SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by TomW »

So after the initial musings on the subject over the past few weeks and the generally warm reception that I think it has received I am making the following proposal for our SIG display next year:

Black Friday - February 9th 1945

Now stop sniggering at the back!! I know my drawing skills leave much to be desired but I hope this gives you all an Idea of what I've got in my head. As you can see the diorama will be planned over a 6 by 4ft table with two fiord wall sections. The target vessel will sit at the far end surrounded by a handful of supporting Flak vessels. I am proposing 3 flights of 3 beaufighters in scales ranging from 1/32 down to 1/144 running the gauntlet of Flak and fighters (think 633 squadron or the Death Star trench run) with top cover of Mustang III's and a swarm of Fw-190's causing merry hell.

To pull this off I can see us requiring the following:

1x 1/32 Beaufighter
2 x 1/48 Beaufighters
3 x 1/72 Beaufighters
3 x 1/144 Beaufighters

4 or 5 Mustang III's in 1/72 and 1/144 (maybe a 1/48 one too?)

5 or 6 Fw-190A-8's in 1/72, 1/144 and one in 1/24 to represent Rudi Linz's Blue 4

1x 1/350 German Destroyer
2 or 3 1/350 Flak tugs/trawlers

After a lot of discussion at SMW this year I have pledges for several of these aircraft and the Destroyer target but I will leave it up to those individuals to add their names below - just in case they have changed their minds in the cold light of day ;-) :ha: . I will put together the terrain features but this will mean that my available space for transporting aircraft builds will be limited and in turn means I'll be needing you guys to provide the bulk of the flying points of interest.

So.... don't all rush at once but please do pledge yourself to a build (or two). Aircraft markings can be tied down later on (thanks to Paul and his research we have a near full list of participants on both sides) but I want to find out if we an pull this off or not first if you catch my drift.

Regards

Tom

The Current Build List:

Matt –

1 x 1/350 Dragon Z-33 Destroyer
1 x 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter
2 x 1/144 Mark One Beaufighter
3 x 1/144 Sweet Mustang III (to be distributed to interested parties)

Paul -

1 x 1/72 Airfix (nt) Beaufighter
1 x 1/72 Airfix Mustang III
1 x 1/48 Mustang (poss)
2 x 1/300 Beaufighter

Al -

1 x 1/32 Revell/Lodela Beaufighter

Darryl -

1 x 1/24 Airfix Fw-190

John -

1 x 1/350 WEM Kriegsmarine Flak lighter
1 x 1/350 Card Kriegsmarine Flak Lighter

Martin -

1 x 1/72 Beaufighter
1 x 1/144 Beaufighter

Shaun -

1 x 1/72 Airfix (nt) Fw-190

Tom -

All the scenery
1 x 1/144 Eduard Fw-190
1 x 1/72 Airfix (nt) Beaufighter.
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by mattbacon »

Great minds...

Click on this for a bigger version.

What I was trying to get at here is that there are, if you like "perspective lines," that run towards the "focus" at the back right corner, where the destroyer will sit, from the other three corners. The further back you go across the table, and the further you go from left to right, the smaller scale aircraft you need and the lower, in real inches above the tabletop, the same "real-world" altitude is. That's our key guideline for placing the aircraft models. I think we'll need to be _fairly_ clear about what goes where (it affects the size of the "pack ice" stand base element), but unless it can be set up in its entirety somewhere before the show, I expect there will have to be some fine tuning of the perspective on the day...

bestest,
M.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I can do (will be in my garage by end of the week):

1x 1/350 Dragon Z-33 destroyer (having read a few reviews, I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh)
1x 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter
2x 1/144 Mark One Beaufighter

I have stuck 3x Sweet 1/144 P-51B (Mustang III) in my HLJ Private Warehouse, to head this way next time I buy something larger from them. I'm happy to distribute those to anyone who wants one.

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Though I'm not in the SIG can I suggest a simple construction method for the fjord. Chicken wire to form the shape, stuffed with scrunched newspaper and covered with papermache. This will at leat make it light enough to lug about.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I can bring the new 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter and the old 1/72 Airfix P-51B Mustang III. ;-) I can also do a 1/48 Mustang if required.

I think a couple of 1/300 Beaus would also be useful - with them pulling up beyond the target, we can add rocket and gun splashes around the targets for effect.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Lodela Revell 1/32 Beaufighter is 75% complete and Decals have now been purchased for an appropriate Black Friday aircraft.

May I suggest that some thought be given to standardise the appearance of the support poles for the aircraft, so there are not a mish-mash of styles and colours. Gauges will obviously be different depending on the weight of the aircraft to be supported. May I proffer clear acrylic rod as a starting point?

