Marky's Corsair *** FULL-TIME!!***

A single-type GB for the F4U Corsair, any kit, any scale, any markings.
GB runs 4 June to 3 July and your host is Lancfan.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Corsair *** FULL-TIME!!***

Post by MarkyM607 »

Here is my entry. Probably from the box decal choice, one is WWII the other is Korea. Might do the latter for a change from WWII!.

Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Re: Marky's Corsair

Post by MarkyM607 »

I have been and bought another Corsair!, this one from my local department store that is having a closing down sale. Only reduced by about £1-70 but only cost just over a fiver, so I grabbed it. It was meant to replace the one above which is a tiny bit started but I then had the okay to build the above. Now I'm thinking Soccer War Corsairs, although I don't know for sure that I have the right versions, the subject is something I've always found interesting and have discovered the war's causes were more than just trouble at a football match.
Therefore I will try and convert these is needed to Honduran and El Salvadorean F4U's. Keep you posted!!. :grin:

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Got so work done on this, didn't take long at all like Andrew said.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Blimey, Blink and you miss it! :-D

Nice blue, what did you use? Revell says 'Lufthansa Blue' but I'm going with 'Blue' as it's all I have in stock :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Marky is getting ready for the August Blitzbau. LOL
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
fredk

Post by fredk »

BMW Navy Blue is a good dark blue for GSB, just not grey enough, but it looks good.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Blimey, Blink and you miss it! :-D

Nice blue, what did you use? Revell says 'Lufthansa Blue' but I'm going with 'Blue' as it's all I have in stock :-D
Ummm, actually that's unpainted plastic!!. :lol:
jssel wrote:Marky is getting ready for the August Blitzbau. LOL
Now I've done one I'll be up for another no doubt :grin: . Unless I'm buried under GB again!!.
fredk wrote:BMW Navy Blue is a good dark blue for GSB, just not grey enough, but it looks good.
I'll try and go with the instructions on this but considering it's Revell it'll probabaly be 60% of this and 40% of that. Tish tosh to that, I'll see what I have Humbrol wise! :grin:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

fredk wrote:BMW Navy Blue is a good dark blue for GSB, just not grey enough, but it looks good.
Testors Modelmaster and Soverign Colourcoats has the correct shades and you are in a better position for getting colourcoats.

Colourcoats:ACUS07 - WW2 USN Sea Blue (FS25042)
Testors: Acrylic Gloss Dark Sea Blue FS15042 and 4686 Dark Sea Blue FS15042 1/2 oz (enamel)

I am using the Testors on my FG-1D and F4U-4B
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps for the paint ideas. Not gotten much done on this one due to being more obsessed with a certain amorous lady (the Illustrious I mean, I'm not that good with the ladies!!! :shock: ). As the Islander in the Lesser Countries GB broke it's nose wheel I'm going to make the uc for this one separately and put them on at the end!. Put the engine cowling on today, will paint her later.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I've painted her Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue, might not be 100% but I'm trying to match the dark blue of Honduran Corsairs!. I've also started my other Corsair, also by Revell, which is an F4U-1A and is intended to be the other side of the Football War, that is El Salvador. Although the ,majority of pictures show Salvadorian Corsairs from the time on a three colour camo, I've always wanted to do the grey with blue/yellow trim scheme seen in my colour markings and profiles book so that is what I am going with!.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:I've painted her Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue, might not be 100% but I'm trying to match the dark blue of Honduran Corsairs!. I've also started my other Corsair, also by Revell, which is an F4U-1A and is intended to be the other side of the Football War, that is El Salvador. Although the ,majority of pictures show Salvadorian Corsairs from the time on a three colour camo, I've always wanted to do the grey with blue/yellow trim scheme seen in my colour markings and profiles book so that is what I am going with!.
You know DP casper has a nice decal sheet covering the Soccer War of 1969? It is #72019 and has markings for 5 Salvadoran FG-1Ds, 2 Honduran F4U-5s, 4 Salvadoran P-51Ds, 2 Honduran T-28s and 3 Salvadoran T-6s. Aviation Megastore.com (http://www.aviationmegastore.com/forgot ... art=110037;) has it in stock. Take a look, it's worth getting for the variety.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I've painted her Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue, might not be 100% but I'm trying to match the dark blue of Honduran Corsairs!. I've also started my other Corsair, also by Revell, which is an F4U-1A and is intended to be the other side of the Football War, that is El Salvador. Although the ,majority of pictures show Salvadorian Corsairs from the time on a three colour camo, I've always wanted to do the grey with blue/yellow trim scheme seen in my colour markings and profiles book so that is what I am going with!.
You know DP casper has a nice decal sheet covering the Soccer War of 1969? It is #72019 and has markings for 5 Salvadoran FG-1Ds, 2 Honduran F4U-5s, 4 Salvadoran P-51Ds, 2 Honduran T-28s and 3 Salvadoran T-6s. Aviation Megastore.com (http://www.aviationmegastore.com/forgot ... art=110037;) has it in stock. Take a look, it's worth getting for the variety.
Thanks for that chuck. I'm really tempted to get something like that but money concerns mean I'm even reluctant to spend that much!!. Although I do have some kits for sale soon so that might help if I can shift them.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Yeah that is almost 25 Canuck bucks too. But that's pretty good bang for buck considering how many sets you get. I am kinda tempted myself.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Yeah that is almost 25 Canuck bucks too. But that's pretty good bang for buck considering how many sets you get. I am kinda tempted myself.
I have their Munich Crisis sheet and so have used it on a He-111e, He-70f, AR-68e, D-500, and D-510. That's six aircraft so far from one sheet and I am still not done with it.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

A good rule of thumb is that anything flown by the US Navy from 1945 until the mid 1950s will be overall glossy sea blue. The Honduran Corsairs came from US Navy stocks and were painted in the same glossy sea blue as the US aircraft.

Return to “The "Bent Wing Bird" - F4U Corsair GB”