Dazzled's Big Focke

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Big Focke

Post by Dazzled »

Just an update to show progress on the 1/24th Fw-190A8, the aircraft flown by Rudi Linz on fateful day. It wasn't such a good day for poor old Rudi as he was killed during the melee.

Work commitments are making the run-up to Telford a pain in the proverbial. I've lost a big chunk of September to having to work away from base. I'll be spending most of this week in Hertfordshire and the last half of the month in Germany so that's a lot of planned modelling time written off :frown:

So, I've been pushing a bit to make progress with this and allow me some time to finish the Victorious for the CBK display.

Progress so far is...

Paint is all on.

I did a lot of research into the colour scheme. The problem here was that there isn't really a definitive guide to what colours to use. Little seems to have been recorded about Linz or his unit in this respect. Even the museum that restored his aircraft don't seem certain and the Airfix recommendations in their new tool 1/72nd scale kit are dubious to say the least. IMHO, the most likely scheme was the grey/green (RLM 81/83) scheme rather than the 2-tone grey top scheme which was more usually applied to night fighters. There's also confusion about whether the rudder should be yellow or white and if the blue ring on the front of the nose cowl should be there or not.

Those small issues aside, one thing that was certain was that Linz's aircraft had a blue and white spiral spinner so I replicated it using Tamiya paints and their excellent flexible masking tape.

My first attempt at painting one of these and I'm quite pleased with it :)

This afternoon I should get the prop blades painted and a coat of Klear on the model and, if I have time aside from packing a suitcase, having a go at printing decals.

It's all go :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Dazzled's Big Focke

Post by PaulBradley »

Looking good, Daz!

And you know what they say about unknowns in colour schemes - if they can't provide you with positive evidence that what you've done is wrong, then it isn't wrong! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

PaulBradley wrote:Looking good, Daz!
+1!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

After spending the last few weeks working away I finally managed a bit of bench time. Truth be told making decals for the big Focke hasn't been all plain sailing. In fact every attempt turned into disaster as, no matter how much varnish I applied, the damn things would run as soon as they hit the water. I hit upon the solution after a few glasses of vino (as is frequently the case ;-) ). Instead of immersing the decals in water I placed them, paper side down on a piece of kitchen towel soaked in water, It worked perfectly and I now have a fully decalled up 1/24th Fw-190.

They'll need a day or two to dry before a coat of Klear, which is convenient as I'm heading back to Germany tomorrow, then a little weathering, a matt coat and guns/aerials.

Oh, and a big stick to mount it on ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Good to see that someone amongst us has actually managed to get something for one of our tables built and over the finish line... (probably spoken too soon now and something funny will happen with the Klear coat :oops:)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks terrific, Daz!
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Lovely looking FW.190 Daz. :wanw
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW

Post by TomW »

That is a masterpiece 8-) brilliant work Darryl!!

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Well I'll be Focke'd, it's done.

All that's left to do is to mount it on an acrylic rod which I expect to arrive this week.

It was, it must be said, a horrible kit to build. If it wasn't promised for this display it would have found itself in the bin a long time ago. However, I have learned a lot from the experience. It's the first time I've attempted painting a spinner spiral; it's the first time I've successfully printed my own decals; and I've learned that when Tom has an alcohol driven wildly ambitious scheme for a SIG display it's best not to encourage him, in particular not to make promises while under the influence of copious amounts of vino collapso ;-)

It's something I shall attempt not to do this year :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice work - I look forward to seeing it at Telford!
Paul

iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent job on what seems to be a dog of a kit!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

With a stiff upper lip: I'm glad to see you got there with the old girl old chap
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TomW

Post by TomW »

That is a work of art Darryl :grin: even more so knowing the hell it put you through during the build.

I promise I wont be having any ideas at all during Telford weekend :ha: not after this marathon.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10