Beanys 1/24th Airfix Hurricane that thinks its a Fokker DVII

A *leisurely" large scale (1/35 or larger) wingie-thingie (airplanes, sci-fi, real space, whiff) GB for any type kit (styrene, resin, vacform, wood, card) and markings.
The GB runs 30th Jul -30th Oct and your host is jRatz.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Beanys 1/24th Airfix Hurricane that thinks its a Fokker

Post by MarkyM607 »

I'm doing their Spitfire Vb and it's much the same as you describe this in the starting post.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Well, considering what a lazy, half-arsed effort I made of the prop I think the wood effect is not bad. It was literally one coat of tube acrylic Yellow Ochre, then one of Burnt Sienna, then just sealed with Revell Clear Orange (enamel). I may add a gloss coat as well to bring the wood sheen up a bit. Obviously the metal work now needs touching up as well. For the props I used an old 10mm wide oil painting, stiff bristle brush and painted the acrylic on and then sort of painted it off again to get the streaking/wood grain effect.

I wan't a used metal rather than rusty exhaust, so just painted them Revell Aqua Steel and then stippled Matt Black onto them using a dry brush type of technique. It's all very experimental here but I've gotten lucky I reckon. If I stuff it right up I just start again. I don't bother to strip the paint because often in life machinery etc. has been over-painted during maintenance or to cover up other schemes (take a good look at some old preserved railway stock and you will see this).

Here is another Large Scale Plane build in progress on the bench, a Revell 1/32 P-39J Lightning (1992 boxing), but not for this GB as it had been started back in the early 90s. Hope to have it ready for the Revell SIG display at Farnborough this weekend (mounted on a pole being attacked by a Revell 1/32 A6M2 Zero).

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Cracking work on the prop, and the engine Al; they both look bang on to me!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Large Scale Planes GB”