SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by PaulBradley »

I dug out my Airfix Beaufighter and am starting this - I have quite a few projects on the go, so I'll be doing this in fits and starts, I'm sure.... :roll:

Tom, please let me know what angle you want this posed at. I'll need to plan for the mounting rod, so have we decided on how we are mounting these?

I also wanted to show you the 1/300 Beaus that I ordered - these are 3D printed and while the shapes are nice, the surface texture is very rough and not easy to sand, so these are going to take some effort. I've already tried one wing and it was surprisingly difficult. :shock: I've adjusted the lighting values on this photo so you can see the roughness....

A quick update on the Aviaeology decals - there's been a further delay, so I have no idea when I'll get them. :frown: Good job we are not in a hurry.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:I dug out my Airfix Beaufighter and am starting this - I have quite a few projects on the go, so I'll be doing this in fits and starts, I'm sure.... :roll:

Tom, please let me know what angle you want this posed at. I'll need to plan for the mounting rod, so have we decided on how we are mounting these?

I also wanted to show you the 1/300 Beaus that I ordered - these are 3D printed and while the shapes are nice, the surface texture is very rough and not easy to sand, so these are going to take some effort. I've already tried one wing and it was surprisingly difficult. :shock: I've adjusted the lighting values on this photo so you can see the roughness....

A quick update on the Aviaeology decals - there's been a further delay, so I have no idea when I'll get them. :frown: Good job we are not in a hurry.....

Good start Paul :grin: With the 1/72 Beaus they'll be displayed as a flight of three on a shallow dive approaching the fjiord, so wings level and nose angled down slightly (15 to 20 degrees or thereabouts) clear acrylic or Perspex rod please and the base will be pack ice, so any rough iceberg-y shape that will hold the model up :grin:

I'm not sure of a solution to the 1/300 Beaus surface texture :???: its something I've heard about with 3D printed parts and I think people usually try to seal the surfaces before sanding them smooth - but don't quote me on that!

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

How long should the rod be? And we should probably have a consistent thickness of rod, too.

It's a shame about the surface texture. With some other 3D models, they can be spun in a clear plastic that's very smooth, but it costs about 2/3rds more. In this case, I'd have happily paid it....! A visit to Shapeways shows that there are all sorts of neat 1/144 aircraft available, as well as 1/300 and some 1/7800 as well. Be sure to look for that clear plastic though, as the white plastic will exhibit this roughness.
Paul

TomW

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:How long should the rod be? And we should probably have a consistent thickness of rod, too.

It's a shame about the surface texture. With some other 3D models, they can be spun in a clear plastic that's very smooth, but it costs about 2/3rds more. In this case, I'd have happily paid it....! A visit to Shapeways shows that there are all sorts of neat 1/144 aircraft available, as well as 1/300 and some 1/7800 as well. Be sure to look for that clear plastic though, as the white plastic will exhibit this roughness.

Right now I cant give you an exact length for the mounting rods :oops: I'm off to the builders merchant tomorrow to pick up the materials to build the fjiord (April is scenery construction month on my 2016 modelling calendar ) so I'll have a better idea of placement soon!

These are a few of my planning sketches to give some idea:

I wish I'd made more effort in Art at school :roll: hopefully if you combine these with the sketches on page 1 then all becomes a little clearer.

The biggest hurdle is that 6ft length is the absolute maximum I can fit in the rear of my car and the max width between the rear suspension turrets is 3ft. As a result I can only build two fjiord sections :-| . They're going to be built from thin sheet MDF for the base with sawn PSE uprights glued and screwed to the baseboards. The cliff faces will be a chicken wire mesh former with old school Papier Mache for the surface. I'll spray this with grey and then drybrush it up to white on the peaks.

I'm hoping that this will be strong enough without being backbreakingly heavy to move around :shock:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK, fair enough - I have lots to get on with, both in doing sub-assemblies for this Beau, the 1/300 Beaus and other kits for the CBK display. 8-)
Paul

TomW

Post by TomW »

Okay I've just had one of those 'Eureka' moments realising that the rug on the floor in front of me is 6ft by 4ft :-D and with the help of some handy props I've mocked up the plans:

From above:

From the large scale end:

From the small scale end:

In this mock up the Beau is 1/72 and roughly where the mid scale flight will be. The 1/700 Kirov class is the same length as our target Z33 and the two white rectangles are Johns Flak lighters. Looking at this I think I'll need to make the long back wall 8ft instead of 6ft to give us more room to play with (and to avoid having to mount the largest aircraft on unfeasibly long poles!)

I can do this if I build that back wall in 2ft sections that join together - this helps with the transport issue as well. If I keep the front wall at 4ft length it gives us a wide entry point to the fjiord which will accommodate Al's 1/32 Beau and Darryls' 1/24 FW190 as well as forcing sufficient perspective narrowing down to the target locations.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice, but I'm not convinced by the stripes on the rug. Too nineties for my liking..... :ha:

...and when were you thinking of washing up? Next year? :lol:
Paul

chrism

Post by chrism »

Washing up ... wots that ... He's a bloke who lives alone - washing up is done when clean stock of said item eg mugs is exhausted
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Tom

Not close to starting yet, but I know I'm in the hole for both a 1/72 and a 1/144 Beau. As I'm a lazy git, do you have any preferences for the codes and serials for them? Apologies if the answer is further back in the thread.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
TomW

Post by TomW »

Martin R wrote:Tom

Not close to starting yet, but I know I'm in the hole for both a 1/72 and a 1/144 Beau. As I'm a lazy git, do you have any preferences for the codes and serials for them? Apologies if the answer is further back in the thread.

Regards

Martin

The answer to that question is still pending Martin :oops: Until Paul receives his Aviaology decal set we aren't 100% sure of what markings are available in 1/72. So I'll have to get back to you.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Fair enough. I'm glad I'm not too far behind.

Regards

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'll be sending out decals as appropriate once I've received them - I'll post an update as soon as I hear anything. In the meantime, I am starting some sub-assemblies on my Beau.
Paul

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I notice that Mark I have a 1/144 Beau MkX out with (apparently) extended canted tailplanes. One of the colour options has an extended fin strake as well . . .

In other news, I bought a Sweet 1/144 Mustang III with Malcolm hood option.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice!

I still haven't had a further update from Aviaeology - time to ping them, I think.....
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Haven't heard back from Aviaeology....

So, I've started my Mustang and I need to create a mounting point for the acrylic rod. Tom - what diameter rod are you thinking we'll want to use?
Paul

Return to “CC CIG 2016 SMW Display - Black Friday”