Wingnuts 1/32 AMC DH-9 ** DNF -> A/C Forum **

A *leisurely" large scale (1/35 or larger) wingie-thingie (airplanes, sci-fi, real space, whiff) GB for any type kit (styrene, resin, vacform, wood, card) and markings.
The GB runs 30th Jul -30th Oct and your host is jRatz.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Wingnuts 1/32 AMC DH-9 ** DNF -> A/C Forum **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I know it is an odd choice given it was not successful, but the DH.9 has actually symbolized WW1 aviation for me since the late-50's. Long story short, I got this 1954 book a few years after it was published and have hauled it with me everywhere. The cover art is burnt in my mind and if WW1 aviation is mentioned, this is what pops into it.

So, it's time -- for the LSP GB, I'll build the Wingnuts 1/32 AMC DH-9.

Here are the sprues, we'll see more of them as we go:

Here are the decals; the 2nd sheet has a lot of white stripes and such and is hard to see:

Here is the photoetch, the small sheet. The rest is some aftermarket detail:

Here one page from the instructions; very readable, very detailed, lots of helpful photos:

Here are two more references; the first is very helpful for rigging:

And, I found this on the net somewhere -- a colorized clone of the cover art on my book:

I'll have more discussion as we run up to the start gate, but right now I'm going to spend several days with the instruction book. In my one other WNW build, the RNAS Pup, I found the instructions to be very good, but that in some places, especially the cockpit, some assembly and paint instructions might be separated by 2-3 pages and it is best to find all that ahead of time.

I also need to make a couple option decisions. I am not going to emulate the box art. For one, it has no visible bomb load -- it could be on a recon or photo run or it could just be carrying the internal bomb load, but that was rarely done. Second, the radiator is extended, but as it is in flight I think it should be partially retracted. And last, there are no markings.

I also need to study the main components and rigging. I have a set of RB Productions 1/32 PE RAF Wires - I used them before and they do sorts look like RAF wires but they also have their own challenges. My other option is to simply go pure EZ-line / monofilament -- and I have some 1/32 Bob's Buckles for that -- or I could just do lines & holes and skip all the fancy stuff. Whatever, a plan is needed so I can pre-drill.

And last, a major goal is to build on what I attempted and achieved (or not) with emulating the look of ribs under fabric. This has an impact on both assembly and rigging and decaling - it gets very complicated.

Looking forward to it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Wingnuts 1/32 AMC DH-9

Post by iggie »

I shall be looking in on this build carefully as I now have two WNW kits but am a little intimidated to be honest by the instructions mainly; too much to feel like tackling one for this GB but that may change as your build progresses!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Like iggie I too have some WNW kits(14 I think) and am a bit intimidated by them so will enjoy this build immensely.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

WNW kits are engineered for the modeler to succeed, much like the new-tool Airfix are -- but there a couple things to watch for.

First is very tight engineering/fit -- but it's no different than the new-tool Airfix, so we are used to it. When WNW first came on the market, that wasn't necessarily the case. It mostly means test-fitting and watching paint thickness, especially where it cannot be seen, such as on the outer side of the interior.

Second, alignment is engineered in -- follow the instructions and it will not be a case of needing several hands to manage everything. This good engineering/fit means, like with Airfix, that parts go into the right place at the right angle and are many times self-supporting. A lot different than having a fuselage, two wings, and a dozen struts all wanting to go their own way.

The instructions are imposing not because of complexity but because of the amount of information provided. Every part is labeled, in most every view. Every paint color is called, again in multiple views. Photos of period or museum aircraft are interspersed to show the detail. It's all there, but packed in rather tightly with multiple parts per step. Thee are glossy color magazines and expensive, Airfix can do a-part-a-step black-white plain paper - that would be prohibitive for WNW.

