Sign-up and Chat

Celebrating the man who flew 487 different aircraft, more than any other pilot, and who could be the greatest pilot of all time. We cannot duplicate his feat but each modeler will build a unique aircraft replicating one flown by Captain Brown.
The GB runs 19 November to 18 December and your host is FredK.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by fredk »

iggie wrote:Please Sir, can I change my build? :oops:
Instead of the Shack, can I do a Blackburn Firebrand instead please? It's the Valom 1/72 kit

(If anyone has any ideas as to what scheme/serials the one(s) flown by Eric Brown was I would be grateful to hear! :-D )
Go for it. No-one else has claimed it.
I'll update name/subject list later.
Its coffee time now
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

fredk wrote:
iggie wrote:Please Sir, can I change my build? :oops:
Instead of the Shack, can I do a Blackburn Firebrand instead please? It's the Valom 1/72 kit

(If anyone has any ideas as to what scheme/serials the one(s) flown by Eric Brown was I would be grateful to hear! :-D )
Go for it. No-one else has claimed it.
I'll update name/subject list later.
Its coffee time now
Cheers Fred, off to garage to get it out of the stash :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Iggie

There's a list somewhere I found on Britmodeller that has some of the serials of aircraft Eric Brown flew. Here's what it says on Firebrands

Blackburn Firebrand I DK366, Firebrand III DK387 DK389

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

dwomby wrote:Iggie

There's a list somewhere I found on Britmodeller that has some of the serials of aircraft Eric Brown flew. Here's what it says on Firebrands

David
Wonderful David, exactly what I was looking for. I can't promise that I'll be able to match the serials, but I'll try my best
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I'm thinking that since Eric Brown flew prototypes and experimentals, I should experiment and build my first resin kit for this GB. I have the Magna Spearfish and could build RA356 which Brown flew but when he flew her, she was natural metal. Later RA356 was painted in interior green all over. I'd prefer her in that later scheme as it's unique, I think. Would that be acceptable?

If we are restricted to aircraft in the markings worn when Brown flew them, that will be fine as I have a couple of back up choices available.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Never mind. I just had the sense to go back and actually read the instructions for this GB. I'll pick something else from the stash.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

iggie wrote:
dwomby wrote:Iggie

David
Wonderful David, exactly what I was looking for. I can't promise that I'll be able to match the serials, but I'll try my best
Well, the Valom kit is neither a Mk.1 or Mk.III, it's a TF Mk.II so that's me stuffed :cry:

To be honest though, I think I'm going to have to declare a DNS for this GB; work is piling in, we've just sold the house, I have to go to Italy on business next week AND I still need to finish my Wyvern for the Suez GB (and as I'm GBL I think that has to take priority of what little bench time I will be getting for the foreseeable future).
I'm sorry to have had to leave it like this, and will pop in to keep up with all the other great builds
Best wishes

Jim
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry to see you go but, not trying to affect your decision, isn't the TF1 the same as TF2 except the wing centre section something chopped out to make span a bit less?

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

dwomby wrote:Sorry to see you go but, not trying to affect your decision, isn't the TF1 the same as TF2 except the wing centre section something chopped out to make span a bit less?

David
I think from the little research I managed today on the train that this is about the only real difference David, but I'm really having too much trouble fitting in nailing kits together OOB, let alone starting major surgery! :shock:
But thanks for the info :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
fredk

Post by fredk »

Has anyone got any details about the Dornier 335 Eric flew?
I picked up a Lindberg one cheap and I think I'll build it for this GB.
The markings which come with it are very basic and wrong.
I have some RAF type ones, from a Frog kit I think. Would they be the markings for the one Eric flew?
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

fredk wrote:Has anyone got any details about the Dornier 335 Eric flew?
I picked up a Lindberg one cheap and I think I'll build it for this GB.
The markings which come with it are very basic and wrong.
I have some RAF type ones, from a Frog kit I think. Would they be the markings for the one Eric flew?
This website has photos (about halfway down) of AM223, Farnboroughs 335A-12. IIRC Winkle flew it on the morning of the day that it crashed as he prepped the pilot for solo qualification.

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t40447-t ... nnique-oui;

...and a report on the aircraft and incident.

http://www.airsciences.org.uk/FASTPress ... 202016.pdf;
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Seeing as 'Sub Lieutenant Brown, Martlet pilot' got such a positive response, I'll hopefully get a chance to do 'Commander Brown, Sea Hawk pilot' if I get the MG finished in time. :-D
fredk

Post by fredk »

Purplethistle wrote:Seeing as 'Sub Lieutenant Brown, Martlet pilot' got such a positive response, I'll hopefully get a chance to do 'Commander Brown, Sea Hawk pilot' if I get the MG finished in time. :-D
Sounds excellent.
Thanks for the Do.335 links.
The Frog decals are for that machine, but the Lindberg kit is for a single seater thus I can't do it for this GB.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

OK, now my Musketeer build is out of the way, it's time to start. I knowI could have had both on the go at once but just didn't fancy it.

Since I've lost time dithering, I'll do Spiteful RB521 (but may change my mind if the fancy takes me and convert it to Seafang F32 VB895!)

David
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Whilst looking for details of the Dornier 335 for Fred I found an article that confirmed a story about Winkle that I heard a while ago and had thought might have been exaggerated in the retelling. But no! this is Winkle we're talking about. :-D
The story is of how he earned extra pocket money whilst a student - As a 'Wall of death' rider......on a motorcycle with a sidecar!.......oh! and a lion in the sidecar! :shock:
Unfortunately it's too late now to source a 1/35 bike and sidecar...and a lion for a dio for this GB. :sad: We REALLY need to set up a permanent Winkle section just to touch on a fraction of his exploits.

Return to “Eric 'Winkle' Brown Memorial GB”