29(F) Squadron XXX - **2 out of 3 FINISHED**

Any subject - air, sea, ground - between the two World Wars, between June 29th 1919 through August 31st 1939.
This GB runs Oct 1 through 31 and your host is Arcwelder.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 29(F) Squadron XXX - no they are not kisses

Post by TeeELL »

I have picked up and put down the Siskin a couple of times, trying to decide whether to tweak the tail skid, given the size and quality of the plastic I have finally decided to leave well alone.

I have done some more work on the Bulldog, instrument panel installed along with the rear bulkhead and the cross brace which I am going to assume provided the anchor for the seat belt shoulder straps.

I very carefully masked the fuselage and applied the filler/primer and then realised that I should have sprayed rather more than that! Well I don't want to hurry now, do I? The fin, prop and wheels are ready for their blue.

The pilot is being worked on, he hasn't an appropriate name just yet. Obviously he has been to Hendon Air Displays as he has a set of white flying overalls and has bought himself a black leather flying helmet and gauntlets. I cannot fathom why the RAF thought white flying overalls was a good idea in an open cockpit aircraft! Anyway, there is work to do on finishing him, then I can remove him from the resin block and see if he fits in the cockpit. He might have to have his lower legs removed so I don't have to mask around him for painting later in the build.

Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Having watched the video on how to use Alclad II (or perhaps how to get the preparation right) I have worked on the forward fuselage of the Bulldog to try and achieve the polished look (to be honest, the lumps and bumps made 'foiling' too much of a challenge).

The base plastic had been polished with micromesh ending with 12000, the primer/filler the same and then the Alclad gloss black.

Once again the gloss black was polished with 12000 before the Chrome was applied

In the flesh the finish looks better than this photo suggests and it is very much as I would expect the finish to be, so I am starting to 'understand' Alclad. The pilot has been fettled to fit and can be sat in the cockpit after all the painting is complete. So, the next task is to spray the olive top surfaces before threading the rigging in the nose and sticking the fuselage halves together. Slowly, slowly I am getting there - only next week to go so I don't think the Demon will get done.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I thought I would add a final photo or 2 of the Siskin.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Rigging 'wire' in place and the fuselage buttoned up, a bit of re-spraying will be necessary because of the seam and I will undertake that in due course. Getting all the major parts primed and rubbed down with grade 8000 micromesh. I hope to apply the aluminium 'Alclad' this evening although I've a Mustang to get ready first.

As with the Siskin, I have not done anything to the upper surface of the upper wing nor lower surface of the bottom wing. That will be completed once the rigging is in place and the grooves filled in.
Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work with the Alclad, you have far more patience than I have; 240 grit is as fine as I go :roll: :oops:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I decided to use Alclad 'Dull Aluminium', not entirely convinced but it does create a good contrast with the 'Chrome'. As expected, the seam needed sanding down and so I've some remedial painting to under take along the spine. I want to set the bottom wing square in the fuselage as soon as possible and then I can get on with the full construction and rigging!!

It looks more like a grey in this photo, but it is 'metallic' in reality.

The seam or, rather, where the seam was is apparent in this photo, I might go fix that as soon as I have posted this.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

A deal of progress has been made today and the Bulldog is taking shape and gaining its identity. I am particularly pleased with the parallel 'flying wires' as they sit in perfect alignment. Down side is the bracing wires to the cabane struts which I superglued into place but which, after adjustment of the wings to sit properly, are now somewhat slack - can't do anything about it :-(. Certainly, I am not going to try heat etc - so I am going to live with it.

And now the aircraft gains all the other aerodynamic surfaces. The 29(F) Sqn fin flash of 'Eagle preying on Buzzard' appears on B&W images of the aircraft so I have produced something appropriate. Undercarriage and odds and ends to be added.

Tony

Current build:
fredk

Post by fredk »

When you ever feel brave enough its easy to tighten nylon or sprue 'wires' with heat.
I light up a cocktail stick, blow out the flame and take the hot glowing end along the 'wire' which pulls tight. It might take two or even three goes to get it really taught, but I usually just go to 'not slack'.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Some fun and games this morning. Having carefully printed out the 29(F) Sqn 'XXXXXX' for the top wing, I discovered it was too long. A few moments on CorelDraw and a selection of varying width versions was produced. I then discovered that I had made the underwing serial numbers too large as well so, again, I had to print replacements reduced by the best part of 5mm.

Most of the minor parts have been painted and will be attached once the decals have dried and been sealed with Klear. I am away teaching aerodynamics over the weekend so next update will be Monday I guess. The Bulldog is close to finishing but the Hawker Demon probably won't be tackled as part of this GB. I have a KORA cockpit detail set for the Demon but the construction guide comprises a sketch of how it should look - no guide on what the bits are or how they should fit together! Looks like a waste of money unfortunately (thank goodness, being retire, I can afford it :-).
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Further to my last:

A couple of photos of the 'home brew' decals in place.

The roundels are printed on white decal paper and the XXXXXXs on clear.

The white bit in the cockpit is the 'booster cushion' so the pilot can see out.

Holes have been drilled to take replacement aerial masts on the wing and I need to do the same on the top of the rudder (that'll be fun)!

I also need to finish painting the circular inspection hatch in the bottom of the cockpit.
Tony

Current build:
fredk

Post by fredk »

When I do the posts into the fin or rudder I first cut a tiny V notch in the edge which keeps the drill from slipping off. Then when I glue the post in the glue fill the nocth as well.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have sorted the aerial on the rudder and replaced the fin/rudder decals (I thought the Bulldog had the reverse 'Blue/White/Red' on the rudder as per the Siskin. I was wrong but decided to create a blue decal for the fin with the 29(F) Sqn emblem incorporated. For some reason the fin/rudder detached very easily from the aircraft. The propeller shaft is too loose a fit in the engine so I have used PVA and sat the aircraft on its tail until the glue dries. The fuel pipes (in red) have been replaced with .5mm rod as the kit parts are a lot over scale.

I will be replacing the fin/rudder shortly and then attaching the aerial wires, nav lights and landing flare holders at which point the aircraft should be finished!!
Tony

Current build:
fredk

Post by fredk »

Some fine work
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Love those kisses. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The Bulldog has been tamed! I have finished the Bulldog (2 out of 3 ain't bad) but I shall not attempt to complete the Hawker Demon as part of this GB. I am all 'rigged out' so I must find a couple of other things to finish.

That's it!!

Oh, apart from a shot of the 2 builds together:

Tony

Current build:

Return to “'tween the Wars”