The warning is to read them carefully several times, and with note paper to hand. While the steps are sequential, it doesn't mean that is the best sequence -- assembly & painting of the interior is the best example. Also the interior is assembled then the bracing wires and control cables are shown -- but it may be better adding them earlier.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Like a 1/700 ship with full PE these are full on modelling projects and are something to really get your teeth into. At some point I would like to have a go at one myself.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Ditto, James. I'm not in a happy place with my modelling at the moment, but when I am, I have a WNW Snipe to look forward to. I shall be joining the rest of you in the box seats for this build.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I've decided not to do any specific squadron/aircraft, and have been studying the instructions and Windsock 72.

The kit has options for a wireless, a camera, and bombs. I am assuming it wouldn't carry all 3 -- that is the wireless would be for arty-spotting, the camera for recon, and the bombs for well you know. I am leaning to an aircraft carrying bombs also having a camera.

I think have sorted the bomb options and will ignore the internal rack. I am thinking of either a "low load" of 4x25 on each wing and 2x112 under the fuselage or a "high load" of 1x112 on each wing and either 2x112 or 1x230 under the fuselage. The "high load" would be max but I do not have to clear the trees at the end of the strip or fly it to altitude.

After several passes through the instructions/options, they are pretty good (WNW does have a small errata sheet online), with the only "issue" being the gunner's control column A12. On page 1 you may either leave it on the control assembly or cut it off as if stowed, but it isn't until page 7 (and 5) that you find out there is a separate part B24 for the stowed column and where it goes. I think they leave these things around as "Easter Eggs" :)

Next is to select paints.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I did a re-look of the instructions and have decided to start with small assemblies, to wit:
-- engine
-- Vickers gun
-- Lewis gun & mount
-- bombs & racks

I have collected a number of metal-ish paints.

OTOH, I have a problem - it seems that, unbeknownst to me:
-- my stash of Mister Kit acrylics has dwindled to low single digits
-- I cannot find where they are
-- and I'm not sure that range is available any more

This is not how I intended to start ...
iggie

Post by iggie »

jRatz wrote:I did a re-look of the instructions and have decided to start with small assemblies, to wit:
-- engine
-- Vickers gun
-- Lewis gun & mount
-- bombs & racks

But that aside, all is going well so far...... :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

jRatz wrote:I did a re-look of the instructions and have decided to start with small assemblies, to wit:
-- engine
-- Vickers gun
-- Lewis gun & mount
-- bombs & racks

John I use Albion Alloys this side of the pond for Misterkit and I've also used AKAN paints
This may be of help to you
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKAN-47007-Pa ... 1364998616;
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Toby, it's worse than I thought in that once found they were useless.
The USA Misterkit is gone. I did find the source, Italian Misterkit. And I also saw Albion Alloys but didn't look closely..

I had thought about using Tamiya mixes.

But that AKAN paint set looks very interesting and I might give them a shot.

I'll be at the IPMS/USA Nationals next week and have a growing list of paints to look for before I do any online orders.
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

Second, alignment is engineered in -- follow the instructions and it will not be a case of needing several hands to manage everything. This good engineering/fit means, like with Airfix, that parts go into the right place at the right angle and are many times self-supporting. A lot different than having a fuselage, two wings, and a dozen struts all wanting to go their own way.
I know that feeling got an Edward Gloster Gladiator that's giving me grief at the moment! :roll: :cry:
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
I love the smell of avgas in the morning!
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Starting slow, lots of time .... and I won't be around most of the week - IPMS/USA Nationals.

Anyway, I built the Vickers gun. I have the HGW RFC Weapons PE set and used their barrel cover and cocking lever rather than the kit PE.

Next the Lewis gun ... and remember the macro setting on my camera ....
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Nice work so far John. I had a call from Albion Alloys re the paint I've ordered and they tell me that they will no longer be restocking Misterkit paints. I ordered some more just in case. I ordered new Vickers and Lewis guns from Gaspatch for my Nieuport as the ones that come with the kit or ok they're not accurate.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

TobyC wrote:I had a call from Albion Alloys re the paint I've ordered and they tell me that they will no longer be restocking Misterkit paints. I ordered some more just in case
You could also order them from their own webshop, http://www.misterkit.com;. They should stock 'em pretty much as long as the brand exists..

Return to “Large Scale Planes GB”