Beanys 1/24th Airfix Hurricane that thinks its a Fokker DVII

A *leisurely" large scale (1/35 or larger) wingie-thingie (airplanes, sci-fi, real space, whiff) GB for any type kit (styrene, resin, vacform, wood, card) and markings.
The GB runs 30th Jul -30th Oct and your host is jRatz.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beanys 1/24th Airfix Hurricane that thinks its a Fokker DVII

Post by beany »

I have been wanting to do this project for months now and was suddenly overcome with the inspiration
to have a bash at it today.
I got the kit for £25.00 and to be honest it is not the best molding of it I've ever seen (I've made this kit
at least twice before many many years ago), every part has flashy seam lines that need filing down.

The kit is the gift set with paints, brushes and glue, all of which come in useful but the paints won't be
used on this build.

The build, or rather the colour scheme it will be finished in, is inspired by the dinky little Revell 1/72 Fokker DVII kit.
I like the red, white and blue colour scheme and believe it will sit nicely on the Hurricane. I have also used a
Clavework Graphics image of a Hurricane in a similar WWI German scheme but won't show that here as it is
copyright and I don't have permission to use it.

One of the things I like about the Revell kit is that it give you a black and white template decal for all of the
under surfaces onto which you have to paint your own German WWI lozenge type fabric camouflage. I scanned
these decals and enlarged them to print onto clear decal paper which I will then apply to the Hurricane under-wings
areas, and then have to hand paint all of the lozenges :shock:
You can see some of the sections I've printed, sprayed with Gloss sealant and cut out in this photo (and the one
above).
White primer has been sprayed on some of the larger parts in this picture also, ready for the Gloss White later
in the appropriate areas.

Most of the day when I wasn't spraying was taken up gluing together as many bts as I could as I want this to be a
very quick build while the inspiration lasts.

Last job this evening was a quick spray of Tamiya rattle can Bright Red on nose and side panels. All marking will be
hand painted - the WWI German crosses shouldn't be too bad but the white winged unit marking will take some careful free-hand painting!

Not a bad start for the first day I reckon.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Beanys 1/24th Airfix Hurricane that thinks its a Fokker

Post by fredk »

If you've scanned the lozenge pattern, bring it into Microsoft Paint, then you can fill each of the sections with colour using one of the tools. Save it and printout through your usual method. In paint you make custom colours to suit as well as their regular ones.
You just need to make sure the separating line is solid, with no gaps, or the adjoining section will get filled too.
The coloured lozenge sections are borderless and you'll have a black line separator but you can change the line to a pale purple or pink which will match in better ~ again using one of Paint's tools.

Just an idea/thought.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I love this bold plan.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Agreed, this is rather special. You want to get one of those adult colouring book fans to do the lozenges for you.

I've got one of these stashed away, too, and I hate to tell you this, but I paid £19 for it at Hobbycraft a couple of years ago when they were having a sale. I didn't really want it, but you can't not at that price , can you?
Kevan Bailey
beany

Post by beany »

Started today with a bit of rattle can spraying in my "spray booth" I've built on to the back of my shed. Spraying the Gloss White today onto the previously applied White Primer. The interloper is the Aoshima Fireflash (Thunderbirds).
The White Primer in the photos is about to be used on the propeller blades which will be given a wood grained effect in keeping with a WWI tribute machine which is what this is intended to be.

Revell Aqua 45 Olive Grey is a good equivalent for RLM 02 used in Luftwaffe aircraft for most interior surfaces, so this been applied to many parts by brush.
What you see here is several hours work as every part has been meticuluosly cleaned up and had all seams scraped or filed off and all flash removed - and it got rather tedious to be perfectly honest!

I was desperate to apply some 'big' colour so hand painted Revell Enamel 56 Blue onto the main surfaces - no edges or lining done yet though.

Cheers
Al.
iggie

Post by iggie »

This keeps getting better and better!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Enchanting.....
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

When I first read the thread title, I thought you were building this:

:ha:
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
beany

Post by beany »

DazDaMan wrote:When I first read the thread title, I thought you were building this:
No chance mate - that thing just looks nasty!

Here is what I've done today - lots more cleaning up and removing seam lines.

The guns especially needed a lot of attention, not least because they would look ridiculous if you didn't give them somewhere for the bullets to come out!!
Before on the right, after on the left.

I thought we'd have a bit of copper as well - seemed a WWI German Airforce type of thing to do.

Guns all done.

I'm working away over the weekend so probably won't get much more done now before next week.
Cheers
Al.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Started like a ball of fire, is it still smoldering ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany

Post by beany »

A quick update - work is progressing steadily - a lot of time taken up cleaning seam lines - the moulds are well past their best obviously. I will post photos at the weekend.
beany

Post by beany »

The engine is nearly finished - exhausts need to be painted yet. I am going to attempt a wood grain effect on the prop blades with tube acrylics - I haven't done it before so am not sure if it will work - goodness knows what shade of brown I will end up with?!

Cheers
Al.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That's a very nice smooth looking wooden prop. A nice colour.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Both the engine and prop are looking really good!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Al and the wood effect on the prop is something else! I'm not wholly surprised that you are spending a lot of time cleaning up the parts, this oldie is rather past its sell-by date but, as is often the case with classic kits, can be turned into something rather nice with a bit of patience and TLC.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Large Scale Planes GB”