Rob's A-wing *finished*

UAMF's signature event, fun for all.
Runs August 1st to 31st and your host is FredK.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's A-wing *finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

Due to the minimal painting and glueing requirements, the new Bandai Star Wars kits just beg to become blitzfodder, and who am I do disappoint them :-D

I'll be joining the party with the 1/72 A-wing fighter.

Inside the box is the expected bunch of multi-coloured sprues. Since the A-wing is really a little runt, Bandai decided to fill out the bow with a rather more elaborate base for this one, including a Death Star surface tower, which takes up a complete sprue.

Painting requirements may be limited, but there is some work to be done there, and paint needs time to dry. A lot of time, unless you use acrylics, and acrylics needs primer, which brings me right back to paint needing a lot of time to dry. Ideally then, I'd do the priming on day one, get some sleep, and continue on day two. Problem with that is that in this case, I can't just indiscriminately blast primer over everything, and I'm not really up to precise masking at the end of the day, in the dead of night, before staggering into bed.

So, I'm going to try something daft, and use gloss varnish as a primer. This will, hopefully, give the acrilics I intend to use for actual painting something to hang on to, serve as a decent base for the decals, and keep the colours as they are. Exception to this is the pilot, which will get the more traditional grey primer.

Down side to all this: this blitz is going to have a really boring start late today, with the action only starting when between 8 and 10 hours of the allotted time have passed tomorrow morning.
iggie

Re: Rob's A-wing

Post by iggie »

I like your thinking on this!
I have to say though that I only use acrylics, and very rarely bother with primer on any kit......have you tried a little on the Bandai plastic yet?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:have you tried a little on the Bandai plastic yet?
Not on these particular sprues, but on all plastic I've encountered so far, including my earlier build of Bandai's X-wing, the results have been dodgy at best. I'm afraid there's not a lot of love lost between me and acrylics :sad:
iggie

Post by iggie »

rob_van_riel wrote:
iggie wrote:have you tried a little on the Bandai plastic yet?
Not on these particular sprues, but on all plastic I've encountered so far, including my earlier build of Bandai's X-wing, the results have been dodgy at best. I'm afraid there's not a lot of love lost between me and acrylics :sad:
Interesting.....I may have a play with some of the runners in a Bandai kit to see how I get on before I attempt my blitzbau :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Interesting choice Rob. I think in previous Blitzbau it has been permitted to over-all prime the sprues before the start of the build to allow for the drying time, but you'd have to check with Fred first.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Is it strictly necessary to prime? I don't always prime for acrylics myself but do ensure that the surface is clean by rubbing over with isopropanol.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have a Bandai kit, R2-D2 & BB-8, for my blitz and I'm concerned about an overall prime because it is basically snap-fit and the tolerances may be too tight. I'm not at home right now, but I've been curious if these things are styrene or one of the poly---- types, such as in RC racing cars, that require a special paint (eg, Tamiya's PS-nn line).

???
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Down side to all this: this blitz is going to have a really boring start late today, with the action only starting when between 8 and 10 hours of the allotted time have passed tomorrow morning.
Well, I did say it was going to be late..
Anyway, 23:45, kicking things off..

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:I have a Bandai kit, R2-D2 & BB-8, for my blitz and I'm concerned about an overall prime because it is basically snap-fit and the tolerances may be too tight. I'm not at home right now, but I've been curious if these things are styrene or one of the poly---- types, such as in RC racing cars, that require a special paint (eg, Tamiya's PS-nn line).
We'll soon know if the fit is affected by the coat of varnish. As for the material, don't worry, it's good ol' polystyrene (well, at least the X-wing was, and this looks and feels like it).
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Dazzled wrote:Is it strictly necessary to prime?
Can't say for sure, but every attempt to use acrylics on bare polystyrene so far has been a disaster. I'm not taking chances anymore.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Well, I did say it was going to be late..
Anyway, 23:45, kicking things off..
As indicated, short but fundamental today. Various primers are on (no pictures, since a varnished sprue would not be distinguishable from an unpainted one anyway). More tomorrow.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Right, I'm back, and in trouble :cry:

The idea with the varnish as primer failed. The sprues spent the night in the shed under a lid (for protection), ie, in a cool, dark place without airflow. Guess what, they're still very sticky :evil: . Well, the glossy ones anyway. I used a different varnish on the base, and that at least is perfectly usable. The main ship sprues are now parked outside, in the sun, and in the wind. Hopefully this will teach them some manners in a hurry, or this will go from a blitz to a fizzle in no time flat.

For more entertainment, the sprue gates on the canopies spill over into the clear parts, and will take careful removal and restoration.

I need tea...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Oops!
I hope you have the same wind and sunshine we have here this morning; they'd dry anything in double quick time!
Best wishes

Jim
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:Oops!
I hope you have the same wind and sunshine we have here this morning; they'd dry anything in double quick time!
The wind's just a light, but probably sufficient, breeze, but the sun is out in force. I should be back up to speed around noon (local time; 11:00 board time).
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Rather than twiddle my thumbs while the varnish dries, I built up the flak tower that is part of the base.

The kit has the geomorph with the pole for the fighter mounted directly next to this one, but while the A-wing is insanely agile, I feel this is just too close. Fortunately, I have a leftover geomorph from the X-wing still cluttering the bench, and I suspect sticking that one in between will make a spectacular setup.

Return to “Blitzbau XIX”