1/48 Hughes 500

Celebrating the man who flew 487 different aircraft, more than any other pilot, and who could be the greatest pilot of all time. We cannot duplicate his feat but each modeler will build a unique aircraft replicating one flown by Captain Brown.
The GB runs 19 November to 18 December and your host is FredK.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

1/48 Hughes 500

Post by splash »

Now all my Telford builds are out of the way I can clear my bench ready to start the Tamiya 1/48 Grumman Wildcat.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: 1/48 [strk]Martlet[/strk] Hughes 500

Post by splash »

I forgot that both Brickie and I had picked the same a/c type so I'm going to change my selection to a Hughes 500.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: 1/48 Hughes 500

Post by Purplethistle »

Interesting one! There's a photo of an actual Whirlwind that Winkle flew that I thought you would have been all over!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Purplethistle wrote:Interesting one! There's a photo of an actual Whirlwind that Winkle flew that I thought you would have been all over!
It did pass my mind, as I have seen a photo of him next to a Whirlwind 7 after he had a forced landing in a snow drift south of Banff in Scotland, only three weeks befor he left the Navy in 1970.

The problem is trying to get your hands on a Whirlwind 7 the Italari kits are good and I have two in the stash but they need extensive surgery to extend the area under the rear cabin to add the weapons bay and the good old Airfix kit has the wrong tail :cry:
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Need any close up shots of an OH-6A(Hughes 500) to help? We do have the one we restored at the museum. I can also offer up info from parts manuals and maintenance manuals if you need it
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Tony

Thanks for the offer, for the last few months I have been bogged down scratch building ship conversions for the CBK SIG display at Telford, so this will be a relaxing straightforward build with just a colour change, so I'm not planning on doing extra detail.

Having said that how often have I said "this will be an OOB build" and it finished up with major changes? :shock:

Once I have started if I need extra detail I will give you a shout, thanks again for the offer of help it is always appreciate.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Here is my target build

As you can see the parts count is small but you do get a nice little police motor bike :-D

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Hughes 500 is a nice looking little helo IMHO. Looking at the four-into-two exhaust system on the sprue for the police bike and the shape of the bike's engine, the motorcycle geek in me is led to believe that it is possibly a Kawasaki KZ1000 police model, which I think the California Highway Patrol used for a period.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Kitaholic
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Kitaholic »

Brings back memories of CHiPS, God I'm getting old
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You always think American stuff is big in comparison with British aircraft, so when I saw one at the Helicopter Museum I wasn't prepared for how dinky it is!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

I built another Academy version awhile back. Only issue I had is the canopy glass lining up. Nothing horrible, just more of a pain.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

JamesPerrin wrote:You always think American stuff is big in comparison with British aircraft, so when I saw one at the Helicopter Museum I wasn't prepared for how dinky it is!
Yes, quite small, but extremely agile and tough at the same time. This is the museum bird I restored, pre-paint and stripping of non-era parts.

Regards, Tony

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I recall we had an American Army exchange pilot on our Squadron who flew in Vietnam, he said if ever you are going to crash in a helicopter make sure you are in Hughes 500 as it's the strongest cockpit around.

As this is a 500D I think I might have to change the tail and loose one rotor blade.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ShaunW wrote:The Hughes 500 is a nice looking little helo IMHO. Looking at the four-into-two exhaust system on the sprue for the police bike and the shape of the bike's engine, the motorcycle geek in me is led to believe that it is possibly a Kawasaki KZ1000 police model, which I think the California Highway Patrol used for a period.
Well spotted the instructions say Kawasaki Police 1000.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Ok work has now started, the compact little cockpit shows why the design is so strong as the pilots and passengers all sit within the fuselarge.

As the cockpit is so compact I'm not going to add too much detail as most of will not be seen.

Return to “Eric 'Winkle' Brown Memorial GB”