Hasegawa 1/32 Bf-109 E ** FINISHED**

A *leisurely" large scale (1/35 or larger) wingie-thingie (airplanes, sci-fi, real space, whiff) GB for any type kit (styrene, resin, vacform, wood, card) and markings.
The GB runs 30th Jul -30th Oct and your host is jRatz.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Hasegawa 1/32 Bf-109 E ** FINISHED**

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

I'll build another 1/32 Aircraft but not sure what yet... Probably Hasegawa's Me-109E but I also have gotten hold of the New ish BF-109f Trop... Neither have arrived as yet..

I'll update the thread in due course..

Cheers

GF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Gadflys Second Big Bird 1/32

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Have they arrived yet ? I kind'a favor the F-trop ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Re: Gadflys Second Big Bird 1/32

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

The Emil has arrived and its of similar vintage to the Spitfire I did. But in a newer box but the decal sheet is nice E3'scans E4's battle of France to late BoB.

The F4 Trop hasn't arrived as yet. Like you I tend to favour this as its considered the best 109F in 32nd..

Fingers crossed it arrives in the next few days... Stuff from Japan generally takes about a week...

Thanks for the interest

Cheers
GF
Gadfly
Active Participant

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Bf-109 E

Post by Gadfly »

So a bit of progress with the 109E.

Firstly this kit is not as nice as the Spitfire I did previously. Hasegawa have given the kit a feature in the form of a removable cowling and a full engine. This is reasonably detailed for the vintage of the kit but the fit of everything is a bit dubious.. nothing that cannot be sorted out it just belies the approach kit companies took back then. Also Hasegawa have a habit of continuing to re-box old clunkers well past their sell by date.

All builds start with the cockpit so I made some Seatbelts out of aluminium tape and wire for the buckles and quick release clips.

I built up the fuel tank and added some strapping and detail which is a bit spurious but looks ok under a bit of paint..

And drilled out the rudder pedals and added some straps form fine masking tape..

the cockpit sidewalls were painted and I made an oxygen tube out of solder wrapped with fine wire and painted the seatbelts..

Other stuff I've done is chop out the wing slats and assemble the fuselage.. The engine is also together and painted...

I'll have a go tomorrow at putting the engine into the fuselage and getting it aligned and then build the cockpit onto that.

More later..

Cheers

GF
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

I have been chipping away at the 109.

The kit needs a bit of careful Fettling to get the fit to be 100%. So it's not quite as good fit wise as the Spitfire.

As you can see I also have cut out the slats and backed the apertures with card and added some alignment blocks to get the spinner to sit concentric. I'm just tidying up seams at the moment.

Cheers
GF
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

Progress in the Me-109E

Most of the construction is done and seams and fit sorted.
It's had a coat of Tamiya fine primer out of the rattle can and I've put the base coat of blue on the undersides and sides of the fuselage. It's now masked up for the top side colours...

I'll add those tomorrow..

Cheers
GF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Really excellent seatbelt work !!
What is the blue/green tape you are using ? It looks a bit see-through which is very helpful.
It appears that you tape-mask, then put a narrow bead of putty-mask along the edge to assist with a feathered edge? I've always done it the other way and now wonder why I never thought of this. Or am I just seeing things because of the see-thru tape.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

The white line is actually the new Tamiya Masking tape for curves. It's a Nitto product marketed by Tamiya. I actually want a hard demercation line between the colours.

The green tape is some masking tape I picked up locally here we have a 'Japan mart' style store and they had this tape it's identical to 'Tamiya tape' basically a thin paper low tack masking tape but around 1/16 the price per roll. I use it for everything I'd use Tamiya Tape for.

HTH
GF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, thanks. The white stuff didn't look flat so I assumed a putty roll. I have some of the Tamiya curve stuff, but not used it much yet.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

The White tape for curves is odd stuff but can conform and make useful curves. It's not overly tacky so you have to set it in place with a rub down.

I should get the top colour on tonight then de-mask and start the mottling..
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DazDaMan »

Great stuff.
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

A bit more paint on the 109...

In fact the main paint is pretty much done...

The colours are from Mr. colour lacquers they have some nice RLM colours. the mottle is done freehand I have an old Holbein graphics airbrush which had a fine needle and with well thinned paint the mottle was easy enough to do..

It now needs clear coat before the decals..

Cheers
GF
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's looking a treat GF; really smart mottling
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Looking good. I've always been a bit scared to do that scheme, at any scale!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep mottle is hard to do well with a paint brush. The 'real' thing was often painted with a compressor and spray gun. So as you move up the scales this gets harder to replicate with the hairy stick...

Return to “Large Scale Planes GB”