they have included the storage racks that ran along the sides of the hanger.

This raises the question, why does Airfix go to the trouble of adding all the detail that will never be seen?

If they missed out the unseen detail would it make their kits easier to build?

I have a cunning plan, If we all leave lots of questions on this thread it might slow Chris down so we can all catch up :-D
chrism

Post by chrism »

splash wrote:I have a cunning plan, If we all leave lots of questions on this thread it might slow Chris down so we can all catch up :-D
Airfix have provided a nice way of slowing me up - giving me a hull which despite a couple of fill, sand and paint cycles already is showing no sign of sorting itself out... so I could be stuck here treading water for a few days yet I fear.

In that photo there is a dark stripe just above the front stand support you can see and which extends further back that in reality is a concave dip and will need quite a few more rounds of filler and sand/paint cycles to sort out. I've got them on both sides.

I am also suffering from household chores which are going to keep me occupied for a while too.... more progress at the weekend I hope
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It was a fair size slab of plastic for Airfix to mould.

Return to “In the Navy - Royal Navy Ships”