MDT'S Stripey Growler

60th Anniversary of the Suez Crisis. Air, ground, sea; any scale, etc.
GB runs 5th November to 4th December and your host is iggie.
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

MDT'S Stripey Growler

Post by MDT »

I'm going to attempt to build the lovely Airfix Shackleton, in the scheme of 37 Squadron. Just make life more interesting I've ended up working away this weekend so not likely to make a decent start until Tuesday.
iggie

Re: MDT'S Stripey Growler

Post by iggie »

Great choice of kit and I'll be watching this with interest as I'm building the same for the Eric 'winkle' Brown GB
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MDT

Post by MDT »

iggie wrote:Great choice of kit and I'll be watching this with interest as I'm building the same for the Eric 'winkle' Brown GB
Sounds good.This might might be a good exercise in what not to do!

Like the real aircraft, the Airfix Shackleton needs little introduction -

I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of this kit. I know its not cheap but to me it looks worth it.

This is the subject I'm building...

I bought some replacment wheels and a paint mask set to help speed things up a bit. -

Still not looking forward to doing those stripes!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Good luck with this - it looks BIG.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Leaving the 'window' in the fuselage stripes for the serial code looks like it might be fun!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
MDT

Post by MDT »

iggie wrote:Leaving the 'window' in the fuselage stripes for the serial code looks like it might be fun!
I know looks like a challenge!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MDT wrote:
iggie wrote:Leaving the 'window' in the fuselage stripes for the serial code looks like it might be fun!
Just cut round the number on the decal sheet itself and use that to make a template for the 'window' using Tamiya 40mm tape. Either use the inner to mask the EDSG if you put that down before the stripes or use the frame to spray EDSG on top of the stripes. :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MDT

Post by MDT »

JamesPerrin wrote:
MDT wrote:
Just cut round the number on the decal sheet itself and use that to make a template for the 'window' using Tamiya 40mm tape. Either use the inner to mask the EDSG if you put that down before the stripes or use the frame to spray EDSG on top of the stripes. :mrgreen:
Cheers James thinking latter option!
I've managed to get most of the interior painted so I can hopefully get the fuselage together tomorrow.
Will try and get some pictures up tomorrow.
MDT

Post by MDT »

Okay the interior is going together fairly well...
The main way to deal with so much going in to the fuselage is dry fit, trim, dry fit, trim, dry fit, swear...etc. I found the main single 'table' part D4 is too long so I took off a few mm. Also the instructions are a little vague for the front bulk head as I didn't realise it is designed to allow the pilot's floor sections to overlap into the nose section.
The rear section so far is painlessly fitting as it should.(famous last words!)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Problems aside, that's looking reet good!
Best wishes

Jim
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's a good looking interior!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MDT

Post by MDT »

Cheers guys, here is the last ever view of that interior - It'll be barely visible once the fuselage is joined! Love the fact there is even a decal for the navigators' map and one of the hatches at the rear has a decal marking it as an emergency exit.

The fuselage joining wasn't too painful. I made sure that there was no paint between parts but as usual one of the bulkhead parts (the middle one) was a bit troublesome and took a bit of shaving and sanding before it behaved.

The tail-planes and twin rudders built up easily and very neatly. The rudders and elevators still move. The fit is that good they dont even need cement to fit -

The port wing was a bit of different story.It was slightly warped and refused to fit well at the wing root end but behaved as it should eventually...
I did tried some thing different with the starboard wing by leaving these two strengthening bars of sprue parts in -
This made the wing halves fit much better as it kept the wing root end of the wing square. They needed careful removal but I recommend leaving them in as they help the very flimsy wing sections keep thier shape.

So now we have something looking like a Shackleton -

I've started the Griffon engine pods -

Got to say I'm really enjoying this build - Its a fine kit that seems to have got my Mojo back!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Fast progress. The interior looked great. Nice you'll have these photos to remember it by ;-)

David
MDT

Post by MDT »

dwomby wrote:Fast progress. The interior looked great. Nice you'll have these photos to remember it by ;-)

David
Cheers and yes, its' now pretty much now invisible! Progress has ground to halt due to a busy few days at work - I'm work late shift this week but looking to chip away through my mornings hopefully!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice tip on leaving the sprue bits in place while assembling the wings; I shall make a note of that for future use!

Coming along well now
Best wishes

Jim

Return to “Operation Musketeer 60th Anniversary”