Dazz Komet ##

Celebrating the man who flew 487 different aircraft, more than any other pilot, and who could be the greatest pilot of all time. We cannot duplicate his feat but each modeler will build a unique aircraft replicating one flown by Captain Brown.
The GB runs 19 November to 18 December and your host is FredK.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazz Komet ##

Post by Dazzled »

My GB entry is a slightly started Meng Me163 Komet that, handily, comes with the markings for the captured aircraft test flown by Eric Brown.

I'll pop up some pictures very soon.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Dazz Komet

Post by Purplethistle »

The 1/32 one? Cool!
In that scale you'll be able to do a Winkle figure to go with it! :-D
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Purplethistle wrote:The 1/32 one? Cool!
In that scale you'll be able to do a Winkle figure to go with it! :-D
Maybe if it was in 1/12th PT. I'm afraid that figure modelling isn't something I've got the hang of yet so I'll leave that to the talented people like yourself :)

Anyhow, here's the Komet.

Meng put it in a clever slidey sleeve box with a cut out to match the aircraft.

I also have these rather spiffy Barracuda cast resin wheels for it.

This is the version I'll be building.

As flown by Winkle on July 7th 1945.

And this is how much of it is started.

Complete with coating of dust where it's been sat on the shelf of shame for so long. :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Just stumbled on this GB. I am a great fan of 'Winkle'.
And having recently completed the old Heller kit, this 'modern' kit will be interesting.
Great scheme!

cheers,

David
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This will be fun to watch.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I haven't seen this build for a while Daz! Over the SMW weekend I had a brief chat to a bloke in the International's lift, as you do, who had found one of these kits during one of his forays around the show for £45.00, which I think he considered to be a steal. I don't know what the retail price is/was of the kit but probably above my self-imposed limit! Still, it looks to be nice enough and the correct RAF markings are very handy indeed for this GB. Did Brown fly one of these death traps under power or did he take the sensible option and fly it just as a glider?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

ShaunW wrote:I haven't seen this build for a while Daz! Over the SMW weekend I had a brief chat to a bloke in the International's lift, as you do, who had found one of these kits during one of his forays around the show for £45.00, which I think he considered to be a steal. I don't know what the retail price is/was of the kit but probably above my self-imposed limit! Still, it looks to be nice enough and the correct RAF markings are very handy indeed for this GB. Did Brown fly one of these death traps under power or did he take the sensible option and fly it just as a glider?
Apparently he was the only man to fly it under power.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and ... ew-in-1945;
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I didn't know that PT. IMHO anyone who flew one of these aircraft under power had some guts as the type was statistically more dangerous to its operators than to the enemy thanks to the extreme volatility of its two fuels.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Both fuels were also corrosive to organic materials. Basically, it ate through clothing, leather and flesh. It must have took no little nerve to be part of the ground crew.

Just hope I get time to build this as at the moment work has gone crazy again :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

mmmm, I missed the start of this.
Normally only un-started kits are allowed with maybe one exception allowed.
But right now I'm not fussed; hardly anything is done on your kit and I look forward to seeing it finished
Its an interesting subject, so lets hope you find time to get it done and it doesn't go back on the SoS

I think the reports of air and ground crew being dissolved by the fuels has been highly exaggerated and turned to urban myth. There were some injuries but as much as is often supposedly reported.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fredk wrote:mmmm, I missed the start of this.
Normally only un-started kits are allowed with maybe one exception allowed.
But right now I'm not fussed; hardly anything is done on your kit and I look forward to seeing it finished
Its an interesting subject, so lets hope you find time to get it done and it doesn't go back on the SoS

I think the reports of air and ground crew being dissolved by the fuels has been highly exaggerated and turned to urban myth. There were some injuries but as much as is often supposedly reported.

I'm pretty sure I ran this by you a while back Fred and I've always said that it was part started. I lost a bit of steam with it after a small control wheel went missing. I made a new one but the thing ground to a halt and took my mojo with it.

Unfortunately, I'm having the same trouble now. I think it's tiredness as all I've managed to do today is drop off for a couple of hours. :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

If you brought it to my attention earlier then I profusely apologise. I have the memory of the proverbial goldfish.

Its the change in weather. I've done nowt yesterday nor today
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

ShaunW wrote:IMHO anyone who flew one of these aircraft under power had some guts as the type was statistically more dangerous to its operators than to the enemy thanks to the extreme volatility of its two fuels.
Dazzled wrote:Both fuels were also corrosive to organic materials. Basically, it ate through clothing, leather and flesh. It must have took no little nerve to be part of the ground crew.
More to fly it, methinks -- or, rather, to land it. There was a triple whammy about landing the Komet. First and probably most dangerous was the possibility of an explosion if there was any significant quantity of the fuels left in the combustion chamber which might get shaken into contact with each other. I've seen a film clip of single drops of C-Stoff and T-stoff mixing, and the bang is frightening. Second was the already-mentioned corrosive nature of the aforementioned chemicals, which were known to spill into the cockpit things went wrong on touchdown. And third -- and though not fatal, still pretty horrible: how many aircraft have a medical condition named after them? :roll: -- was "Komet back", or spinal compression caused by landing after forgetting to release the compression lock on the skid before touchdown (thus forcing the skid structure to be effectively rigid -- no shock absorption).

Looking forward to seeing the model, regardless of the dangers of flying the real thing.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I was hoping to see it finished too but, just when I thought I'd managed to duck and dive my way into a realistic work schedule so I could get some bench time in, the time thieving fairy (related to the carpet monster and the laminate floor goblin) has done her usual level best to keep me at a distance from any styrene.
This time it's my daughter who, being a couple of weeks or so away from making me a grandfather, has just been informed that she will be moving into her own place imminently, possibly before the end of this week. Muggins here is, apparently, on moving and decorating duty :frown: ......and I bloody hate decorating :evil:
Between this and work it'll be a miracle if I get any modelling time in before Christmas :sad:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

Ahh, families, don't we just love them
Don't answer that.
Best wishes all round to youse

Return to “Eric 'Winkle' Brown Memorial GB”