Also Tom, why not ask for 12 feet this year - you heard what they said in the Leaders Meeting and I thing we have a sound display idea to warrant it. With 1/24 and 1/32 aircraft hooning about, 6 feet of width will soon look a bit cluttered IMHO.

Cheers
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
chrism

Post by chrism »

I thought 12 ft x 4ft ie 4 tables each 6ft x 2ft was the standard that you got offered. It is for the three other local clubs near me. Then if you have a "sound" proposition to send in with the annual return asking for more (which Southampton did have last year when asking for 24ft which they got, and again this year they asked for 18ft and got it) . They have not been asked to pay for anything either it was offered on asking for it.

So I am curious as to why you are talking of a small 6ft display not a 12ft / 4table affair ?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TomW

Post by TomW »

mattbacon wrote:I can do (will be in my garage by end of the week):

1x 1/350 Dragon Z-33 destroyer (having read a few reviews, I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh)
1x 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter
2x 1/144 Mark One Beaufighter

I have stuck 3x Sweet 1/144 P-51B (Mustang III) in my HLJ Private Warehouse, to head this way next time I buy something larger from them. I'm happy to distribute those to anyone who wants one.

bestest,
M.

Thankyou Matt :grin:

PaulBradley wrote:I can bring the new 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter and the old 1/72 Airfix P-51B Mustang III. ;-) I can also do a 1/48 Mustang if required.

I think a couple of 1/300 Beaus would also be useful - with them pulling up beyond the target, we can add rocket and gun splashes around the targets for effect.
Cheers Paul :grin: and the tiny scale Beaus are a suggestion worth thinking about.

beany wrote:Lodela Revell 1/32 Beaufighter is 75% complete and Decals have now been purchased for an appropriate Black Friday aircraft.

May I suggest that some thought be given to standardise the appearance of the support poles for the aircraft, so there are not a mish-mash of styles and colours. Gauges will obviously be different depending on the weight of the aircraft to be supported. May I proffer clear acrylic rod as a starting point?

Also Tom, why not ask for 12 feet this year - you heard what they said in the Leaders Meeting and I thing we have a sound display idea to warrant it. With 1/24 and 1/32 aircraft hooning about, 6 feet of width will soon look a bit cluttered IMHO.

Cheers
Nice one Al :grin: I was planning to request the full 12ft available as a matter of course this year but it should be possible to stretch the dio from 6ft to 8ft in width. That still leaves a 4ft by 4ft square to provide the background and outcomes of the raid.

JamesPerrin wrote:Though I'm not in the SIG can I suggest a simple construction method for the fjord. Chicken wire to form the shape, stuffed with scrunched newspaper and covered with papermache. This will at leat make it light enough to lug about.
Great idea James - its a choice between this and carving the shapes from foamboard, I'll have to play with both techniques in a small mock-up and make a final decision.

chrism wrote:I thought 12 ft x 4ft ie 4 tables each 6ft x 2ft was the standard that you got offered. It is for the three other local clubs near me. Then if you have a "sound" proposition to send in with the annual return asking for more (which Southampton did have last year when asking for 24ft which they got, and again this year they asked for 18ft and got it) . They have not been asked to pay for anything either it was offered on asking for it.

So I am curious as to why you are talking of a small 6ft display not a 12ft / 4table affair ?

The two options that exist as 'standard' from the IPMS are either 6ft by 4ft (two tables) or 12ft by 4ft (four tables) - this year I opted for the smaller option for logistical purposes but was planning to request the full 12ft for 2016. The problem with requesting for example 18ft is that it makes the terrain sections that much longer/larger and then I run into issues with getting them into the back of my car (big old barge that she is) with sufficient room to fit all the builds I bring for other SIGS.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

The P-51s will be with me early next year, providing Aoshima's Lamborghini "Sesto Elemento" makes its appearance on time in December...

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Just got an e-mail from Aviaeology - they have just re-released their Dallachy Strike Wing 1945 decal sheet which features 144, 455 and 489 Sqns, including 6 Black Friday options! (Tom has already bought the 404 Sqn sheet). I have bought the 1/72 sheet and will distribute some of the options to interested parties. 8-)

Incidentally, they also do the set in 1/48 and 1/32.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Aviaeology 1/32 404 Squadron Beaufighters (Part 1) purchased and collected from Hannants (£9.45) at Telford on Saturday.

