SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:Haven't heard back from Aviaeology....

So, I've started my Mustang and I need to create a mounting point for the acrylic rod. Tom - what diameter rod are you thinking we'll want to use?

I think 3 or 4mm will be sufficiently strong enough Paul as long as the bases are large/deep enough for stability. Thinner rod will help to keep costs down for everyone too. Any one building the larger scales should scale up accordingly.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Cheers, Tom - I can plan accordingly. We can talk about rod length later.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Got an e-mail from Terry at Aviaeology - the decal sheets are on their way to him, but delivery to me might be slightly delayed due to a potential postal strike in Canada! :roll: I'll let everyone know when they arrive.....
Paul

TomW

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:Got an e-mail from Terry at Aviaeology - the decal sheets are on their way to him, but delivery to me might be slightly delayed due to a potential postal strike in Canada! :roll: I'll let everyone know when they arrive.....

Good to hear that there is some progress on the new sheet Paul :grin: . There is some progress here too as I've managed to source the materials for our Fjiord at a reasonable cost. Construction will begin shortly.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Change of nickname - we'll call him Slartibartfast Watts.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

TomW wrote: I've managed to source the materials for our Fjiord at a reasonable cost. Construction will begin shortly.
Thank gawd for that - for a minute I thought your plans to build a fjord had gone cold - boom, boom!! (I'll get me coat...)
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
chrism

Post by chrism »

PaulBradley wrote:Change of nickname - we'll call him Slartibartfast Watts.
Slartibartfast??? what ever it is ... That is totally lost on me ....
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Hitchhikers, Chris - remember to carry your towel and Don't Panic!

Oh, and the decal sheet is on the way! :-D
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

The decal sheet arrived last week - sorry, I forgot to post that info here.....

These are 1/72 and the sheet offers six a/c that took part in the Black Friday mission. Those of you who are doing 1/72 Beaus for the display, please contact me and I'll send you the relevant decals to add to your model - the sheet offers all individual markings, but you'll need to use your kit roundels and stenciling. I will also scan and mail the relevant part of the instruction sheet for your chosen aircraft - Aviaeology's instructions are highly detailed and there's plenty of detail on how to paint and equip your particular aircraft. I would also highly recommend getting a hold of Airfix Model World magazines for May 2015 (issue 54) and July 2016 (issue 68) for extensive coverage of both new Airfix Beaufighter kits including scale plans and tons of detail. For those of you doing the larger scale Beaus, these decals are also available in 1/48 and 1/32.

Aviaeology decals really are the very best quality and I highly encourage you to check out their range. at their eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/Aviaeology; Terry and co. are very knowledgeable and friendly and their customer service is excellent.
Paul

chrism

Post by chrism »

Tom - how is everything going with this project. Have you got offers to build everything you need, or ... if there is a simple and straightforward OOB build without some complex dobbly or patterned painting needed I might be persuadable
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TomW

Post by TomW »

chrism wrote:Tom - how is everything going with this project. Have you got offers to build everything you need, or ... if there is a simple and straightforward OOB build without some complex dobbly or patterned painting needed I might be persuadable

I was just about to post a reply to Pauls' post above Chris calling for all the people originally interested (see page 1) to re-confirm their interest so I can take a head count and identify any gaps in the build list.

More than likely we are going to need another Beaufighter (or two, or three :shock: ) which are in a plain and simple two colour paintscheme. Once I have numbers I shall get back to you.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

fredk

Post by fredk »

Looks like you have everything covered.
I'll watch from the quay-side
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

PaulBradley wrote:These are 1/72 and the sheet offers six a/c that took part in the Black Friday mission. Those of you who are doing 1/72 Beaus for the display, please contact me and I'll send you the relevant decals to add to your model - the sheet offers all individual markings, but you'll need to use your kit roundels and stenciling. I will also scan and mail the relevant part of the instruction sheet for your chosen aircraft - Aviaeology's instructions are highly detailed and there's plenty of detail on how to paint and equip your particular aircraft. I would also highly recommend getting a hold of Airfix Model World magazines for May 2015 (issue 54) and July 2016 (issue 68) for extensive coverage of both new Airfix Beaufighter kits including scale plans and tons of detail. For those of you doing the larger scale Beaus, these decals are also available in 1/48 and 1/32.
To try and avoid duplication, here is a reminder of my post from Nov 11th in this thread:

Aviaeology 1/32nd 404 Squadron Beaufighters (Part 1) purchased and collected from Hannants (£9.45) at Telford on Saturday.

Decals for 6 TF.Xs:-
NE686 EO-T
NT916 EO-S
NV177 EO-Z
NV416 EO-J
NV427 EO-L
RD136 E0-Q1

I will be doing NV177 E0-Z

Cheers
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I've e-mailed Terry the list that I have of participant aircraft, to confirm it jives with his research - I'll get back to you guys with his reply. One of my concerns is that 404 used the code EE during Spring 1945 and changed it to EO - so I wish to confirm what code was in use on Black Friday, and which a/c from 404 took part.
Paul

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Despite my complete lack of modelling mojo, I intend to honour my commitment for a 1/72 & a 1/144 Beau for the display.

Paul,

If you could point me to a particular aircraft for the 1/72 Beau once Terry gets back to you, I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Martin

Return to “CC CIG 2016 SMW Display - Black Friday”