Miguelito's KP Mig-15 - Finished and Complete

UAMF's signature event, Fun for all !!!
Runs 1 - 28 Feb; your hosts are Jssel and FredK.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Miguelito's KP Mig-15 - Finished and Complete

Post by mjatx »

I missed the last Blitzbau, so I'm going to try and make up for it this time. My first project/attempt will be this oldie, but goodie?

Since it comes with a nice little stand, it'll be built in-flight and without drop tanks or missiles. Hopefully not having to do landing gear and other attachments will speed up the process a little. I'm also hoping the kit's decals hold up, because I'm running low on Soviet markings in the spares box.

Been on a bit of a Soviet equipment kick recently, not sure why, but if the decals hold up, I plan on doing this one as a North Korean plane....which more than likely had a pilot who didn't speak any Korean.

I have a fairly busy weekend coming up, but I'm going to try and sneak this one in between everything else. I'm going to try and get this one going Friday night (Austin, Texas time), so probably very early Saturday morning for those closer to Greenwich Mean Time.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Miguelito's KP Mig-15 - Starting sometime this weekend..

Post by jssel »

Ooooooo. This will be good.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Miguelito's KP Mig-15 - Starting sometime this weekend..

Post by ShaunW »

I've never built a KP kit of any vintage Mig but the choice of subject is one of my favourite classic jets. I'll try and look in over the weekend. Best of luck with it!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Re: Miguelito's KP Mig-15 - Part 1 of 2 Started 7:20pm

Post by mjatx »

After getting home from work, I found out that my Saturday had become very full with commitments to family, so this one is going to be done as a two-part saga. More than likely started tonight, and the second part taking place tomorrow evening, into Sunday. Of course, as in years' past, I'll probably be building and posting this one by myself since late nights in Central Texas are usually late night/early mornings most every where else.

At 7:20pm, local time, I cracked open the kit and decided to give it a start.

Turns out, it pretty much a mess of flash and ill-fitting parts. Can't say I'm surprised. As this will be built in-flight, I'll need to add a pilot to the office. No pilot is provided, so I'll see what I've got for modern pilots in the spares.

The instructions seem simple enough. Step 1 - put the model together. Step 2 - add anything that wasn't put on the model in Step 1.

In spite of the instructions, I did get the cockpit assembled. Not much to go with. Although I did add, what I believe are landing gear parts, in place of the foot pedals. Oh well, hopefully, they'll help hold up the pilot, because the cockpit seems a little over-sized for 1/72. It has a decent I/P, some details to the side consoles, and an attempt at a ejection seat, so I'm not going to complain and it's much better than expected.

So, after an hour, here's where it stands (lays?). Doesn't look like much has been done, but I think I've got this one right where I want it.

Stay tuned!
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I got the cockpit together and painted.

Only to realize I had put it in the tub backwards.... :shock:

So, I pulled it apart, touched it up, and redid it. Then I attempted to get it lined up in the fuselage. There's no guides, and way to mount it. The cockpit just kind of hangs there with a small part of the back of seat touching the back of the cockpit.

One bright spot. I found a pilot in the spares. He's from a Harrier, so may be too modern, but he'll have to do. Turns out the cockpit is a little oversized, so the pilot is basically standing in there.

Then I went to see how the canopy fit. It doesn't.

I think once I get past the canopy/cockpit issues, I'll be home free!

Famous last words.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Looking good
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

After just under 5 hours, here's where we stand. I got the fuselage halves together, and the fit wasn't the worst I've ever seen. The nose left a lot to be desired, but overall, not terrible. The wings to fuselage connection was pretty bad.

Now, the plane has some putty drying. Hopefully, I can get seams filled before heading off to bed and basically finishing Part 1 of the two-part Blitz.

I'll work on better lighting tomorrow.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

jssel wrote:Looking good
Thanks for checking in!

Doesn't feel like it's going well. I knew it would be a challenge to build, but this one had a couple surprises I wasn't expecting. Once it's built, painting should go relatively quickly, but after what I've seen so far, decals could be the next big issue.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Stepped away from the bench for an hour, or so. Came back, worked on some seams, and got the canopy attached. It's about 2:30am, local time, and I'm calling Part 1 done.

I was hoping to get it primed, but distractions and taking forever to finish the cockpit kept that from happening. Oh well. It'll be mostly painting in the next session. A few more areas to clean up first, but nothing overwhelming.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It a fighter isn't it :mrgreen:

Nice painting in the tub
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with this and the cockpit tub is certainly much better detailed than I was expecting to see. The kit might be a little rough around the edges but it looks a whole lot better than the original Airfix MiG-15, which to date is the only 1/72nd kit that I have built of the type.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looks like you've had a battle on your hands! Nice work on the IP especially, and the cockpit in general

Good luck when you re-start!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Woke up early to head out on a 6 mile hike with my son and friends. Probably shouldn't have stayed up until 3am.... :oops:

Looked at the clock and realized I was still within my 12 hour 1st phase window, and thought I should put some primer on the little Mig!

I'll do a better check later, but I was really concerned about the nose and wing joins, but they're looking OK.

NOW, the 1st session is complete, and I think I can get the second session started this evening....if I don't fall asleep first.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

JamesPerrin wrote:It a fighter isn't it :mrgreen:

Nice painting in the tub
Thanks, James. It really is a cool design.

ShaunW wrote:Great work with this and the cockpit tub is certainly much better detailed than I was expecting to see. The kit might be a little rough around the edges but it looks a whole lot better than the original Airfix MiG-15, which to date is the only 1/72nd kit that I have built of the type.
Thanks, Shaun.

I've never built that one, but thanks for the warning. The cockpit surprised me too.

iggie wrote:Looks like you've had a battle on your hands! Nice work on the IP especially, and the cockpit in general

Good luck when you re-start!
Thanks, Iggie. I think most of the battle is over, at least I hope. Not sure what the decals are going to be like.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Looking very sweet.

Return to “Blitzbau XX”