SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by PaulBradley »

Absolutely, Martin!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've sent a reply to your PM Tom but just to confirm on here that I do indeed intend to build a new tool Airfix FW-190 A8 for this display, the kit is in my pending pile and will hopefully be started either after my hols next month or in September. I will need to confirm the markings options and will do so once I've started as I'll have to order some replacement decals.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

beany wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:These are 1/72 and the sheet offers six a/c that took part in the Black Friday mission. Those of you who are doing 1/72 Beaus for the display, please contact me and I'll send you the relevant decals to add to your model - the sheet offers all individual markings, but you'll need to use your kit roundels and stenciling. I will also scan and mail the relevant part of the instruction sheet for your chosen aircraft - Aviaeology's instructions are highly detailed and there's plenty of detail on how to paint and equip your particular aircraft. I would also highly recommend getting a hold of Airfix Model World magazines for May 2015 (issue 54) and July 2016 (issue 68) for extensive coverage of both new Airfix Beaufighter kits including scale plans and tons of detail. For those of you doing the larger scale Beaus, these decals are also available in 1/48 and 1/32.
To try and avoid duplication, here is a reminder of my post from Nov 11th in this thread:

Aviaeology 1/32nd 404 Squadron Beaufighters (Part 1) purchased and collected from Hannants (£9.45) at Telford on Saturday.

Decals for 6 TF.Xs:-
NE686 EO-T
NT916 EO-S
NV177 EO-Z
NV416 EO-J
NV427 EO-L
RD136 E0-Q1

I will be doing NV177 E0-Z

Cheers

Thanks Al :grin: although it appears I steered you towards a marking option that didn't take part in Black Friday :oops: If you have already started decaling her then don't worry but if you can switch to either S, T or Q1 then that would be great. I'm really sorry - I think it was the great nose art on Z that drew me in.

Again don't worry if you've already started decaling, I'll be happy that she's there.

PaulBradley wrote:I've e-mailed Terry the list that I have of participant aircraft, to confirm it jives with his research - I'll get back to you guys with his reply. One of my concerns is that 404 used the code EE during Spring 1945 and changed it to EO - so I wish to confirm what code was in use on Black Friday, and which a/c from 404 took part.

From Terry's 1/72 404 sqdn sheet instructions all 404 aircraft were operating with EO codes for Black Friday. The sheet has the following options from Black Friday:

NE339/ EO-U
NE669/ EO-A
NE686/ EO-T
NE825/ EO-G
NT916/ EO-S
ND136/ EO-Q1

As you can guess I have the sheet and can send out the codes and serials for these airframes.

Martin R wrote:Despite my complete lack of modelling mojo, I intend to honour my commitment for a 1/72 & a 1/144 Beau for the display.

Paul,

If you could point me to a particular aircraft for the 1/72 Beau once Terry gets back to you, I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Martin

Thankyou Martin :grin: Once Paul has confirmed that the research all marries up we can get codes and serials dished out. The 1/144 will need to be sourced from other supplies though.

ShaunW wrote:I've sent a reply to your PM Tom but just to confirm on here that I do indeed intend to build a new tool Airfix FW-190 A8 for this display, the kit is in my pending pile and will hopefully be started either after my hols next month or in September. I will need to confirm the markings options and will do so once I've started as I'll have to order some replacement decals.

Thankyou Shaun :grin: I have just seen your PM. The FW 190's involved were from IX and XII gruppe, JG.5. Camouflage was RLM74 / 75 on the upper surfaces and RLM76 underneath. The aircraft were generally unmottled which makes for very simple Luftwaffe options for once :-D

As promised I've started putting our Fjord together:

This is the first 4ft section (of three) that will make up the rear wall of our display. The base will be cut at the foot of the vertical so the foot print is 1ft deep. Height is two feet and a little bit (650mm) which I think is high enough for our purposes without being impossible to see over - and therefore impossible to hide behind :ha:

Currently the poly panels are only tacked together - once the cuts in the base are made I'll glue them together firmly and then coat the cliff side in interior filler / plaster to create a rocky surface. Paint will be simply grey and white.

The front right section of the display will be of similar construction but on a triangular base that widens towards the rear right of the display to create the vanishing point illusion.

Does this meet with everyone's approval?

