Banzai! KB gets a touch of the Divine Wind

A Single-Type GB of the A6M Zero in any scale, variant, configuration, etc, as well as a few closely related aircraft of the family.
The GB runs 28 Jan through 28 Feb and your host is Gadfly.
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Banzai! KB gets a touch of the Divine Wind

Post by Kevan Bailey »

This isn’t what I originally had planned for this GB. What I meant to do was build a Harvard and paint it up as a Zero, movie-style, all the while maintaining the pretence that it was indeed a Zero. However, Daren beat me to it, so I had to re-think.

I have a soft spot for 28mm figures, and consequently 1/48, so I like to see what’s around. I came across this kamikaze ceremony set from Legend and stored away the details as a possibility for later. This Zero build seemed like a good opportunity to use them, with the figures being the main focus and the plane being literally in the background.

The figures are resin, made in Korea and really hard to get for anything like sensible money, but I struck lucky with a Korean supplier on ebay and the projected delivery time of six weeks turned out to be ten days. You can get them through US suppliers, but they’re at least twice as much with postage, tax and the ever-shrinking value of sterling.

I chose the old Tamiya kit because it was cheap, eleven quid from Amazon, but look at the state it was delivered in. Just a label stuck on the box, then sent straight off, no outer wrapper or anything. Luckily nothing was broken inside, so I didn’t bother reporting the seller which I really should have done.

The reviews of this kit tend to lead you to think that it’s going to be a bit of an old clunker; it actually looks very decent and I particularly like the way Tamiya provide little sidebar tips for detailing the cockpit and undercarriage. It’s the first Tamiya aircraft I’ve ever built and I’m pretty impressed, so the recent ones really must be as good as everyone says they are if this is anything to go by. Swordfish, here we come.

I’m going to start this build as soon after the start date as I can, since I’ve only got two weeks before we’re off to the other house. I’m planning to begin with the plane and work on the figures in the down-time; I’ll have plenty of this as I’m intending that it will be a rather battered example, so I’ll need to paint it in aluminium first, mask it, put the top coat on, then the markings which I guess I’ll have to hand paint to get the right effect. But we’ll see.

Kevan Bailey
Gadfly
Active Participant

Re: Banzai! KB gets a touch of the Divine Wind

Post by Gadfly »

Well thats a great entry to the GB. The Old tool Tamiya A6M5 is a pretty decent kit. You have the later boxing by the looks. Tamiya have replaced this kit now with a new tool kit which is pretty much the 1/48 benchmark for Zero's.

The Legend Figures look great. Reminds me of the Airfield Scene in 'Empire of the Sun'.

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers

GF
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Nice idea for the GB Kevan!
I can see the attraction of not bothering to package a kit, I spent hours boxing and protecting a built kit which I then sold on eBay just before Christmas, and posted via the eBay/Argos drop-off arrangement.....

The photographs sent to me by the buyer on it's arrival clearly show someone has jumped up and down on the parcel and destroyed the contents...

Strangely, eBay announced that their arrangement with Argos would cease this January; I wonder why? I may have been better off tying a label around the tail and posting it without packaging; that way all could have seen it's fragile nature!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Gadfly wrote: The Legend Figures look great. Reminds me of the Airfield Scene in 'Empire of the Sun'.

GF
The best bit in the film....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rl4efJAeE[/youtube]
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Depends if you view the film as a all action war movie or an allergorical tale about coming of age.

You can buy a decal set for those mustangs.....
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I have an "Empire" Mustang build planned.... ;-)
Daren

Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Well, I said I was going to start as soon as possible due to time constraints, so I've put six hours in today and this is how far I've got:

The interior is done, the engine is assembled and primed and I've started on the flaps.

I'd originally intended building the Zero straight from the box, but I really liked the way Tamiya put the little construction tips on the instruction sheet so I decided to follow them. The seatbelts are bog-standard masking tape and wire, based on photographs of the Eduard P. E. set which I'd seen used on a Zero build on another forum. I used the aotake blue lacquer shade as apparently by 1945 Zeros were being built by Nakajima, who used this interior finish. I've read all sorts of ways to replicate this shade but I opted for the GS aqueous version and it looks fine.

I spent a couple of hours on the engine; the pushrods are on, but need a bit of adjustment as some are on the wonk. The ignition wiring was easier than I thought it was going to be, but I've done nothing with the rear cylinder bank as you're never going to see it.

I've made a start on the flaps, which I want to model down. Ironically I never do this and this is one of the first kits I've built where there isn't sufficient detail and you have to scratch build them. The one I've completed took about an hour.

Anyway, that's enough for today; I'll probably put a few more hours in tomorrow.
Kevan Bailey
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Good start!
Daren

iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the seat belts; very nice work
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Aye looks good so far
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Quite nice.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Off to a good start.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent start with some great additional detailing. I have to say that I am less than impressed with the way that the vendor sent the kit to you though.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Just done a long day on this build.

The airframe is now assembled, primed and painted; it went together like a dream, no gaps or raised joins, it barely needed sanding. I normally use gloss black primer but on this occasion I left it in the grey car primer I always use as I didn't want the effect to be too shiny. It's worked too: I used the 'wheels up' undercarriage flaps to mask off the wheel wells and as they are moulded in that very dark green glossy plastic that Tamiya used to be fond of, there's a real contrast between the grey-primed area and the one which is very similar to the primer colour I'd normally use for a metallic. Just goes to show, the final effect of Vallejo metal colours really does depend on what you spray them onto.

The engine is now painted; I gave the ignition wiring a contrasting colour just so that you can see it's there (well, you have to, don't you?). There was some dodgy provenance for the reddish colour, but just because some other modeller did it this way don't mean it's right.

Now, these little fellows have been a nightmare. They're resin castings, say no more; I won't bore you with the details, the memory's too recent. They're in a coat of primer at the moment, which is where I've noticed that they're full of pinholes, on top of everything else. They were an absolute bugger to get together, about four hours, honestly. One of the showata (I'll assume they're wartime munitions quality, not the traditionally-made katana) broke into three pieces.

I'm having a day off tomorrow.
Kevan Bailey
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Looks great!
Daren

Return to “A6M 'Zero' Fighter”