Decals for 6 TF.Xs:-
NE686 EO-T
NT916 EO-S
NV177 EO-Z
NV416 EO-J
NV427 EO-L
RD136 E0-Q1

I will be doing NV177 E0-Z

The 12 A4 sized sides of notes and photos that accompany these decals are absolutely superb. They tell me that NV177 was flown by the squadron C/O, W/C Pierce and had nose art and a white maple leaf applied. It still had the torpedo crutches installed and radio altimeter and beam approach antennae fitted. Whilst most 404 a/c had white spinners fitted later in 1945, a photo of EO-L, EO-S, EO-D AND EO-Z from mid 1945 (Black Friday was 9th Feb 1945) shows that these had not yet been fitted.

I have already fitted resin replacement "hedgehog" type exhausts on my build, and there are replacement vac-form canopy and rear turret to get the shapes right for the TF.X. They did not have the additional spine or extended noses of later TF.Xs (hooray - my kit supplied them as vac-forms but I'm glad I don't have to incorporate them!) but I have used the replacement vac-form large tail planes, fitted at a dihedral on a bit of bent metal for strength and support, although I may have got the angle too severe - I've bought the new tool Airfix TF.X to check it against and also have the Tamiya 1/48 version in the stash.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:Just got an e-mail from Aviaeology - they have just re-released their Dallachy Strike Wing 1945 decal sheet which features 144, 455 and 489 Sqns, including 6 Black Friday options! (Tom has already bought the 404 Sqn sheet). I have bought the 1/72 sheet and will distribute some of the options to interested parties. 8-)

Incidentally, they also do the set in 1/48 and 1/32.

Nice one Paul :grin: especially as it covers 144 and 489 sqns, as the current plan only calls for three 1/72 Beaus on the dio do we have anyone who wants to build a few wheels down examples? They can be placed with the historical info on the remainder 4ft by 4ft. I too can provide suitable markings as my 404sqn sheet also covers 6 Black Friday examples.

beany wrote:Aviaeology 1/32 404 Squadron Beaufighters (Part 1) purchased and collected from Hannants (£9.45) at Telford on Saturday.

Decals for 6 TF.Xs:-
NE686 EO-T
NT916 EO-S
NV177 EO-Z
NV416 EO-J
NV427 EO-L
RD136 E0-Q1

I will be doing NV177 E0-Z

The 12 A4 sized sides of notes and photos that accompany these decals are absolutely superb. They tell me that NV177 was flown by the squadron C/O, W/C Pierce and had nose art and a white maple leaf applied. It still had the torpedo crutches installed and radio altimeter and beam approach antennae fitted. Whilst most 404 a/c had white spinners fitted later in 1945, a photo of EO-L, EO-S, EO-D AND EO-Z from mid 1945 (Black Friday was 9th Feb 1945) shows that these had not yet been fitted.

I have already fitted resin replacement "hedgehog" type exhausts on my build, and there are replacement vac-form canopy and rear turret to get the shapes right for the TF.X. They did not have the additional spine or extended noses of later TF.Xs (hooray - my kit supplied them as vac-forms but I'm glad I don't have to incorporate them!) but I have used the replacement vac-form large tail planes, fitted at a dihedral on a bit of bent metal for strength and support, although I may have got the angle too severe - I've bought the new tool Airfix TF.X to check it against and also have the Tamiya 1/48 version in the stash.

Cheers
Al.

Excellent choice Al :-D the nose art on 'Zooperman' will look best on the biggest Beau of the lot.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I thought a recently saw something flash before my eyes, a magazine ad or digital ad or maybe just cobwebs, about a new release German Flak something or another - ship, lighter, ??? - but my casual searching in areas I don't normally go turns up nothing except the old WEM Flak-Lighter which is of course very OOP and probably ridiculous in cost if findable.

Ring a bell with anyone ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TomW

Post by TomW »

jRatz wrote:I thought a recently saw something flash before my eyes, a magazine ad or digital ad or maybe just cobwebs, about a new release German Flak something or another - ship, lighter, ??? - but my casual searching in areas I don't normally go turns up nothing except the old WEM Flak-Lighter which is of course very OOP and probably ridiculous in cost if findable.

Ring a bell with anyone ?

Nothing ringing here John but I'm on the search as well - I'd rather we can find a kit instead of having to commission a scratchbuild.

Regards

Tom

**Edit - I just found that Trumpeter do 1/350th S-Boats so that is an alternative if we cant find a suitable trawler or lighter kit **
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I think this is what we need:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html;
http://www.steelnavy.com/WEMFlakLighter.htm;

We "just" need to find someone who has stock of White Ensign Models, or someone who will sell us a couple...

bestest,
M.

Return to “CC CIG 2016 SMW Display - Black Friday”