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Good start, Tom! I can almost visualize it. :roll:

Just got confirmation from Terry this arvo that NV177 didn't take part in Black Friday - here's what he said;

"Pat Flynn (NV177/Z's most frequent 1945 pilot) flew NE686/T on the Førde operation. NV177 was one of the very few examples of 404 Sqn nose art for the period, so I can certainly see the attraction.

"Sadly (for your fellow builder…) she was out of the line on 9 February – disappearing from the roster for nearly two full months after being crewed by Savard and Middleton on an uneventful 19 December weather-aborted strike. She had first come on strength 404 Sqn on 22 August 1944 and was a frequent participant through to that December date. No reason is given – could have been deep maintenance, could have been part of the "C Flight" training and practice pool. Who knows? She's listed as "repaired on site" by Bristols CRO (Civilian Repair Organization) on 2 January and awaiting collection by the unit , as synchronicity would have it, on 9 February 1945! Her first operational hop in 1945 was 15 February (Flynn and Michael, uneventful) and she was a busy aircraft for the duration to VE-Day… in 404 through to the end of March (including Pat Flynn's DFC action over Egersund, 24 March, which probably resulted in the nose art) and in 455 Sqn as UB•K1 thereafter (1 April)."

I'll leave it to Tom and Al to decide how they wish to proceed.

Terry has also supplied me with a ton of other information that corrects what I've posted previously, so I'll make the necessaries and post it tomorrow. We can then work out who is going to build what.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:

Thanks Al :grin: although it appears I steered you towards a marking option that didn't take part in Black Friday :oops:
OMG Watts - you only had ONE job man... :boom:

Seriously though mate, knowing me as you do I suspect you can imagine how many :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:s I give about it, so for sake of nominating one I shall now do
RD136 E0-Q1 instead on my 1/32 beastie, OK?!

Cheers
Al. ;-)
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see the fjord is underway Tom and I look forward to seeing more pics as you progess the construction. Ta for the info regarding the FW-190 schemes, I'll look into it in more detail when I come to start the build but the lack of mottling helps!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

beany wrote:
TomW wrote:

Thanks Al :grin: although it appears I steered you towards a marking option that didn't take part in Black Friday :oops:
OMG Watts - you only had ONE job man... :boom:

Seriously though mate, knowing me as you do I suspect you can imagine how many :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:s I give about it, so for sake of nominating one I shall now do
RD136 E0-Q1 instead on my 1/32 beastie, OK?!

Cheers
Al. ;-)
That's a good choice, Al - I love the worn look and multiple shades of EDSG on this one; it should make for a very visually appealing model.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

PaulBradley wrote:That's a good choice, Al - I love the worn look and multiple shades of EDSG on this one; it should make for a very visually appealing model.
Yeah, unfortunately I tend to get that effect with my airbrushing whether I'm after it or not Paul :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

:lol:
Paul

chrism

Post by chrism »

Good to see you have everything in control Tom. Good sound base there to build on
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK, let's talk 1/72 Beaus. There are 5 options on the Aviaeology decal sheet (not 6 as previously stated), and I have decided on the sole 455 Sqn option, UB-F/LZ407. That leaves four options for the rest of you, all from 144 Sqn:

All of them have little quirks for added interest, so please take a look and chime in with which option you'd prefer to do. First come, first served. ;-)

I love the attention to detail that Terry puts into his decal packages - just look at all the little nuggets of information on this one page alone! These decals really are terrific value for money. I believe that he has a distributor in the UK who attends SMW, so be sure to keep an eye out when you are there.
Paul

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK Paul, could I have PL-O, please?
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Anyone got a suggestion for my 1/144 Beau? I'd prefer one with a thimble nose and dorsal extension. I can then get started and try to work out what I do about decals.

Regards

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

PL-O it is, Martin! I'll pop them in the mail soonest.

I don't believe any of the extended fin/thimble nose Beaus had quite reached squadrons in early February - I think that they didn't start showing up until later that month. I'll check with Terry for a definitive answer.
Paul

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

PaulBradley wrote:PL-O it is, Martin! I'll pop them in the mail soonest.

I don't believe any of the extended fin/thimble nose Beaus had quite reached squadrons in early February - I think that they didn't start showing up until later that month. I'll check with Terry for a definitive answer.
Hi Paul,

I have 1/144 codes for QM-D and PL-F, so I'll take PL-Q for my mini-Beau sans fillet and radar nose. Serial # may be a problem, but I may take liberties with that.

Regards

Martin

Return to “CC CIG 2016 SMW Display - Black Friday”