Historical References

Celebrating the man who flew 487 different aircraft, more than any other pilot, and who could be the greatest pilot of all time. We cannot duplicate his feat but each modeler will build a unique aircraft replicating one flown by Captain Brown.
The GB runs 19 November to 18 December and your host is FredK.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Historical References

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here ask questions and post historical information and references about the subject of the GB.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Historical References

Post by splash »

The Works had "Wings on my sleeve" selling for about £6 it's an excellent read with lots of excellent photos.

Wings on my sleeve
By Eric Winkle Brown
ISBN 978-0-7538-2209-8
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

And of course, there's the "Wings" trilogy -- Wings of the Luftwaffe, Wings of the Weird and Wonderful and Wings of the Navy. I read quite a few of the articles in those books when they were originally published in Air Enthusiast/Air International back in the 70s (okay, I'm dating myself here :mrgreen:), and they haven't aged at all. Well illustrated books.

Then there's his book on the Miles M.52 -- interesting, but with just a hint of annoyance at having the prize of supersonic flight snatched from him by short-sighted politicians (is that a tautology? :ha:).

Basically, anything Winkle ever wrote is worth reading.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Tarkas wrote:And of course, there's the "Wings" trilogy -- Wings of the Luftwaffe, Wings of the Weird and Wonderful and Wings of the Navy. I read quite a few of the articles in those books when they were originally published in Air Enthusiast/Air International back in the 70s (okay, I'm dating myself here :mrgreen:), and they haven't aged at all. Well illustrated books.

Then there's his book on the Miles M.52 -- interesting, but with just a hint of annoyance at having the prize of supersonic flight snatched from him by short-sighted politicians (is that a tautology? :ha:).

Basically, anything Winkle ever wrote is worth reading.
True. I have Wings on my Sleeve and Wings of the Navy, and Wings of the Luftwaffe but didn't know about the Weird and Wonderful. Thanks for that, will have to look for it. He does seem to have an honest, truthful not arrogant or whatever way of writing, which could have been the case considering everything he got up to!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Eric 'Winkle' Brown Memorial GB”